UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:29 pm   #1
Lostinga
Retired Dormant Member

Default Collaro RC 456 issues

I’m working on a Magnavox branded Collaro changer. I am having problems with the tone arm returning to above the rest. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes the tone arm is not out of the way and a record will drop on top of it. I can’t figure out how to adjust the return position.
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:44 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Collaro rc 456 issues

You are probably aware that this is a very complicated record changer.

There are few adjustments and I suggest you leave them alone.

The problem is almost certainly due to dried out grease.

You have to ensure 'the gate' section is completely free of grease and oil and operates totally freely.

Ensure the cam gear and other gears are able to move as they should.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 9th Oct 2018, 4:36 am   #3
Lostinga
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Collaro RC 456 issues

Michael, you were correct. I took the changer completely apart and cleaned every part. I cleaned off all dried grease and then lightly relubed with white lithium grease. It functions perfectly now. Put a new needle on it and it sounds great too.
Closed Thread