UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2021, 10:58 pm   #1
Squipper
Pentode

Default Roberts RIC2 - Dial face variation

Hello all - I'm more the lurker that only ever pops up to help others, but I need some of yours this time if you can.

I have a Roberts RIC2 that I came across a good long while ago, and I've serviced it, and wiped it's face. I think it's tantamount unique as RIC2's go...

It has an original dial face, but it is black as opposed to the (very common) silver / grey. I have trawled high and low for information, but have come up blank. I wondered if any one of you lovely people had ever seen one?

I've repaired, serviced and prettyfied Roberts sets for a great many years, but this variation, as I say, has me stumped.

Any help, or thoughts are welcome! (please & thankyou)

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ric2a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	225852   Click image for larger version

Name:	ric2b.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	225853  

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 6:09 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts RIC2 - Dial face variation

I have such a set myself, and from the Roberts group serial number database the mainly black top panel is only found on some of the earliest RIC2s. Serial numbers of the two sets mentioned there as having it are 4705 (mine) and 6294, and the highest numbered RIC2 there is 108670. 4254 has the standard silver panel, so unless it's been changed not all the earliest sets were given the black one.

There may be more Roberts info and photos of interest to you at the group, migrated now from Yahoo to groups.io -

https://groups.io/g/robertsradiogroup

Paul
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 12:00 pm   #3
Squipper
Pentode

Thanks Paul. I'll get the details of mine and hopefully get it added to the database. It's '4479'

I have quite a few Roberts 'oddities' sets.

Do I email you the details and you upload? I can't seem to fathom to do it myself...

Paul

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 12:22 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Thanks, yes - as with the Hacker group it seems best to have moderator gatekeeping of the databases, not least because there's always the "digest" version to update too when a new number is added. So long since I've been there that I had forgotten I was only seeing the first page of 20 RIC2 serial numbers and we now have, with yours, 63 on file: so that includes a further couple of sets, 2185 and 2451, with the black dial plate.

Those with the variant dial all have black or at least "midnight blue" vinyl, so possibly the model was originally intended only to be available in black, and once a range of further colours was in the offing someone decided the set would look better with the silver dial that's become familiar.

Paul
Closed Thread