UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2020, 11:33 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Mobile to Landline

Hi all

Hope this is in the right place (Possibly better in the Modern Technology section?)

I've been pondering on the idea of using my mobile phone as the source for my 746's instead of a landline, as we don't have one and it'd rarely see use due to costs compared to mobile

I've seen a couple of devices that allow you to do so via Bluetooth but one is around £80 with shipping, and another requires # and * which 746's don't have and appears to be American only.

Has anyone done anything similar to this before, or even used one of them before? I'm definitely interested but wouldn't know how to make one myself but don't want to pay that much if there's a cheaper alternative, I'd consider it if there's really nothing else I could do.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
'77
Old 29th Dec 2020, 11:57 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Mobile to Landline

I think any such device will need the 746 converting to DTMF dialling and things that do that also add # and *.

It's something I've pondered too but with my old ISP it was cheaper to have 'phone and broadband than just broadband and since changing I effectively pay for the 'phone line and get broadband free.

My PTSN line is only used for incoming calls; outgoing ones are via a VOIP service and normal calls are about a penny a minute. That also needs pulse to tone converters in the telephones.

This thread may be helpful: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=172549
Old 30th Dec 2020, 12:21 am   #3
NottsIan
Tetrode

Dare I suggest this could be a job for a Raspberry Pi? How are your programming skills?
Old 30th Dec 2020, 12:28 am   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
I think any such device will need the 746 converting to DTMF dialling
That's something I had wondered too, I don't suppose that many were made with pulse dialling in mind. I know the XLink supported both pulse and tone dialling, which is a bonus, but if the liGo is just a rebadged, cheaper XLink, I might go for one of those, they seem promising

We did have a phone line but it was rarely used, both incoming and outgoing it just doesn't really make sense to use it again - I'd probably only ever talk to cold callers

I'd considered a pulse to tone converter too if needed, but so far it doesn't look like one is

Thanks for the link, great help

Thanks
'77
Old 30th Dec 2020, 12:31 am   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottsIan View Post
Dare I suggest this could be a job for a Raspberry Pi? How are your programming skills?
Posts crossed

I'd never considered Raspberry Pi, but I've no programming skills at all and wouldn't know what to do at all. I've never programmed before. Could possibly be an idea to think about, though

Thanks
'77
Old 30th Dec 2020, 12:41 am   #6
hamid_1
Heptode

The Ligo Bluewave is what you want.

https://www.ligo.co.uk/ligo-bluewave-hub

This is a clone of the American XLink, currently being sold for a fraction of the price (around £20). The only catch is its software is old and can't be updated. As you will only be using it with a mobile phone and a vintage dial phone that has no caller display, that shouldn't matter - no software update should be needed.

The good news is the Ligo Bluewave supports rotary dial phones like the 746 straight out of the box. Just plug in the power supply and your vintage wired phone, then pair your mobile phone using Bluetooth. Assuming your 746 has been converted to a modern BT plug, you'll also need a BT to RJ11 adaptor to plug it into the Bluewave. An old ADSL filter can be used as an adaptor, together with the RJ11 cable supplied with the Bluewave.

You can read more about my experience of it here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...5&postcount=18

What Joe says is usually true - you can often get a landline + broadband for less than the cost of broadband on its own. But the catch is that outgoing calls from the landline are a lot more expensive than from a mobile. That's why the companies are so keen to offer you a landline - they make a lot of profit on the usage charges. You can take out a package with inclusive calls but that's also extra money.

If you do get a landline in the future you can add it to the Bluewave box. You will be able to make or receive calls on your vintage phone using either landline or mobile. You can choose whichever is cheaper or free / inclusive.
Old 30th Dec 2020, 2:16 am   #7
19Seventy7
Octode

That was an interesting read, thank you for linking that, definitely helpful. It looks just the ticket really. I'll definitely order one.

We do actually have a landline now I think of it, but it's dead, no life other than an almost silent hum when the phone's off the hook - just isn't cost effective compared to my mobile plan.

I may get a landline in the future, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have, but as for now I'm happy with using the mobile - chances are once it's hooked up I won't be using the mobile itself.

Thanks all for the help, much appreciated

'77
Old 30th Dec 2020, 7:36 am   #8
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I think you should look a little more around before you decide what to buy.
The X-link adapter is expensive, but I bought one many years ago, not very good at that time. They upgrade the software, and it is good today! (Now the box is 14 years old, and works nice with free upgrade of software) I have even bought a second one, better electronics, same software. These accepts rotary and touch tone phones, and gives a strong ring signal. you may choose British or American dial tones and ring signals in the setup. I have not tested other makes, but have read about people that are less satisfied. Still ip-telephony is even better.
Old 30th Dec 2020, 6:05 pm   #9
Jim_746
Pentode

I would also recommend the LiGo Bluewave. Yes, as has been mentioned already, it is no longer supported by LiGo and the firmware cannot be upgraded. But it is a fraction of the price of similar devices.

I've had one for a few months now and have used it with a 300 series 'phone, a 706, and a 746. They all worked well with the LiGo; they dialled out with no issue and the LiGo had no issue with the bells which rang loud and clear on incoming calls.

Currently I have my unit mounted to the wall with a dedicated master socket plugged into it via a RJ11 jack. And currently plugged into it I have a ITT 2500 and a Northern Telecom 500 which both ring loud and clear on incoming calls.

The LiGo converts pulsed dialled numbers to DTMF so rotary 'phones can be used without a LD to DTMF converter. If you have any problems with rotary dial 'phones, there is an option in the settings for pulse tolerance.

Thank you, hamid for mentioning the test feature in your linked post; I wasn't aware of it.
Old 5th Jan 2021, 4:02 pm   #10
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi all, just an update

I've got the unit now with a RJ11 to BT plug converter and all is working perfectly. I'm really pleased with it. I do have one question, how do you get into the settings? (It didn't come with a manual) It's got the American ring and I'd much prefer the UK ring if possible?

Thanks
'77
Old 5th Jan 2021, 6:09 pm   #11
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Herewith LiGo manual.

Ian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf liGo Bluewave Quick Start Guide-2020.pdf (337.0 KB, 117 views)
Old 5th Jan 2021, 11:13 pm   #12
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you for linking that, great help. Didn't have the right cable so have ordered one

I'll let you all know how I get on

Thanks for the help
'77
Old 7th Jan 2021, 5:27 pm   #13
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

HI All, Handy little box that ! does the Bluewave cause the old landline phone to make a noise when a text is received at the mobile ? thanks john
Old 7th Jan 2021, 8:22 pm   #14
Jim_746
Pentode

As far as I am aware the Bluewave will only ring connected phones when there is an incoming call. It does not signal any incoming text messages or any other types of notifications.
Old 7th Jan 2021, 9:01 pm   #15
19Seventy7
Octode

As Jim says, but it will also ring at other types of incoming calls, too, not just a "proper" phone call - Found that out last night

Thanks
'77
Old 10th Jan 2021, 1:12 am   #16
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi all

I've got the cable but I still can't find the software I need to install to change it's settings. No results have come up online and their site wasn't the most helpful either.

Any one know how to get the settings up on PC?

Thanks
'77
Old 10th Jan 2021, 3:47 pm   #17
AC/HL
Dekatron

From Hamid's thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&postcount=20
Old 10th Jan 2021, 7:42 pm   #18
19Seventy7
Octode

Great thank you!

I've just changed it and it sounds so much better.

Thanks all for the help! It's much appreciated
'77
Old 12th Jan 2021, 12:32 pm   #19
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Congratulations! Nice to hear that the bad rumors I have heard are not right.
I works with reasonable ringing, sound quality and you have the right UK ringing etc.

dsk
Old 12th Jan 2021, 10:10 pm   #20
19Seventy7
Octode

Definitely, although I'd only seen good things about them. The bad reviews might be with newer phones, as Hamid_1 says they can't be updated and don't work too well with caller displays?

I'm very pleased with mine, it's faultless

'77
Closed Thread