UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2013, 7:42 pm   #21
Hampus
Pentode

Default Re: Remove those batteries when out of use!

I can recommend lithium cells (the ~1,5 volt variety). They are marketed for use in high drain applications but their long shelf life and near-immunity against leakage makes them ideal in low drain or seldom used equipment. Only available in AA and AAA size though.

They have a slighter higher voltage and a flatter discharge curve than alkaline cells which often is a benefit. They are a bit hard on incandescent torches though.

Expensive, yes, but they last for years.
Old 30th Oct 2013, 10:55 pm   #22
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Strange! I have had very few batteries leak over the last few years, and the ones that did, extruded a kind of fluffy white paste which was easy to clean off with a paint brush.
Unlike the old days with carbon/zinc that corroded anything it came into contact with.

One thing that I have found is that the switch in most of the LED torches tends to fail in very short order, while the incandescent types seem to soldier on for ever. Wonder if it's due to the lower current required for the LED?
Old 31st Oct 2013, 4:35 pm   #23
crusher19860138
Hexode

Remove ANY batteries when not in use, that's the best advice to prevent the possibility of leakage from any battery type.
Old 31st Oct 2013, 4:39 pm   #24
crusher19860138
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
We use Procell at work, always from reputable suppliers. Sad to report that these are not immune to leaking either.
We have Procells at work,but they don't seem to last as long as Duracells.
Old 1st Nov 2013, 12:47 am   #25
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post

Also a few years back I had Philips batteries that leaked while still in their packaging. Stored at about 15 °C in a dry environment.
I showed them at the shop, but they were not willing to replace them.
They don't have to, but they DO have to refund your money as under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 they are responsible for the goods they sell.
Old 1st Nov 2013, 9:14 am   #26
Jac
Heptode

I didn't have the receipt any more. My fault. Who keeps all receipts of batteries and other small items for years? Well, I do sometimes, but unfortunately not so in this particular case.

The decline of Philips was already far in progress and the dealers with it.

Jac
Old 1st Nov 2013, 10:58 am   #27
paulsherwin

There's no Sale of Goods Act in the Netherlands, though there may be equivalent legislation.
Old 1st Nov 2013, 11:48 am   #28
threeseven
Octode

Probably some EU legislation.
Old 1st Nov 2013, 1:47 pm   #29
Tim
Dekatron

I have found some of the supermarket brands to be the most un-leak prone, and Energisers to be some of the worst. Unfortunately though one can't rely on anything these days, and I do tend to remove them from anything that wont get used for a while, except meters and the like; then I use top quality alkalines for reliability.
Most batteries that are included with purchases do not pass go, and end up directly in the recycling pile, particularly if zinc carbon and the "no brand" Chinese ones. I have found they are more trouble than they are worth, and most are so cheap and nasty they look as though they are a leak waiting to happen. It might seem a waste, but I am of the opinion it works out cheaper in the long run and is actually greener if your stuff doesn't get ruined(and has to be disposed of causing you to buy a new whateveritis.....).Sometimes though one gets some branded "industrial" alkalines which are usually kept.
Old 1st Nov 2013, 1:57 pm   #30
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Agreed, Tim. GP Industrial (etc.) ones stay, the squishy no-name ones with terminals that look like they're made of lead go in the battery recyling bin.

N
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 6:14 am   #31
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
I didn't have the receipt any more. My fault. Who keeps all receipts of batteries and other small items for years? Well, I do sometimes, but unfortunately not so in this particular case.

The decline of Philips was already far in progress and the dealers with it.
Ironically, to get a "real Philips" alkaline battery of long forgotten quality, you have to buy Panasonic for the more expensive ones or Topcraft (at the Aldi supermarket) for the cheaper ones. Those are alle "made in Belgium" in the former Philips factory. Philips branded batteries, on the other hand, are bought in from China and don't have much to do with Philips anymore.

Supporting evidence for the above is found in the 12NC codes printed on various blisters. Panasonic still seems to use codes reserved for Philips Lighting, while Philips uses Consumer Lifestyle commercial codes only.

Last edited by Maarten; 3rd Nov 2013 at 6:22 am.
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 10:25 am   #32
Mooly
Octode

The timing of this thread is timely... yesterday I went to use my Sony Minidisc RC and found the batteries had leaked. These were Energizer cells, still within their date (admittedly just, but non the less...) and regularly removed and inspected for leakage. Certainly every 6 months or so. The pictures speak for themselves. The remote has been stripped, cleaned and washed and is OK but I am less than pleased because this RC was pristine before.

The other picture shows my old Philips RC (the 15" FST "trendset" still sees daily use) and these cells are dated 1986 and still 100% leakfree and still work the RC perfectly. These were the Philips supplied cells with the TV.

I'm finding GP and Panasonic batteries among the most "trustworthy".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0356 (640x480).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	85664   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0358 (640x480).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	85665   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0360 (640x480).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	85666   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0362 (640x480).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	85667  
Old 4th Nov 2013, 11:03 am   #33
brenellic2000
Octode

Just though I'd better check my Hacker Sovereign 3 just to be on the safe side! Ah ha!So that's why it weighs so much

4 Duracell NATO stock code - still working well after some years plus
4 standard Duracells - one leaking already! Yikes.

Now, where can I get some more NATO stock Duracells (grey/red) - are these the 'Pro' batteries referred to above?
Old 4th Nov 2013, 11:14 am   #34
KeithsTV
Nonode

Last weekend I replaced the Duracell batteries in one of our phones which uses them as a battery backup and keeps the clock going. I suspect they were the ones originally fitted when we got the phone over 12 years ago. The "use by" date was MAR 2005 and the voltage was down to about 0.75v but no leakage. I hope the replacement Duracells will last as long.

Keith
Old 4th Nov 2013, 11:46 am   #35
paulsherwin

Quote:
4 Duracell NATO stock code
The UK military spec Duracells do have an amazing shelf life. I bought some D cells from a military surplus shop in 2000, with a use by date of 1998. I didn't expect much at the time but they were only 10p each. I recycled the last of them earlier this year after many years of use in radios, torches, ghettoblasters etc. - the last 4 were happily powering a DAB radio this summer.

No sign of leakage either. I wish I'd bought some more now.
Old 4th Nov 2013, 6:15 pm   #36
Telleadict
Hexode

Hello

Thanks for the thread -- it's had me looking in all the remotes etc round the house!

I've found Morrisons supermarket own brand to be quite good although I did have a "near miss" with some of their yellow budget Zinc cells a while ago so it probably depends more on batch than anything.

Regarding the comments on storage temperature on the first page. A pack of Morrisons alkalines bought the other day states "store between 10 and 30 oC" so fridge type temperatures might do more harm than good.

I'll stop wafling now, bye.

Will
Old 7th Nov 2013, 6:33 pm   #37
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

After all this, I was well surprised to open up a battery-powered slide-viewer that I don't think I've looked at for over nine years. These remarkable "Ever Ready" batteries are as dead as a Dodo, but absolutely no sign of any leakage. There is no indication of any expiry date either, except for "standard life." The "Made in Britain" note made me feel a little proud, too.
Colin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000122.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	85819  

Last edited by ColinTheAmpMan1; 7th Nov 2013 at 6:35 pm. Reason: British Pride.
Old 7th Nov 2013, 6:42 pm   #38
Mooly
Octode

Those Blue Seals could be even older than that. I seem to remember that style even in the mid 1990's

I'm trying a new battery "regime" for our clocks and little used remotes etc. Panasonic Zinc Carbons (although the actual battery markings says Zinc Choride) with a view to fitting new set at start of the year and replacing them yearly. Mind you the cost factor could be significant , box of 10 for £0.99 with a November 2016 expiry date.
Old 7th Nov 2013, 6:51 pm   #39
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Those Blue Seals... I'd say mid-late 1980s at a guess.
Old 7th Nov 2013, 11:37 pm   #40
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

I think the batteries were probably placed in the slide-viewer pre-1994. That was the year that my camera was stolen. I didn't take any more slides after that. My Fluke measures the voltages at 1.18V and 0.95V, but not surprisingly neither will give even a microamp of current. Weren't we good at making batteries once?
Colin.
Closed Thread