UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2023, 8:53 pm   #1
Enzo.stelvio
Diode

Default National Panasonic - SG 2070L

Good morning, I'm Enzo and I live in Zurich, last week I bought a stereo system like:

National Panasonic - SG 2070L

at the flea market and I bought the turntable belt to see if it works! The radio works perfectly! The cassette player instead makes a terrible noise and I didn't understand if the problem and the speakers I soldered some plugs which however had three types of wires I connected them practically with three wires I soldered them together and there are two practically when I insert the plugs behind and try to insert a cassette I don't hear the music at all but it just makes an annoying noise!
Can you give me a tip please?

What type of plugs do I have to "Solder" the speakers with to hear the music from the cassette!?
I start from this and then and try to solve this first problem?

But if I wanted to change the whole cassette player, if I understood correctly, are you in England and can these spare parts be found at your place?
Where can I order it?

Thanks in advance for having created this Forum that unites many people to develop knowledge of all types covered in this Good morning, I'm Enzo and I live in Zurich, last week I bought a stereo system like: National Panasonic - SG 2070L at the flea market and I bought the turntable belt to see if it works! The radio works perfectly! The cassette player instead makes a terrible noise and I didn't understand if the problem and the speakers I soldered some plugs which however had three types of wires I connected them practically with three wires I soldered them together and there are two practically when I insert the plugs behind and try to insert a cassette I don't hear the music at all but it just makes an annoying noise!
Can you give me a tip please?

What type of plugs do I have to "Solder" the speakers with to hear the music from the cassette!?
I start from this and then and try to solve this first problem?

But if I wanted to change the whole cassette player, if I understood correctly, are you in England and can these spare parts be found at your place?
Where can I order it?

Thank you in advance for creating this forum that brings together many people to develop knowledge of all types covered in this forum!

If I do something wrong, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for any response and for the support that you can give me if you want to help me revive this wonderful
national panasonic - sg 2070l stereo I apologize if the name is pronounced sabgliato, but making it work again would mean hearing the music with Cassettes and with 33rpm and 45rpm records would be fantastic!

Happy weekend from Zurich!

Enzo.stelvio
Old 20th Mar 2023, 8:18 pm   #2
lightning
Heptode

Default Re: National Panasonic - SG 2070L

lf the cassette deck makes a screech or whistle through the speakers then try inserting a tape and pressing the "record" button a couple of dozen times.

The record/playback slide switch inside can become faulty after a long period of non-use (it may never have been used)

Moving the switch a couple of dozen times can make it operational again, and stop the noise through the speakers.
Old 21st Mar 2023, 8:50 am   #3
Enzo.stelvio
Diode

Hello Fulmine first of all thanks for answering me!

So I tried to record but nothing changed it's not a small change after trying to record.

The noise you hear in the speakers is an annoying noise like something is spinning fast but if you turn up the volume you hear it louder and more annoying.

I would have thought of changing the heads who knows if the problem is solved like this?

When I get home I'll let you know how the test went.

Hi Enzo
Old 21st Mar 2023, 10:09 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Does the tape actually move?

Nothing to do with heads.
What can happen is that the belt goes slack and slips and the motor runs almost without load, leading to increased noise. There may also be oxidization in inside it, in the short term adding a suppressor capacitor across its contacts might help. But that might be hard for someone with no electronics knowledge.

Be very careful about the speaker connections, you can easily blow irreplaceable components by short circuiting connections here. Post some photos if you are unsure.
Old 21st Mar 2023, 3:46 pm   #5
Enzo.stelvio
Diode

Hi Ben thanks for the help,

I actually encountered the problem that the engine turns and doesn't turn and this is due to the spring which is very slow.

I still believe that the problem with the heads I think I should replace them first because the wires were off when I brought the stereo home and then it could also be that I soldered the wires wrong!

Can anyone send a picture of how the head wires should be attached!

Then I'll try to solder them even if someone can tell me how to attach the wires,

Enzo
Old 15th Apr 2023, 8:58 pm   #6
lightning
Heptode

My post was skipped over. Have you tried what l suggested? l've been repairing this kind of unit for nearly forty years.
What l suggested might just work!
Old 15th Apr 2023, 9:12 pm   #7
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
My post was skipped over. Have you tried what l suggested? l've been repairing this kind of unit for nearly forty years.
I don't think he did skip over your post although he may have misunderstood what you were suggesting he tries.

Fulmine is Italian for Lightning so he definitely acknowledged your post.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 15th Apr 2023, 10:25 pm   #8
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I don't think he did skip over your post although he may have misunderstood what you were suggesting he tries.

Fulmine is Italian for Lightning so he definitely acknowledged your post.
Which is where we get 'fulminate' from in English
Old 16th Apr 2023, 12:34 pm   #9
hayerjoe
Hexode

hello Enzo

what you did with the speaker connections is a bit confusing and could well be causing the problem. to eliminate that as a suspect simply use some headphones via the headphone socket. if the noises you talk about are still there then it's likely the cassette player, if the noises are not there it's what you've done with the speaker connections that's causing the noise

Also I agree with Lightning, those 'record' slide switches are a real problem after a decade or 2 of non-use, if pressing 'record' a few times doesn't help you'll have to get to the slide switch inside the tape player mechanism and clean it with switch cleaner.

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Closed Thread