UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2021, 4:00 pm   #1
SteveP1
Diode

Default Roberts R760 - dial illumination?

Hi can anyone tell me whether these 1980s radios had illumination? I've dusted down my old set which works very well but I was surprised that there doesn't appear to be any dial illumination? If not, is it something that's simple to add?
thanks
Steve
Old 4th Feb 2021, 4:17 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R760 - dial illumination?

No dial illumination on these - of all Roberts' transistor portables, leaving aside imported models that were badge-engineered sets by Samsung etc., the only model I can think of with an illuminated dial was a late version of the analogue Revival. Must be pretty straightforward to add using an LED or two, it's not something I've thought of doing but someone who has will likely be along soon.

Paul
Old 4th Feb 2021, 4:22 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Battery sets didn't tend to have scale illumination since the bulb would take far more current than the radio, shortening Battery life.

Some upmarket sets (Grundig springs to mind) had a dial light that came on by push button so only during tuning or to check the scale position or when connected to an external supply
Modern LED's provide far more efficient lighting but how well it will work on a scale not designed for it is anyone's guess.

The optimum colour may not be white but one that best illuminates your scale markings in your case yellow.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 4th Feb 2021 at 4:23 pm. Reason: crossed with Paul
Old 4th Feb 2021, 4:52 pm   #4
SteveP1
Diode

Thank you both for useful info
Cheers
Steve
Closed Thread