UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2021, 4:54 pm   #61
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye black box no sound

Blimey, no wonder the OP couldn't fix it! Well done!
Old 26th Mar 2021, 5:10 pm   #62
Station X

These players with their dodgy valve holders are obviously not for the beginner. I wouldn't want to take one on either.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Mar 2021, 5:47 pm   #63
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's not often you find all the valves down like this is it - I wonder what kind of a life it has had? Congratulations to Sideband for hanging in there with this. Maybe we should not bang on about his success too much - lest he becomes the default BB fixer-upper and I would not wish that upon him!
Old 26th Mar 2021, 7:51 pm   #64
Sideband
Dekatron

I don't think the intermittent valve contacts help especially the anode pins.... The original ECC83 does work of course and may even be OK when used with whatever cartridge is fitted to the deck. I was just going for maximum gain on the assumption that whatever cartridge is used, it will probably have a lower output than the original. A new ECC83 did make a noticeable improvement. I used a CD player as well as the Jason tuner and both gave good outputs.

The EL42's were a different matter.....!

As for the default fixer-upper.....hopefully when I do the write-up, everyone will be able to fix them!
Old 26th Mar 2021, 11:01 pm   #65
Sideband
Dekatron

If anyone is interested, I found the original Success Story on the first one of these I repaired 10 years ago....how time flies!https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51097
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 8:34 pm   #66
Sideband
Dekatron

As a further note, Gary PM'd me to say that he still couldn't obtain any output from his cartridge although he could now obtain a good hum from the amplifier socket with the pick-up cable disconnected. He checked further and found a short circuit on the screened lead from the pick-up. Once the short was cleared he then had a working Black Box and quote "It sounds amazing"!

A success I think?
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 11:02 pm   #67
leslie5555
Heptode

Well done, when working correctly these do have an exceptional sound
Closed Thread