UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2023, 1:23 pm   #1
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Default Rank arena 2000GT with a Lenco B55

Sound is coming from only one channel (cleanly, other is crackly) when using the built in amplifier and when attempting to bypass it to a separate amp, I then end up with buzzing.

I have tried contact cleaner on the dials and the cartridge to no avail.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by ChrisChilton; 15th Mar 2023 at 1:24 pm. Reason: Missed a sentence
Old 19th Mar 2023, 10:26 am   #2
samjmann
Heptode

Default Re: Rank arena 2000GT with a Lenco B55

Hi. I serviced a few of these years back, the version I saw mostly the RTA-2000. They all suffered with drying out of the small electrolytic caps in the tone network. The caps in question all have a tiny 'sun' logo on them. This was 1980 when they were failing, so what values they've gone to now I can only guess. Replacing these will have a dramatic effect on the sound quality.

These are excellent units, and with the original speakers still sound good, with plenty of range on the tone controls. Nice punchy bass response. These are well worth any time any spent on them. Plus you've got minimalist Scandinavian styling as well!
Old 12th Apr 2023, 12:21 am   #3
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjmann View Post
Hi. I serviced a few of these years back, the version I saw mostly the RTA-2000. They all suffered with drying out of the small electrolytic caps in the tone network. The caps in question all have a tiny 'sun' logo on them. This was 1980 when they were failing, so what values they've gone to now I can only guess. Replacing these will have a dramatic effect on the sound quality.

These are excellent units, and with the original speakers still sound good, with plenty of range on the tone controls. Nice punchy bass response. These are well worth any time any spent on them. Plus you've got minimalist Scandinavian styling as well!
Hi there, I really love how it looks and imagine that it could sound great, I just don’t know where to start and feel like giving in.
Old 12th Apr 2023, 8:06 am   #4
peter_sol
Octode

Does this only crackle on the gram (phono)?
Old 12th Apr 2023, 12:18 pm   #5
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

The right channel is weak no matter which output you use, phono or radio, built in amp or external amp.

The humming has been partially rectified by moving the powerlead as far away as possible from the din-to-rca that’s going to the external amp.
Old 12th Apr 2023, 1:15 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It could be just that the input selector contacts need cleaning. If not, then the DC power rail to that channel may be down. .
Old 12th Apr 2023, 3:18 pm   #7
yampy187
Hexode

Not long ago I overhauled an RTA2000.

Every single small electrolytic capacitor will need to be replaced. They were all either open circuit or wildly off value.

It sounded excellent once it was working correctly. Well worth fixing!

Jan
Old 12th Apr 2023, 5:03 pm   #8
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by yampy187 View Post
Not long ago I overhauled an RTA2000.

Every single small electrolytic capacitor will need to be replaced. They were all either open circuit or wildly off value.

It sounded excellent once it was working correctly. Well worth fixing!

Jan
Great name, Yampy!

Thanks for the advice, any idea on how much that would cost as I fear it’s beyond my expertise.
Old 12th Apr 2023, 5:19 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

An unknown repairer can be very expensive or even a ripoff. Post on h5re for genuine support under "Services Needed" .
Old 12th Apr 2023, 6:12 pm   #10
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
An unknown repairer can be very expensive or even a ripoff. Post on h5re for genuine support under "Services Needed" .
Thank you, I appreciate your concern, I was hoping for a ballpark figure.
Old 12th Apr 2023, 8:04 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's almost impossible to give you a Ballpark figure. It's a bit like you taking your car to a garage and asking them to give you a price for fixing it. If you push me, I would say between 50 and 75 pounds from a Member here. If it's an unknown 3rd party - expect more......
Old 12th Apr 2023, 11:04 pm   #12
ChrisChilton
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
It's almost impossible to give you a Ballpark figure. It's a bit like you taking your car to a garage and asking them to give you a price for fixing it. If you push me, I would say between 50 and 75 pounds from a Member here. If it's an unknown 3rd party - expect more......
I’ve got a request up for help wanted.

I found a 7” copy of Anarchy in the UK for 50p today, that’s going to get sold towards the repair costs.
Closed Thread