UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2023, 1:38 pm   #1
Revelation
Diode

Default BT Revelation

Hi Everyone, we have a BT revelation system installed over 20 years ago which has worked perfectly until on 5th January BT (without our consent) transferred our phones to another rogue company who (without our authority) tried to sake over our phone service.
BT now say that they cannot re-connect as a Revelation requires PSTN and also Featureline which they say is no longer available. I can see from the manuals that PSTN is required but can not see any mention of Featureline.
I spoke to an Openreach engineer in the street yesterday and he confirmed that PSTN was still available in our area but he did not know about Featureline.
Can anyone advise if Featureline is a requirement?

I am unsure if BT really can not simply reconnect or they are trying to sell me a new cloud based system
Antony
Old 19th Mar 2023, 3:39 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: BT Revelation

The PSTN is scheduled to be shut down in 2025 so that the buildings can be sold off. If you spend any effort or money on anything reliant on it, it will be wasted in about a year's time.

This is going to affect everyone relying on the PSTN in any way.
3G mobile is also on borrowed time.
There are all sorts of alternative arrangements, but none compatible with what you have, but none of these systems are likely to last as long as the copper PSTN.

There are already threads discussing all the possible options, so let's use them and not dilute them.

David