UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2018, 8:26 pm   #1
GWR1971
Triode

Default Need some help with a 1964 Bell & Howell 8mm projector

The cine projector my parents bought just after their wedding in 1964 has developed a fault for the first time ever. Having opened it up I can see what the problem is but I'm at a loss how to fix it.

Does anyone have any expertise with vintage projectors, or know of useful forums?
Old 8th Jul 2018, 2:25 am   #2
mickash
Hexode

Default Re: Need some help with a 1964 Bell & Howell 8mm projector

What is the problem?
Old 27th Jul 2018, 10:43 pm   #3
P.Pilcher
Pentode

Although it would be nice to get the unit going again, may I suggest you consider one of the organisations which will convert 8mm. film stock to a DVD
Having done this I can now see my old films on my telly and do not need the problems of setting up projector, screen and generating a darkened room. If I were to run my old 8mm. projector I bet the (original) bulb would fail for which I doubt replacements are now available.

P.P.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 2:20 am   #4
mickash
Hexode

GWR hasn't logged back in since 8th July.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 11:59 am   #5
Gulliver
Hexode

Most projector bulbs are still available, in addition there are many "vintage" unused bulbs on eBay.

So what's wrong with the projector?

Nothing wrong with having cine films put onto DVD or other modern format but the digital scans offered by high street or mail order companies are rarely anywhere near as good as the original film.

Last edited by Station X; 10th Aug 2018 at 12:56 pm. Reason: Disguised eBay reference.
Closed Thread