UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2005, 4:17 pm   #1
DaveS
Retired Dormant Member

Lightbulb Vintage-look Cable on a Shoestring

The restoration of my Philips 381A was progressing well, but the mains cable; it didn’t look too safe. Simply replacing the cable with a new P.V.C. one just didn’t look the part, so I tried stripping the cotton outer sheath from the old cable with the idea of sliding it over the new P.V.C cable; it didn’t work because the cotton was stuck fast to the rubber inner. After some thought on where I could find a suitable cotton cover, the idea came; a shoe lace! In fact, I used a 140cm brown cotton boot lace, cut off the plastic ends, removed the inner strengthening cords and slid it, millimeter-for-millimeter, over the new P.V.C. cable. You need strong fingers and patience but the result is fantastic; at least I think so.
I suppose the same technique could also be used for repro. cotton covered hook-up wire by using solid core P.V.C. wire or enameled copper wire and shoe laces.
Hope you like the idea.

Regards,
Dave

P.S.
Anyone interested in a pair of walking boots without laces!?
Old 29th Jun 2005, 5:34 pm   #2
jdrysdale
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage-look Cable on a Shoestring

I have a philps 371a which I am working on and what I got was dark gold coloured PVC cable. I haven't put is on yet so the jury is still out. I came across fabric covered cable in an old hardware shop which might be better. What problems have you found with your 381a and I wonder how similer it is to the 371a. I will be replacing the transformer, rectifier valve, most of the capacitors and a small amount of cosmetic work.
Closed Thread