UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2011, 3:23 pm   #1
Graham-R
Pentode

Default Wireless set recommendations please

Hello all

I am interested in getting a quality wireless set in a few months time, so I thought I would get some ideas now. I would like a set from (ideally) the 1930's or perhaps the 1940's, but I am not an expert in such things (MW & LW ?) - so would really appreciate some suggestions.

As it could get quite a lot of use it will need to be reliable and use parts that are still readily available or easily repairable. Size is not too much of a problem, table size is ideal.

Please suggest your favourite sets !

Thanks

Graham
Old 12th Mar 2011, 3:29 pm   #2
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wireless set recommendations please

If your budget will stretch to it I'd go for a round Ekco. It would be an investment as well as a functional reliable nice looking set. A DAC90A would also be very reliable if you don't mind straying into the 50s. Personally I would avoid the earlier DAC90 if the set is to be used a lot due to the heat they generate.
Old 12th Mar 2011, 3:40 pm   #3
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

From the 40s you might consider a RAP646 - performs quite well, chrome chassis and glass back for added bling, and easy to fix and maintain. The bad news is that the last one that sold on eBay went for more than £200.

If you're prepared to consider the 50s, the Pye Fenman II is quite good, and you get VHF thrown in as well.
Old 12th Mar 2011, 3:54 pm   #4
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

I would agree with Dave , a round ecko "would set any room off" . Even SWMBO would agree I think.

Mike
Old 12th Mar 2011, 4:09 pm   #5
Leon Crampin
Octode

For more modest sums, I would suggest a Murphy. Styling is very much a personal thing but I'm fond of the Russell and Minns cabinet designs which are simple and beautifully constructed. The A46 table model comes to mind as a model I would wish to own for aesthetic reasons.

The last of the pre-war Murphy sets were very well built, used Mazda valves which are long lasting and out-perform the Mullard types of their era and can be easily restored. There are enough of them still around for the odd "difficult" spare to be obtainable - another Forum member kindly let me have a dial for my A46C which was flaking.

The last pre-war sets were at the pinnacle of valve radio design and construction - most post war developments other than VHF were aimed at cost reduction. I have several Murphy sets, all work well but my personal favourite (which does not meet your spec.) is the A30C. A really classic Russell console cabinet houses a basic 3 valve superhet - but being designed by Murphy it's done properly with band pass tuning and fully delayed AGC so it works really well. I use it every day.

Leon.
Old 12th Mar 2011, 4:21 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I don't want to offend anybody here, but IMHO the, inflated, cost of most Bakelite radios is never because of their audible or technical merits but because of thier visual appearance and style.

Of course this may be what you want and that's fine, but if you want something to sound good, be technically interesting and cost well under £100, I'd recommend a big old pre war "woodie" like a Bush PB53 or PB55 (8 watt output ), an Ekco PB189 (motor driven tuning), A Ferguson 378, 603 or 503 (push pull outputs and 10" speaker)... I'm sure I could think of more, but that will do for now

HTH
David
Old 12th Mar 2011, 5:24 pm   #7
trabant
Retired Dormant Member

If you can live with a 1950s set I'd personally go for any of the large Grundig or Blaupunkt sets; good quality bits of gear that do everything well and will probably have VHF/FM too. You may also be able to plug your ipod in too, with a minimum of fuss if your so inclined.

If you're definately looking for 1930s I'd go with the above advice and seek out a Murphy; I bought a very reasonable A30 last week.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Mar 2011 at 6:10 pm. Reason: FSK, GI.
Old 12th Mar 2011, 6:44 pm   #8
Graham-R
Pentode

Thanks for all the replies

One thing is apparent from the comments is that I had not really considered what type of case material. I like bakelite and wood, but as I envisaged this in a sitting room my immediate thought was for a wood case.

So, no round Ekco or DAC90 (I actually already have one of these - my first one cost me a shilling in 1969ish !), I also have a Roberts from 1953 so the 1950's are already covered quite well.

What I do want to avoid is paying huge amounts for a set, especially if it seems there is a well known auction site premium involved ! So that takes care of the RAP646 ! (that is quite a strange looking beast !).

Murphy, Bush and I like the sound of the motorised Ekco - these all seem to be good place to start (still room for more suggestions though) - which of these has the best sound quality ?

Also, the mention of external inputs, I don't expect many (any ?) to have such useful additions - I suppose adding another switch position might be quite easy ?

Thanks again, keep 'em coming !

Graham
Old 13th Mar 2011, 10:20 am   #9
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

The vast majority of radios of the quality you are looking for will have a "Gram" input. They are also likely to be AC only and therefore somewhat safer for connecting an external source.

The Ekco motorised one certainly meets both of these criteria.
Old 13th Mar 2011, 11:01 am   #10
audiomagpie
Heptode

I also have a soft spot for Murphy sets. But also consider some of the more straightforward of the 1940's Philips sets (they did otherwise do some quirky things), also if going back to 1930's the HMV/Marconiphone sets give excellent performance and take some beating. Not forgetting McMichael sets, well worth a look. For me personally, some of the nicest sets were made circa 1933 up to the war

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 13th Mar 2011, 2:33 pm   #11
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
The vast majority of radios of the quality you are looking for will have a "Gram" input. They are also likely to be AC only and therefore somewhat safer for connecting an external source.

The Ekco motorised one certainly meets both of these criteria.

Would it be correct assume that the gram input is not filtered as would be the case for RIAA vinyl input ?

What is the name of this Ekco set and what exactly is motorised about it/them?
Old 13th Mar 2011, 2:34 pm   #12
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagpie View Post
I also have a soft spot for Murphy sets. But also consider some of the more straightforward of the 1940's Philips sets (they did otherwise do some quirky things), also if going back to 1930's the HMV/Marconiphone sets give excellent performance and take some beating. Not forgetting McMichael sets, well worth a look. For me personally, some of the nicest sets were made circa 1933 up to the war

Greg
HMV/Phillips added to the list - what about Cossor ?

Graham
Old 13th Mar 2011, 3:43 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

The gram input on an old radio is more akin to the aux input on more recent equipment than an RIAA pickup input. It will be lower sensitivity and flat response. An inline or deck mounted RIAA preamp will be needed to play any decent cartridge's output through the GRAM setting on the radio. A high output ceramic cartridge may produce enough signal to be used direct, depending on the input impedance of the radio.

Something like this: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ekco_pb189_pb_189.html

would be the sort of Ekco suggested.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th Mar 2011, 4:27 pm   #14
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
The gram input on an old radio is more akin to the aux input on more recent equipment than an RIAA pickup input. It will be lower sensitivity and flat response. An inline or deck mounted RIAA preamp will be needed to play any decent cartridge's output through the GRAM setting on the radio. A high output ceramic cartridge may produce enough signal to be used direct, depending on the input impedance of the radio.

Something like this: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ekco_pb189_pb_189.html

would be the sort of Ekco suggested.
Thanks for that, presumably one of these new fangled ipod things would work quite well into a gram input, although they have quite a low output - has anyone actually tried that ?
I do have a Logitech/Squeezebox streaming device and that works quite well (most of the time) and that has a 'proper' line level output.

That Ekco PB189 looks a lovely piece of kit ! any idea of the going rate (and availability !) for a set like that ?

Graham
Old 13th Mar 2011, 6:31 pm   #15
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

The PB189 is a very nice set indeed. They are not an ideal beginner project though as the motorised tuning mechanism is likely to require attention.

I have done one several years ago and I have one in my "to do" pile at the moment.

In your original post you stipulate that parts should be readily available. This will probably rule out any of the motorised sets unless you buy one in restored condition and that probably won't be cheap.
Old 13th Mar 2011, 7:57 pm   #16
Graham-R
Pentode

Yes, you are right - a set with a motorised anything is probably not the ideal right now - one for the future.

Still I have been given plenty of ideas for when I actually get around to buying one.

Thanks everyone.

Graham
Old 14th Mar 2011, 12:32 am   #17
PJL
Dekatron

There are plenty of good quality wooden radios from the 1930's which can be purchased very cheaply.
You need an AC only set with a mains transformer for your ipod.
For best results a superhet with diode detector and AGC. The standard 4 valve + rectifier work fine.
HMV and Marconi mid 30's sets are best avoided due to the capacitor block. Some of the later 30's ones are OK though.
Avoid the sunrise Pye sets as they suffer from metal fatigue but again the later sets are generally OK.
Phillips sets are best avoided as they can be difficult. They use a rats nest method of wiring which takes skill and patience.
Murphy are well built and easy to restore but not to everyones taste.
Ferguson sets have good cabinets and are also easy to work on, even the push pull sets are OK.
GEC, Ferranti, Cossor and most of the small manufacturer radios are all easy to get going.
In my experience 30's valves are rarely faulty but you shouldexpect to replace all paper and electrolytic capacitors and maybe a few resistors.
Old 14th Mar 2011, 8:37 am   #18
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Many contributors have suggested Murphy, but I have found perished rubber wiring insulation to be a problem. I'd recommend a late 1930s HMV or Marconiphone such as the 556 or 559 which are very well built and look and sound lovely, and also have short wave coverage.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 14th Mar 2011, 9:47 am   #19
ex 2 Base
Heptode

I have read the above with interest as I have a HMV 1350 which is also listed as Marconiphone 879.My question is are they difficult to work on and are there weak areas to look out for.Ted
Old 14th Mar 2011, 10:42 am   #20
yestertech
Nonode

I have this lovely Murphy in 'rehab' at the moment if you're interested ?
It's model A72, 1939
Murphys are not to everyone's taste of course ... I rather like this
My son commented that it looks like a "wooden tumble dryer"
Philistine !

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A72 one.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	48173   Click image for larger version

Name:	A72 two.jpg