UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2005, 4:41 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Philips 727A pointer cable drive

Hi. Some information here for anyone who has a Philips 727A (1937) valve radio, and where the cable drive for the pointer is broken. Although the actual service manual (Philips own) does not go in to detail on either the pointer, gang drive, or the cable for the w/change cable diagrams, I have found some notes written in a s.manual for this set (by an engineer). Apparently, the length of the cable drive for the pointer is 4 feet 11 and 3/8 inches long (inclusive of loops). I have not attempted re wiring/stringing yet, (looks difficult to access), but I will try draw a diagram as I progress with it. I may use some suitable drive cord instead of cable.
Its funny that the gang drive cord is intact on these sets, but the wire pointer drive cord perishes, and yet on the much later Philips 209U, the gang drive cord is the one that requires re-stringing!
Regards
Mike
Closed Thread