UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2019, 11:48 pm   #1
Jennyblox
Retired Dormant Member

Default Elmo projection set value/info????

I was wondering if you could help me? My grandfather sadly passed away recently and we came along his Elmo projection set. It is in incredible condition and has clearly been much loved.

We are looking to eventually sell this equipment and have done some research into its history . But would love more info about them

I was wondering, how much a set like this would value at and indeed where they could be sold appropriately? I would love for it to be sold to someone passionate about this type of equipment.

Thank you very much for your time

Jen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20190402_223202.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	180804   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20190402_223304.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	180805   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20190402_223240.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	180806   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20190402_223342.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	180807  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 2:55 pm   #2
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Elmo projection set value/info????

The short answer is it's not worth a light, Elmo was a good brand but its time has been and gone.

As it stands at the moment the microphone would be the most sought after item and the projector maybe sought after by someone building a digital conversion unit.

Stick it on Ebay with say a £40 reserve. It should find its natural level.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 2:57 pm   #3
Jennyblox
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you

Any ideas on when it was made? Can't seem to find year of manufacture anywhere.

Also, how easy is it to have recorded reels converted to DVD? We found loads of old movies he made and I would love to watch them
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 3:13 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There are plenty of places that will convert super-8 filmstock to DVD: my local 'professional' photocopying/digital-printing place does it.

Have a look here: https://fujifilmphotoservices.co.uk/ to see if you've got such a place locally?
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 3:17 pm   #5
paulsherwin

A lot of the high street photo processors are offering this service now.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 3:27 pm   #6
Jennyblox
Retired Dormant Member

This is great thank you. Will definitely look it up when it comes to selling, is it better to sell individually or as a set?
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 4:19 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Of course you could always set up the projector and screen and watch them as they were meant to be watched. I'm sure your Grandad would approve!
These were popular in the Sixties and Seventies, but as said above they aren't much in demand now. I tried to sell some similar equipment on eBay recently for a friend and drew a blank.
I'd try selling all at once, and if someone wanted to make you an offer for a single item they could.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 4:32 pm   #8
paulsherwin

There is plenty of info on digitising home movies yourself on the web if you google, though that obviously requires the projector to be in full working order, and a professional may achieve better results.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 4:45 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

As it is a sound projector (Super 8 only) it might be of more interest to enthusiasts than a silent model. Possibly the camera is a sound model as well. New films for it are no longer made, but it will take silent films too. "The Widescreen Centre" shop in London did have some black and white sound films last year.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 6:16 pm   #10
Jennyblox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Of course you could always set up the projector and screen and watch them as they were meant to be watched. I'm sure your Grandad would approve!
These were popular in the Sixties and Seventies, but as said above they aren't much in demand now. I tried to sell some similar equipment on eBay recently for a friend and drew a blank.
I'd try selling all at once, and if someone wanted to make you an offer for a single item they could.
I don't know enough about it and I'm literally terrified of ruining the reel. But I would love to.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 8:44 pm   #11
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyblox View Post

I don't know enough about it and I'm literally terrified of ruining the reel. But I would love to.

The machine is probably simple enough to load, but age is against it (1970s maybe?), in that it will probably need checking and servicing by someone who knows, before you put any rare films through it and maybe damage them. These sound machines have a pinch roller (like a tape recorder) in them which can shrivel and wither with age and although the film might pass through the projector ok it could pick up dirt and scratches from the decaying roller.

So if you have some old films to go with it (and you don't know enough about the equipment) then have them transferred professionally to a modern digital format at a transfer house specializing in 'Super 8' film..plenty on the web as you may have some precious family memories there. The cost may run from two figures into the lower end of three figures depending on how many 'reels' you have,but obviously you have to weigh up if it's important to you.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 3rd Apr 2019 at 9:07 pm.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:03 pm   #12
Jennyblox
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your help. Really is appreciated.
Yes will definitely get in touch with someone to convert to DVD. Think one of them is my parents' wedding which would be incredible to see.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:27 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

Don't dispose of the films after they've been digitised- there's every chance that those originals may outlive any DVDs etc unless you religiously keep backups!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Apr 2019, 8:04 am   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Projecting the films onto a screen and filming them with a basic digital camera firmly mounted gives incredibly good results. John.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 8:28 am   #15
KeithsTV
Nonode

But turn off the auto focus as it can get confused by the moving images.

Keith
Old 4th Apr 2019, 9:22 am   #16
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyblox View Post
Thank you for your help. Really is appreciated.
Yes will definitely get in touch with someone to convert to DVD. Think one of them is my parents' wedding which would be incredible to see.
This is a typical transfer house chosen at random.

https://www.digitalconverters.co.uk/...99b2f6f9b394b0
Closed Thread