UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2023, 8:40 pm   #1
robreddog
Pentode

Default Dansette Trent Cartridge.

Hi, getting to the end of this restoration and need a cartridge and stylus.
inputting to the amp from a leak tuner results in acceptable results but from the pickup not good.
It is fitted with a ua25 and a sx1m which i want to replace, does anyone know the output of this cartridge so i can find a suitable ceramic,hopefully someone has replaced one successfully.
I am wondering if this is not what was originally fitted.
I am restoring this for my daughter so would like it to sound as good as it can.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 8:44 pm   #2
rockinmark
Heptode

Default Re: dansette trent cartridge

You can use the Chinese red and black one or the flip over one both cheap
Old 28th Feb 2023, 8:32 am   #3
robreddog
Pentode

ok found the info in a post from 2014, 190 mv at 1cm/sec tracking 4-6 gms.
i am aware there are loads of chinese cartridges on ebay and have used one.
Old 15th Mar 2023, 4:29 pm   #4
robreddog
Pentode

is it possible to get a single play spindle for the ua25,had a check round without success, do not like the idea of daughters cherished spice girls classic's being dropped from a great height on to the platter ( from a much greater height yes !)thinking to cut down a spare spindle would that work.
It was a dirty dark blue when i got it but changed it to the red/cream combination, i can recommend the kobra acrylic spray cans.
managed to track the sc12h at 3.6 gms but it sounded better at 4.6gms.
All the fittings are original just cleaned up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230313_083018.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	275042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230313_082836.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	275043   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230313_083120.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	275044  
Old 15th Mar 2023, 4:38 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

No, there is no single play spindle for this deck, but it's a simple task to thread the record over the step in the tall spindle on to the turntable, then turn the on/off control to manual and place the stylus on the record by hand.

Barry
Old 15th Mar 2023, 6:50 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I could argue that the air cushion created on dropping (esp. on LPs) and that no handling is required using the autochange function, can protect your discs very well.....Oh dear - what have I started?
Old 16th Mar 2023, 12:05 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Trent Cartridge.

Agree with Edward. In any case, if you're worried about cherished records, this kind of suitcase player/deck is not for you!
It is quite easy to find hi-fi single play decks for under 100 notes, these can take high compliance magnetic cartridges and have far better arms with counterbalance, antiskate etc.

You could probably use the smaller stub spindle (they came in metal ad plastic variants) supplied with some '70s decks like the c141, but I think on these earlier BSRs the auto spindle is released by unclipping from below deck.
Instead of cutting a long one I would sell it on here - some of us have been looking for such parts recently - and use the money to get the stub one.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 7:11 pm   #8
robreddog
Pentode

the cherished records was a 'tongue in cheek' remark, pretty sure it will only be used as a occasional nostalgia player and definitely not with any of my more collectable vinyl, hum is more noticeable on this machine compared with the two bush srp31c i repaired during lockdown.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 10:18 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The stereo amplifier in this uses 2 x ECL82 and an EZ80 rectifier and the chassis is mains-isolated. Therefore, and unlike those amps using "U" series valves, annoying hum can usually be effectively treated by checking the smoothing arrangements and hum-inducing leads/wiring.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:03 pm   #10
nicam49
Hexode

Rob, that paint finish looks really classy ! What prep did you have to do to the original, and how many coats did you give it.....
I'm going to bookmark kobra acrylic paints....
Old 18th Mar 2023, 2:04 pm   #11
robreddog
Pentode

Edward, i changed all the electrolytics and no matter where i routed the random wiring could not reduce the hum, but having played a few tracks i am going to revisit the amp and see what i can do further, i have some twin screened cable ( probable as thick as the current wiring)from my previous work and wondered if that might help.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 2:13 pm   #12
robreddog
Pentode

i had tried a few different spray cans and then found kobra used mainly by the graffiti artist fraternity i think.
just wash off crud, use scotch pad to rough the surface a little i filled some dodgy areas using the superglue baking powder method, and kept applying till i was happy.
i practiced a bit on some the smaller sections first, you seem to be able to apply it much thicker than other types of spray.
Must be decent because i am no spraying genius.
Also i did it outside when the temp was down at 6-8 degrees !.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 3:53 pm   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I can't quite remember, but if there are "Tape Out/In" flying leads to the rear of the cabinet, and if you don't really need to use them, try removing these from the circuit.