UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2014, 9:20 am   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: More BRC 950/960 Problems

The reason for the pulse capacitor running hot is likely to be the properties of the dielectric. Mechanical vibration takes place in the capacitor, between the plates and the dielectric. That's the nature of this kind of component when operating at 15Khz and the high AC currents that exist in line timebase circuits. Nevertheless, it is desirable that the component is replaced.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 9:38 am   #22
Focus Diode
Octode

Many thanks Tas and David. Some tidying is needed such as shortening the extended PL504 anode lead which I'll do once the pulse capacitor is replaced. The 180pF capacitor I fitted is new old stock!

Cheers,
Brian
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 11:34 am   #23
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
As expected the intermittent wobbles and shimmer persist, an entirely different problem of course, I'll look into it another time
Excellent job, I have been avidly following this story. As for the shimmers and wobbles I had this problem on my own Decca Bradford. The fault would clear after the set had been running for 20-30 minutes. Closer observation revealed a glowing blue cloud within the glass envelope of the PL509, this would vary in size and intensity until almost clearing after about 20-30 minutes. With this in mind it might be worth trying a replacement PL504 an/or PY800.
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 7:07 pm   #24
Focus Diode
Octode

Many thanks Simon. I've already tried another 30FL14 and PFL200. The PL504 and PY801 were new when fitted last November, this of course doesn't rule out the possibility of them being faulty. I'll try replacing them when I find the spare ones. Gently tapping them in situ has no effect on the fault which seems worse on 405.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 27th Apr 2014, 9:44 pm   #25
Focus Diode
Octode

...Not forgetting the EF80 of course.

An update- Simon, it looks as if you're right. I dug out a used PY800 and an interesting French Mazda PL504. These were fitted and functioned very nicely with no signs of the horrible shimmers or ragged verticals. The set performed like a monitor. The PL504 gave a nice blue glow as can be seen from the photo which soon faded out after a few minutes.

The last three pictures show the set in action on programme. The first is a typical Macrovision effect from a DVD on 625-lines, taken from an episode of "Van Der Valk". Interestingly the Aurora cancels it out when viewed on 405-lines. The 405 image from "Special Branch", a most excellent 1969 series, shows some dotted interference resulting from the DVD player. Doesn't distract from the enjoyment of viewing.

It's worth noting the dramatic reduction in the intensity of the 405-line whistle with the 1400 LOPT in the set. It was very strong and loud when the original red transformer was working.

Many thanks again for everyone's suggestions, help and support. One doesn't like to assume new components or valves could result in problems and are often the last things to check when tackling a puzzling fault condition!

Next step is to work on a permanant heat shield for above the PL504 & PY800.

Cheers again,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	French Mazda PL504.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	92087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tidied up- in operation.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	92088   Click image for larger version

Name:	625 showing Macrovision from DVD.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	92089   Click image for larger version

Name:	on 405- no Macrovision lines.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	92090   Click image for larger version

Name:	405 showing some DVD player interference.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	92091  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 27th Apr 2014 at 9:59 pm.
Old 28th Apr 2014, 2:01 pm   #26
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

That's great news Brian, it's really cheered me up. That picture does look good. An interesting set well worth the pain and trouble saving.
Old 29th Apr 2014, 9:20 am   #27
Focus Diode
Octode

Cheers Simon. Inevitably the CRT is beginning to show signs of failing emission so would be nice to obtain a replacement in the near future. I'm sure anything from the original CME 1601 (unprotected) to a later Rimband type would be suitable. I'll be putting a request in the "Parts Wanted" section in due course.

I'm also looking for a VHF telescopic aerial to replace the broken one at the back. Although holes for a UHF loop aerial are provided it looks like one has never been fitted to this model.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Broken VHF telescopic aerial.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	92154   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV 2633 rear.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	92155  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 29th Apr 2014 at 9:26 am.
Old 29th Apr 2014, 1:59 pm   #28
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

My friends in Cornwall had one of these sets, no UHF tuner but it would switch to 625. It also had a telescopic rod aerial. In the main two rooms of the house it worked off the main loft aerial but anywhere else it worked well off its fitted telescopic aerial pulling in BBC1 from either Redruth on ch1, North Hessary Tor on ch2 and Westward TV from Caradon Hill on ch12. I think this set was very high gained on 405 but never seen it work on 625.
Old 29th Apr 2014, 3:08 pm   #29
KeithsTV
Nonode

I have a telescopic aerial from a GEC set I scrapped recently. You're welcome to have it for the cost of postage or I can take it to NVCF on 11th May.

It may need a little fettling to get it to fit though but the telescopic part is complete and comes with a cable and co-ax plug.

Keith
Old 29th Apr 2014, 5:24 pm   #30
Focus Diode
Octode

Brilliant Keith, many thanks. I'll be sending you a PM shortly.

Wonderful memories there Simon. The VHF gain is indeed very high, UHF is potentially good though the tuner is faulty in my set, giving low/varying gain on the lower UHF channels but OK from Ch60 upwards. I've set the modulator to Ch64, our old BBC-2 channel. I'll replace it should another turn up in the future. Some models were indeed sold without UHF tuners which could be fitted at a later date. Seeing no loop aerial was ever fitted to mine it's possible it was such an example. There's also no channel markings on the UHF tuner knob!

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HMV 2633 from PTV Oct 1965.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	92177  
Old 10th Jun 2014, 6:38 pm   #31
Focus Diode
Octode

No problems with the set to report! Had a look at the broken VHF whip aerial this evening. Unfortunately the aerial kindly supplied by Keith turned out to be unsuitable for the set. Very many thanks again, if you want it back please let me know.

I also purchased a whip aerial at the NVCF event. This again turned out to be too thick to fit through the ball bearing. I found a famous supermarket sell this magnetic telescopic rod intended for retrieving screws etc. For £1 I thought I'd fit it to see how it looks in situ.

24" (60cm) doesn't seem long enough but it certainly has improved the appearance. Here's some images.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VHF aerial with card removed.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	94008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic telescopic rod.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	94009   Click image for larger version