UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2002, 10:19 am   #1

Default Cleaning Plastic

I find "Mr Muscle" kitchen cleaner ideal for cleaning greasy dirt from plastic and bakelite parts, epecially those fluted edge control knobs. Use an old toothbrush to work it in, then rinse with water and dry off. Don't leave plastic or bakelite wet for too long, and if in doubt try it on an inconspicuous piece first. Tuning scales are best avoided too.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 12:14 am. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin

Old 27th Dec 2002, 3:58 pm   #2

Default Re: Cleaning Plastic

I WOULDNT USE THIS ON BAKELITE AS IT DULLS THE SHINE. TRADITIONAL POLISH WITH BEES WAX IS BETTER.. YES ON THE TOOTH BRUSH THOUGH, NAIL BRUSHES ARE ALSO GOOD FOR BIGGER PARTS. I OFTEN PUT WIRE ROUND THE PARTS WITH GOLD INLAYS TO PROTECT THEM FROM BEING SCRUBBED AWAY.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 12:15 am.

Old 28th Dec 2002, 8:56 pm   #3

Brasso and a soft, clean cloth - can't beat it !

Old 29th Dec 2002, 11:22 am   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Brasso is fine on bakelite, but be cautious on plastic. I found that it slightly softened the plastic of my Bush TR91. The usual advise - try on an inconspicuous area first (such as inside).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Dec 2002, 9:57 am   #5
Dave
Retired Dormant Member

For plastic you cannot beat Greygate's Plastic polish especially TR 82's!, and I've tried them all. Use Brasso if you must on a very dirty initial clean but the final finish of Greygate can't be beat!.
Happy new year all
Dave
( no connection with above mentioned company )
Old 4th Apr 2003, 2:07 pm   #6
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

If you want the Greygate range of polishs, so long as your prepared to buy a case at a time, contact

Greygate Chemical products
Fir tree Lane
Groby
Leics

The phone number escapes me at the moment, for Bakelite, Paste Polishing No 5 (the original GPO stuff, meant for jack plugs), sold elsewhere as BakoBrite.

They also do a number of plastic and perspex polishs, including one originally dveloped for removing the scracths from Spitfire canopies, which gives excellent results on old radios.

Jim

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 12:15 am.
Old 30th Apr 2003, 1:49 pm   #7
radioman
Heptode

Paste Polishing No.5 is available from CPC (Order code SAMETALCLEAN) at £1.12+vat a tube. They also sell Greygate's Plastic Polish (Order code SAPLASTICCLEAN) at £2.79+vat for 100ml.

Hope this information helps.
G-QRP #12697

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 12:16 am.
Old 29th Jun 2005, 3:57 pm   #8
jdrysdale
Retired Dormant Member

I used Mr Muscle to clean the metal chassis of a philips the other day. It was coated in a varnish like substance which I put down to nicotine stains. It did an excellant job, carefully applied using a little brush and wiped away. Only thing was I wiped the badge by accident and gone is all the black screen print.
Closed Thread