UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2019, 11:35 am   #1
Fredsie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts Radio curious problem

Hi all

I have an elderly Roberts R9906 mains/battery portable. It's worked fine for many years but has now developed an odd problem - it won't switch off. The power switch still works as it switches the radio on, and when pressed again I see "Goodbye" on the LCD screen, but it then keeps on playing.
I've tried new batteries (including the concealed station memory batteries, which kicks it into "first start" FM scanning mode) but nothing seems to work. I thought it might have something to do with the sleep setting but although the sleep button again will turn the radio on, it doesn't go off after the specified time.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, or has any suggestions.

Cheers

Fred
Old 26th Jun 2019, 1:23 pm   #2
Fredsie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts Radio curious problem

Well it seems this is a puzzle I'm not likely to resolve.

So, is anyone interested in having this (otherwise working) radio in their collection? Free to a good home, Liverpool area. PM me.
Old 28th Jun 2019, 9:50 am   #3
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Have you tried a full reset which on these means removing the mains and batteries for at least a minute. This factory resets the radio meaning you lose any clock and memory settings. If this fails you will have to try and find a circuit diagram or Roberts service manual and and start checking supply lines etc.
Below is the users manual if its any help.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/95...page=22#manual
Old 29th Jun 2019, 11:35 am   #4
Fredsie
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah, the full reset doesn't cure it.

TBH it's not really a model I'd be inclined to go to that effort on. It's got a few years under its belt now but it's hardly a classic in any category. I think maybe I'll just move it to the garage where I can use it without batteries and turn it off and on with the mains switch.
Closed Thread