UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2023, 5:04 pm   #1
Ellie85
Tetrode

Default Decca AW8/AWG16 or Brunswick 54/47 Help!

I posted this over on the wanted forum, but I think it is better placed here.

I need some help from someone who has access to one of the above models, they all share the same chassis and have a rather complicated aerial arrangement.

I have bought a Brunswick, which has seen a fair bit of bodgery, most of which I can remedy, but the rear panel with the aerial is missing and all that remains are the cut end of the wires that ran to the aerial.

I need pictures, measurements, anything that can help me restore this to original condition.

"Radio Marketing" Service Man's Manual for the Decca AW8 sums up the radio as having several unusual features.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 11:31 am   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Decca AW8/AWG16 or Brunswick 54/47 Help!

Whilst I have some service info it's probably the same sheet as you have. It's the Service Engineer from August 1938 and there is no drawing or info re the aerial rear panel layout, sorry can't currently help.

Dave
Old 27th Feb 2023, 12:06 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Hi. I have the same as Dave, so I don't think that I have anymore information. Brunswick being the U.S version of Decca, I wonder if the American vintage radio site could be of any assistance in your quest?
Best regards
Mike
Old 28th Feb 2023, 10:29 am   #4
Ellie85
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Hi. I have the same as Dave, so I don't think that I have anymore information. Brunswick being the U.S version of Decca, I wonder if the American vintage radio site could be of any assistance in your quest?
Best regards
Mike
Bodgery aside, it's a British set, I have no doubt about that. I believe this was produced in the late 1930s when Decca only owned the British arm of Brunswick.

Thanks,

Ellie
Old 28th Feb 2023, 11:19 am   #5
G6ONEDave
Octode

Now not certain which service sheet you have but there is the Trader sheet 576 available at this link; https://www.service-data.com/search....&search=Search

Again no rear view but it does show the connections for the frame aerial onto a tag strip panel that's mounted on C27 and a poor photo of the frame aerial in situ.

Might be worth checking the Rider Perpetual Trouble Shooter Manuals for the Brunswiick versions, to see if any further info is there.

Dave
Old 28th Feb 2023, 12:03 pm   #6
Ellie85
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
Now not certain which service sheet you have but there is the Trader sheet 576 available at this link; https://www.service-data.com/search....&search=Search

Again no rear view but it does show the connections for the frame aerial onto a tag strip panel that's mounted on C27 and a poor photo of the frame aerial in situ.

Might be worth checking the Rider Perpetual Trouble Shooter Manuals for the Brunswiick versions, to see if any further info is there.

Dave
That isn't a match, it's a Brunswick 54, I can't find a Trader's service sheet, but there is a "Radio Marketing" Service Man's Manual for the Decca AW8 which is identical to the chassis I have in this Brunswick.

I will hunt it down the Rider Perpetual Trouble Shooter Manual and have a look.

Thanks,

Ellie
Old 28th Feb 2023, 12:06 pm   #7
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Best regards
Mike
Bodgery aside, it's a British set, I have no doubt about that. I believe this was produced in the late 1930s when Decca only owned the British arm of Brunswick.

Thanks,

Ellie
Well, as Dave mentioned it could be in the Rider manuals. I have the same thing with my Decca Prestomatic radios. One has British valves and the other American octals (not sure if the latter was Brunswick)
Old 28th Feb 2023, 12:42 pm   #8
Ellie85
Tetrode

It has Octals, either marked with a valve number and no manufacturer and a couple of British made valves, but those seem very likely to be later replacements.

I looked in the Riders for the a few years either side of the date of "Radio Marketing" Service Man's Manual for the Decca AW8, which is January or February 1940 but couldn't find anything similar.

Thanks,

Ellie
Old 28th Feb 2023, 7:54 pm   #9
Ellie85
Tetrode

I will push on with restoring the set, I need to mould and cast some buttons, recap it, replace the line cord and speaker wire, make up a new back panel and repair some damage to the wooden cabinet.

I would like to restore it to it's original configuration, as I've grown rather fond of this one, but I can use an external aerial in the meantime.
Old 1st Mar 2023, 1:22 pm   #10
G6ONEDave
Octode

You might have to track down copy of the Rider full index to find the model. I say this as some of the Rider books in my collection show models from several years earlier than the date of the actual book.

Dave
Old 1st Mar 2023, 1:40 pm   #11
Ellie85
Tetrode

Quote:
You might have to track down copy of the Rider full index to find the model. I say this as some of the Rider books in my collection show models from several years earlier than the date of the actual book.

Dave
I couldn't find an index when I did a quick search, but I will look again if it is the case that that sets appeared that long after being introduced.

Thanks,

Ellie
Old 1st Mar 2023, 3:36 pm   #12
Ellie85
Tetrode

I've looked through the index, but no luck.
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 3:09 pm   #13
G6ONEDave
Octode

It's a long shot but I've contacted the BL just incase they have info. They did help me with service info some years back for my Decca Stereo Decola, although that is a 1950's/60's vintage radiogram. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Dave
Old 11th Mar 2023, 11:57 am   #14
Ellie85
Tetrode

Quote:
It's a long shot but I've contacted the BL just incase they have info. They did help me with service info some years back for my Decca Stereo Decola, although that is a 1950's/60's vintage radiogram. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Dave
Thanks!

Ellie
Old 14th Mar 2023, 12:09 pm   #15
G6ONEDave
Octode

Just heard back from BL but no joy so far. They are keeping the request active for a couple of weeks just incase, so fingers crossed. Apparently they have a large amount of unsorted publications waiting to be categorized. It's always trying them though.

Dave
Old 14th Mar 2023, 5:41 pm   #16
Ellie85
Tetrode

Hi Dave,

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

Ellie
Old 22nd May 2023, 3:11 pm   #17
Ellie85
Tetrode

Just a bump in case anyone didn't see this first time round.

Thanks,
Closed Thread