UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2023, 9:11 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Driving a Rexophone crystal set!

Good evening,
I acquired a nice looking twin detector Rexophone crystal set from the BVWS Biggleswade event last Sunday. I am looking for some tips to drive it.

I was using a piezo element crystal type earpiece though I cannot get much sound at all from it yet other than a rather feint 50Hz hum. I have been trying for a few hours both in the day and at night to see if conditions improve. I was thinking do I need a high impedance type headphones of say 4000 ohms in order for enough current to flow through the cats whisker detector in order for it to function.

I have a long wire aerial from the bedroom window to a tree at the bottom of the garden which I would say is 30' long. The instruction shows 100' long. It looks like I would need to find a way to make it longer to harness enough RF power to power the crystal set earphone. Or I could just blame my hearing !!

Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 16th Mar 2023, 9:28 pm   #2
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Default Re: Driving a Rexophone crystal set!

It will probably be better with 4000 ohms headphones. I'm sure you know it needs an earth connection as well. One thing you could try is using it with an amplifier to start with and then connecting headphones when you have tuned in a strong signal.
Old 16th Mar 2023, 11:05 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Perhaps try with a 4k7 or so resistor across the piezo earpiece?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Mar 2023, 11:45 pm   #4
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

Are you using the original galena crystal and point contact ('cats whisker') detector ? You might find it easiest to temporarily use a more modern germanium diode until you have sorted out other aspects.

Sensitive high impedance headphones or a crystal earpiece are needed, or as suggested couple up an audio amplifier to get you going.

The longer and especially the higher the aerial the better. The 100 foot limit was once imposed by the Postmaster General, I guess that was to prevent anything too outlandish. The far end of the aerial is a high impedance point, and needs a good insulator between it and any mechanical support (wooden pole, tree etc) or signal will be lost in the shunt resistance. A 6 inch piece of plastic strip should do the job.

A good radio earth (rod driven into the soil etc) is important

These sets were only ever intended for fairly local reception, albeit with transmitters that were feebler than todays. With the decline of medium wave you might struggle if there is no transmitter near you, but with luck there should be one dominant signal. Unless you want reception from hundreds of miles away you will be getting a ground wave, so day and night won't make much difference.

Good Luck !
Old 17th Mar 2023, 2:24 am   #5
Station X

Crystal sets will not work without an earth connection as they rely on the capacitance between aerial and earth for tuning.

I've found that connecting the earth terminal to the copper pipe feeding a radiator in an upstairs room worked well.

I've also found that crystal earpieces, high impedance headphones and even low impedance headphones work well.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 9:14 am   #6
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

I must confess that I'd forgotten that the detector diode needs a DC load to function. Unlike a traditional electromegnetic headphone, the piezo type earpiece "looks" like a capacitor, so a resistor is needed in parallel. Value is open to experiment, but I agree that 4.7 K is a good starting point.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 9:33 am   #7
Pete_kaye
Octode

I have found that a 47k or 56k works best.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 10:08 am   #8
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

My favourite book as a (very) young experimenter in 1960 was "The Boy's Book of Crystal Sets"

It covers the background as well as presenting several designs for home construction.

You can read an online version here: https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Ber...l-Sets-v12.pdf
Old 17th Mar 2023, 12:19 pm   #9
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

The fairly common DLR5 military headset seemed to be one of the best for crystal sets.

My old friend Howard Turner of Centre Electronics Birmingham (now SK), did a
test on 23 different pairs of headphones, - mainly high impedance, - and the
DLR5s were better than all the others.

Another well thought of headset was the RCA "Big Cans", but we never tested those.

Kind regards
Dave
G0ELJ
Old 17th Mar 2023, 2:34 pm   #10
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

I'm pretty sure it was DLR 5 phones I used back in 1960, no doubt purchased from my Dad's favourite army surplus store.

Although medium impedance (about 600 ohms) they were very sensitive. Inside, the diaphragm was corrugated and at the centre was an exceedingly small nut and thin rod coupled to the magnetised part within the coil. Most rival phones seemed to use a plain disc akin to that found in a telephone handset.
Closed Thread