UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2014, 12:35 pm   #1
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default JVC HR7700EK not playing

I have this monster VCR that came from work so I know its had little use. The fault is that it won't play. It will load a tape and fast fwd and rewind. Press play and it threads the tape and spins up the drum but the tape does not move. After a few second the tape unthreads and it goes back to stop. It has played and does produce good pictures but then when it started playing these was a loud mechanical 'clunk' as a solenoid pulls in, this 'clunk' is not present in the fault state. My thinking is that a 'tape present' detector is faulty. The tape load mechanism is not as good as it should be and requires some assistance to get the tape to load. I have replaced the load drive belt as this was stretched.
Any ideas?

Malcolm
Old 6th Jun 2014, 12:44 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Jvc hr7700ek not playing

The "tape present" detector is usually the central incandescent lamp plus the two opto sensors at either side of the cassette. The fact that you get some activity suggests this part of the system control is OK.

Is there any take-up reel movement?

My guess would be on an open-circuit circuit protector or dry joint, but I don't know this model. And are the belts OK as a slack loading motor belt could conceivably cause this symptom too. Have you got the manual?

Nick.

BTW this is the same as the Ferguson 3V23, which will perhaps be more familiar to most in the UK.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 6th Jun 2014 at 1:02 pm.
Old 6th Jun 2014, 1:44 pm   #3
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: JVC HR7700EK not playing

Loading belt u/s.
Old 6th Jun 2014, 2:05 pm   #4
steviewonder
Tetrode

Thumbs up Re: JVC HR7700EK not playing

Seconded and thirded,slack loading belt!
Old 6th Jun 2014, 3:45 pm   #5
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Thanks. If by the loading belt you mean the belt on the small motor to the right of the load mechanism which drives the chain loading via a worm gear then I've changed it. It was slack but not now. The tape detector lamp is on. When it tries to play there is no movement at all from the take up spool. As far as I can see the other belts are OK although I will give the system another check over.

Malcolm
Old 6th Jun 2014, 3:55 pm   #6
8 Tracker
Hexode

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like the machine is not finishing the loading cycle. Are the two guides that wrap the tape round the head drum reaching the end of their travel? Somewhere there will be a switch to tell the micro that these two guides are in position. On older machines, this was often just two spring contacts. Have a look on the underside and see if you can see it. It may need cleaning.

Mark.
Old 7th Jun 2014, 9:21 am   #7
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I think have got it. 8 tracker was right. as was those who suggested slack belts. the loading arms were stopping just short of actuating the loaded microswitch. by rotating the load motor a small amount by hand the switch clicked in and the machine started playing. With it switched off and the cassette out moving the thread motor over its full range by hand there is a pout at the end of its travel where the movement becomes slightly stiffer. It seems that the slack drive belt started slipping at this point so the thread cycle could not be completed. A new belt on this drive and it seems to be fixed. I'll keep threading and unthreading it to prove to myself that it s fixed as it seems too simple.
The next job is to sort out the eject as the cassette jams somewhere, this may be caused by ancient grease being sticky.
Thanks to all who replied you combined wisdom has saved my thinning hair
Malcolm
Old 7th Jun 2014, 10:07 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done! Another nice machine saved for now.
Old 7th Jun 2014, 11:32 pm   #9
John123
Heptode

IIRC cassettes getting stuck (on eject) was a common problem with the Ferguson 3V23. I remember you had to very gently (and slightly) sand down the little rollers that aid the cassette in and out. Worth a shot!
Old 8th Jun 2014, 1:27 pm   #10
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Cleaned the cassette tray and the rollers. The cassette now loads and ejects OK. Cover on and in use.
Thanks again all

Malcolm
Old 9th Jun 2014, 8:20 am   #11
mark pirate
Dekatron

I repaired mine using rubber rollers from a scrap printer, works a treat

Mark
Closed Thread