UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2019, 5:31 pm   #1
jhockridge
Triode

Default Hello. Help with resto of Roberts R606MB

Hello. I am new here and after some advice on the restoration of a roberts A606M. All seems to work ok on inspection but it is lacking the FM aerial which I hope to replace with that of another similar roberts radio purchased for spares.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a product or technique for cleaning the leather type covering.

I would also like to know if anyone has had success integrating a simple Aux input into the circuit. I have watched a lot of tutorials of adding one to a more recent radio with an audio controller chip but none for a simple radio.

Finally, could anyone shed some light on the function of the AFC button?

Thanks a lot for any help offered.

James
Old 1st Jul 2019, 5:36 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Hello. Help with resto of Roberts A606M

Do you mean a Roberts R606MB?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/robert...mbr_606_m.html
Old 1st Jul 2019, 5:47 pm   #3
Viscount
Heptode

i have an aeriel for the 606mb if you want it pm me with you details and i will send it
Old 1st Jul 2019, 6:11 pm   #4
WaveyDipole
Nonode

AFC = Automatic Frequency Control. After tuning an FM station, engaging AFC is meant to prevent the tuner from drifting off frequency so that the station remains ‘locked in’ and tuned.
Old 1st Jul 2019, 6:15 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The "AFC" button on some Roberts radios works in a non-intuitive way; you tune the radio with the button DOWN (so deactivating the AFC) then when you've found the best reception you press the button - which pops UP - to enable the AFC.

This eccentric piece of user-interface design has caught me out on occasions.
Old 1st Jul 2019, 6:40 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Adding an 'aux-in' to a radio such as the R606MB, which has a conventional rotary volume control, is quite straightforward. Basically the connection between the detector output and the volume control is cut and an input added (via a 'radio/aux' switch) at this point. There is a 'sticky' thread at the head of this section, which explains the procedure in detail. Although the thread is headed 'Adding an 'aux-in' to Car Radios, it applies equally to portables.
Old 1st Jul 2019, 8:02 pm   #7
jhockridge
Triode

Default Re: Hello. Help with resto of Roberts R606MB

Thank you for all the replies so far. I do mean the R606MB so sorry for the confusion there. Thanks for the explanation of how the AFC button works. I will check out the sticky thread for the Aux in connection and let you know how I get on. So far I am really impressed with the quality of the little thing compared to some of the modern radios I have used. I will just email Viscount and take him up on the kind offer of the aerial.
Closed Thread