UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2010, 11:04 pm   #1
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default Pye push button with no long or medium wave

Hello again, I have got no medium or long wave stations coming in on a Pye push button circa 1960. It is Irish made so I do not have a circuit diagram. Short wave is very good and very clear with a wire ariel. There is sound of sorts but no stations on the others. The frequency changer is ECH 81. Regards Dick.
Old 6th Aug 2010, 11:35 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye push button with no long or medium wave

Start by cleaning the buttons and checking the wiring to them. Then look at the coils in the oscillator stage. Does the oscillator operate on MW and LW and then is it on the right frequency. If not operating at all, check the coils and caps connected with MW and LW. If you haven't got the circuit then trace it through. If it's on the wrong frequency, which is rare, then look at the trimmers.

If it looks OK here, then put an aerial on the grid of the pentode of the ECH81 and see what happens.

Also, remember that capacitors have a loss at lower frequencies, so check the one on the grid of the triode.

What's the model number of the set. I might be able to find a similar one in the British sets.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 7th Aug 2010, 10:07 am   #3
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
What's the model number of the set. I might be able to find a similar one in the British sets.
Or a picture of the innards.
Alan
Old 8th Aug 2010, 10:37 pm   #4
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi Steve P and Alan, could you please tell me what is the pin number for the grid of the pentode and the grid of the triode on the ECH 81 valve? Am I right in thinking that the heaters are pins 4 and 5? I have a lot to learn. Photos will be along soon. Thanks, Dick.
Old 8th Aug 2010, 10:57 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

This may help you, scroll the page down. If you click on the little book-like icon you arrive at a list of codes eg k = cathode, h = heater.......and so forth.
Old 8th Aug 2010, 11:08 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

Yes, the heaters are on pins 4 and 5. With the pins facing you, Pin 1 is on the left of the gap.

The grid of the triode is pin 9. The pentode grid that goes to the aerial circuit is Pin 2.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 12:10 am   #7
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi Steve P, I put the aerial wire on pin no 2, it made no difference to M.W. or L.W. but short wave went all garbled. I replaced two hunts capacitors that were leading off the ECH 81. There is no capacitor coming off pin 9 but there is a small pf coming off pin 8 with a hefty looking resistor. Will I check all capacitors and resistors around the wave change keys area. Regards Dick.
Old 29th Aug 2010, 11:13 pm   #8
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hello again, I have checked the capacidence of the pf capacitors and I came up with the following, 15pf @ 10% is now 19.4pf, 50pf @2% is now53.2pf, 10pf @ 0.5pf is now14.7pf, pf- is now 8.3pf, 150pf @2% is now 166.8pf. The pf- is as shown with no printed value on it. Could those differences stop M.W. and L.W. from coming in. If I have to replace those caps could ye recommend a present day equivalent with rated voltage. Thank you all, Dick.
Old 30th Aug 2010, 3:35 pm   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

Try a new ECH81. Does work sometimes, as they do go faulty. Check voltages on the valve as well.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 30th Aug 2010, 9:04 pm   #10
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi Steve, The ECH81 brings in M.W. and L.W. on a similar set. S.W. is perfect. How would I know if the long wave button is not engaging. Is there a voltage or signal I could check. Maybe these are stupid Questions to be asking. Regards Dick.
Old 30th Aug 2010, 10:17 pm   #11
Steve_P
Dekatron

Do a substitute both ways to be sure...

Do a thorough clean and use your eyes and the Ohms Range of the meter. There should be 0 ohms across a switch when all is said and done.

Readings on the valve on all valves would help here. Are there any parts common to LW and MW but not SW. Check these first.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 1st Sep 2010, 11:08 pm   #12
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hello again, The switch is indeed the problem. It seems to be a slider type but I cannot get to it as it is totally enclosed. Does this mean that I would need dis-assemble the whole switching unit plus any wires etc. I do have access to a similar set for reference. Also are such switches repairable. Thanks to everyone for your help. Dick.
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 10:06 am   #13
Steve_P
Dekatron

Spray a load of switch cleaner in and work the switch back and forth. You never know.

A photo or two would help here.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 5th Sep 2010, 12:21 pm   #14
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hello , This Thread can now be closed as the fault has been located, no luck with the switch yet. Thanks to all who helped me along the way. Dick.
Closed Thread