UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2005, 7:19 pm   #1
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

Default The NVCF: Time To Move

NVCF : Time to re-locate
One of the issue’s mentioned at the recent BVWS AGM was the cost of parking at the NEC, apparently it is now £7 for the day (last year was £6), so I think it’s about time the BVWS should be looking at a new locations, indeed the committee wanted suggestions for reasonable alternative locations. Here are a few suggestions for the BVWS committee:

Doncaster Racecourse Exhibition Centre
Free parking over the road from the centre. The centre itself is quite large and has two floor levels that could be used. Has a small café serving snacks. Of course the event would have to be held when there is no race meeting on. Quite easy to get to from the M18 and is well sign posted.

Castle Donnington Exhibition Centre
Off Junc 24 M1 and is next to Donnington Park race circuit, free parking (Usually in the field next to the centre).

The NVCF format is one day (Sunday) twice a year, but if the BVWS moves location they may have to change the format to two days (Sat-Sun), maybe once a year ? That depends on the location used if they would allow one day uses: most events are usually two days, but I would suppose that could incur additional costs of staying overnight for stall holders.

If the BVWS stayed at the NEC, I would imagine hall rental costs are increasing as well, and then the admission price would have to increase as well.

Any more car parking increases would ‘kill’ this event for me, and I am doubtful if I am going to the May NVCF. Should the BVWS decide to move, I would fully support this.

Thank you
Old 15th Mar 2005, 8:42 pm   #2
Trev757
Banned

Default Re: The NVCF: Time To Move

I think you have to look at the overall cost to you of the day. You see coming from Bristol, the NEC is ideal for me. Anywhere further north and I am going to pay extra in fuel, so nothing much gained except a much longer day and more travelling.

Being purely selfish, I would be happy with the NEC. It costs me more than £7 to park for the day in Bristol!

Trev
Old 15th Mar 2005, 9:11 pm   #3
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

I agree with Trev and the NEC is also ideal for me. Coming from N. Ireland, the proximity to Birmingham Airport is ideal. I have managed to combine it with a weekend break using a budget airline the past two years and it is the only vintage radio event which I can reasonably get to. In comparison to my costs, a £1 increase in parking is insignificant.
Old 15th Mar 2005, 9:38 pm   #4
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

Well from the meeting I gathered that the car parking charge was a real issue for the NVCF and the BVWS was looking for another location which was again central England
Old 15th Mar 2005, 9:55 pm   #5
ajs37
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo_Tube
looking for another location which was again central England
As long as it is still in the Birmingham area, that's ok with me! I am also from Bristol - Birmingham is ideal - just about the limit of my driving endurance there and back in a day!

Actually, perhaps with a bit of planning, we should share cars?

just my tuppence worth!

Andy
Old 15th Mar 2005, 10:19 pm   #6
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

The NEC is a central location with easy transport access. The parking fee is rather a rip-off.

I'm from Bristol too. Car sharing appeals to me, but if there are any more of us, maybe we should forget cars and hire a coach?

Pete.
Old 15th Mar 2005, 10:20 pm   #7
af024
Octode

I would support a move away from the NEC so long as it doesn't move too far away. There's nothing much round here and Harpenden, Wootton Bassett etc are all too far away for me. It's a great shame that those other events can't come a bit closer, but then you can't have everything can you. Anyhow, back onto the subject matter ... I happen to find the car parking and entrance fees exorbitant at the NEC and the parking locations are normally quite hopeless anyway. When you've probably got to man-handle something like a TV to the car it's really not very funny.

It can be no coincidence that the Car Show wants to wave goodbye to the NEC. I for one think it's high time that the management of the place need a wake-up call.

I would certainly second the Donington Race Track Exhibition Centre. I have been to several events there and all seems to be well (if a main racing event isn't on at the same time - then traffic becomes a bit of a pain to say the least). How about the National Motorcycle Museum (now that's it's been re-built following the fire)? It used to be home to all sorts of exhibitions, computer fairs, 78s records fairs etc AND that's on the doorstep of the NEC. Now that would become a saw point for the NEC management don't you think!

Basically, as much as I enjoy 'getting out' twice a year, I really do begrudge £6 (or £7) parking plus and entrance fee of similar proportions. It's not as if the cost of stands (or refreshments etc) are cheap either!

Anyhow, by the time the public are let in, most of the good stuff has gone anyway.

Well that's my two pennies worth .... I'm now going to practice being Victor Meldrew somewhere else.

Regards one and all,

Andy
Old 15th Mar 2005, 10:20 pm   #8
Ken
Hexode

Hi All

I live about twelve miles south of Glasgow and have only managed to attend one radio event since I started this hobby. I think you should all move north. Glasgow or Edinburgh would suit me. You could make a pleasant little holiday out of your visit.

Yours only slightly tongue in cheek,

Ken.
Old 15th Mar 2005, 10:45 pm   #9
Trev757
Banned

If any of the Bristol team wish to PM me to talk tactics for future trips, or to discuss meeting up in general, then feel free.

Sorry this is going off at a tangent for this thread. Any further posts will be on topic.

Trev
Old 15th Mar 2005, 11:18 pm   #10
igranic
Rest in Peace

I have two suggestions:

The Newark and Notts Showground, just off the A1 which has a variety of large permanent buildings, free parking, and is big enough to host Britain's largest regular antiques fair.
http://www.newarkshowground.com/

Stoneleigh Park Exhibition and Conference Centre between Coventry and Warwick, home of The Royal Show, and not far from the M6, M1, M45, M42, and M5.
http://www.stoneleigh-park.com/facil...plex/index.asp
Old 16th Mar 2005, 12:49 am   #11
Duke_Nukem
Octode

With me living in Brum, I guess I could be accused of being somewhat biased. But the thing is, any significant change in venue is bound to be to one persons advantage and to anothers disadvantage. So my own opinion is a venue close as possible to the original needs to be found, ideally readily accessible from Birmingham International so that anyone who could get to the current NVCF would find any alternative just as convenient.'Igranic's suggestion of Stoneleigh would therefore seem a good idea if practical.

It is true that the number of events seems inversly proportional to the distance from London, but a move too far north would definately be worse for more people than it benefited.

I think it has to move ... seven quid just to park is taking the P ; this plus increasing hall fees have already seen a number of (non-vintage-radio) events leave the NVCF and I note that the Motor Show is leaving to.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 16th Mar 2005, 1:34 am   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I am another one from Bristol. I do enjoy the NCVF but agree that the parking is a bit steep. However compared with normal parking fees down here in Bristol and Bath, £7 is not to bad. But to be perfectly fair we have good access to both the NEC and Wootten Bassett. Unlike some people who live in the Northwest who do not have any events close to hand. Would it be possible to say have one NCVF at the NEC and another perhaps in the Manchester/Liverpool areas.
If this is not possible perhaps the BVWS could look at holding a smaller event like a swapmeet in the Northwest.
Old 16th Mar 2005, 7:09 am   #13
terry123
Pentode

Thank you all for your observations some of the alternative venues mentioned have or are being looked at.

The two main issues that we have with the NEC is 1- parking fee, 2 - above inflation hire costs. (both issues are the cause of the car show move to the Excel centre in docklands london) The NEC manangment claim that the parking fee rise is justified as they are upgrading the parking areas with new CCTV and so on. I have continued to argue with them that these upgrades should be met by existing fees and they have probably already taken millions by now in such fees.

We will keep everyone informed as things develop and we are hoping that the autumn show will be at a new home provided that any new venue suits the needs of the show, exhibitors and visitors.

Terry Martini
NVCF
Old 16th Mar 2005, 8:58 am   #14
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

OK, folks, here is my two penn'orth on it. I have never been to a BVWS event, but at least Brum is central (in the context of England, not the entire island!)
Most events (Harpenden, Wootton Bassett) appear to be anything but central, so it is unlikely that I shall ever visit them unless I happen to be passing, as I cannot usually spare the time or expense of an overnight stay.
I agree totally with Jon inasmuch as wherever an event is held, it is going to be better for some, worse for others.
I have a suggestion:
Why do we need to use the same venue each year? I am a member of another club that has nothing to do with radio, and we hold an annual event in August that usually has about 2000 people attending. We move the venue around the UK, and have no problems in organisation or attracting members, both from UK and abroad.
Old 16th Mar 2005, 9:30 am   #15
Duke_Nukem
Octode

When considering other venues I'd be interested to know from which parts of the country current NVCF stall holders come from, since without them attending there'd be no event !

On the face of it, moving the event around each time seems a good idea. However searching for possible venues, then checking each candidate's suitability and then organising it is a lot of work. At least with a venue in the same place each time you get to know any peculiarities of a venue which must save time in organising.

So IMO whilst I don't feel lots of different venues is workable, sticking to two seperate venues does have some merits.

TTFN,
Jon.
Old 16th Mar 2005, 11:13 am   #16
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

Terry,
I hope you are not suggesting that this year's autumn show will now not be held at the NVCF when it is already pencilled in as 9th Oct at the NVCF, on the BVWS website. I am already trying to make air travel arrangements for a weekend in the Birmingham area.
Old 16th Mar 2005, 12:47 pm   #17
humorist2751
Pentode

Hi all.

Previous correspondents have seemed to be car users, when their mode of transport has been mentioned at all (perhaps not surprising, given that the issue is, at least in part, a rise in parking fees).

Any new venue, or one alternating with the NEC or another site, needs to have good public transport links, as well as being convenient for motorways etc.

An obvious point, perhaps; but I thought I'd make it anyway.
Old 16th Mar 2005, 1:24 pm   #18
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by humorist2751
... needs to have good public transport links, as well as being convenient for motorways etc.
To put your mind at rest, this important point has been noted during comittee meetings.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 16th Mar 2005, 5:57 pm   #19
mjizycky
Retired Dormant Member

The odd thing is... on the rare occasion I've been to the NVCF, I've turned up late afternoon, and by the time I've left (when the stall holders are packing away) the car park barriers are locked open and the pay booths unmanned...
Old 16th Mar 2005, 8:32 pm   #20
Ken
Hexode

Hi All

I am a member of the British Vintage Wireless Society and yet the only contact I have had with other members, in the last five years, is through this forum or more recently via the odd e-mail. This is because all of the events organised through the BVWS take place in the south of England (when you live near Glasgow Birmingham is far to the south). I don't think it unreasonable to expect at least some of the events be made more accessible to those of us who live in the north of Britain. As has already been said other organisations seem to manage this without problems.

Regards,

Ken.
Closed Thread