UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2012, 9:12 am   #1
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Hamfest : FRARS Flight Refueling

Hi all,

I usually go to this event as it is 5 minutes from where I live.
I've had it in my diary for months but couldn't make it in the end due to other family commitments.

Just wondered who,how many from here attended and what bargins were bought or seen.

Comments please.

Cheers
Old 13th Aug 2012, 10:09 am   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hamfest : FRARS Flight Refueling

I was on the Poole Radio Society stand.
Traders and "boot sales" people were there early, but, I gather, not as many as in some years.

There was, according to FRARS (the host society) roughly the same number of visitors as last year, but both were down on some prior years.

We, and some other club stands, reported lots of people looking, but less buyers.

There were some bargains, but also some prices that were, to say the least, optimistic. Hence lots of things didnt sell.

I met several (5 or 6) BVWS members, and there must have been others I did not meet, so I would guess that there may well have been 30 or 40 BVWS members there.
(Some vintage sets/parts for sale too.)

Bargains? One of our club members bought a nice...something-or-other, for £1. It had 72 BNC sockets on it plus other parts.
Someone else bought some PCB's with over 100 LED's, for 25pence.

The weather was excellent and everyone seemed to enjoy their day.
Old 13th Aug 2012, 7:47 pm   #3
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

I missed Hamfest again, no excuses really as it is only 15 minutes away by car! Hmmm, I really will have to tie a knot in something to remind me to check next year. Most of the radio amateurs I knew who went to this event are now silent key and so no longer have that helpful nudge.

As with all these events it is easy at the time without a shopping list to buy lots of 10p bargains for possible future projects that eventually end up sitting around in a store cupboard. In general though, the contents in boxes under the tables are always worth a closer inspection.

Looks like it was a great day, hopefully get there next year.

Cheers

Rich
Old 13th Aug 2012, 9:15 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Wanted to get there this year, but work got in the way....