UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2006, 9:35 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Ferguson 909U - anyone have any info?

I have searched the web with no luck.

It's a pre-war AC/DC line cord dropper wooden shoe box with valves stuffed into every corner. It came with two out of 3 knobs but I am not convinced they are the right ones as they have metal grup screws on the grip which seems a little unsafe even for 30's standards.

Following Paul's excellent article on dropper capacitors I've just received a large plastic 3uF motor run type from Farnell which I will appropriately shoehorn into some spare space. After switch on I'll probably have no need of the knobs as the heaters will all be open...

Peter

Last edited by Darren-UK; 3rd Oct 2007 at 10:37 pm. Reason: To accord with edited title.
Old 11th Aug 2006, 11:42 pm   #2
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Default Re: Ferguson 909U - anyone have a picture?

This is my 909, not sure if the knobs are original but they look the part and look the same as in Radio! Radio! pp155..... centre knob is slightly different but the same style.

Screws are seriously recessed on my knobs, let me know if you want more detail,

Regards,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferg.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	4910  

Last edited by Mike Fulton; 11th Aug 2006 at 11:51 pm.
Old 12th Aug 2006, 8:01 am   #3
PJL
Dekatron

Thanks Mike and setsappeal. It looks as if the two knobs I have are not original but I have emailed the buyer in Switzerland in the hope there were two versions.

It looks a bit of a challenge and has quite a good lineup with large output valve, mains energised speaker and SW. I am curious to see how well it performs.

Mike, did you use a capacitor dropper?
Old 12th Aug 2006, 8:17 am   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I have one of these hidden away somewhere. It originally belonged to my grandma and I used it for a while after she died. I don't know how old it is but I suspect she had it from new. I can't easily get to it at present but from memory the knobs were very different. Quite sculpted with an embossed pattern in the front face. One had a lump missing. I suppose it's possible they made it with more than one type of knob.

I'm sure ai committed a youthful crime with mine. The line cord went bang with a shower of sparks one day. Not knowing about such things I replaced it with some ordinary flex. The radio worked fine but heaven knows what I've ruined.

PS: Trader sheet is 511 on the first BVWS CDROM.
Old 13th Aug 2006, 11:30 pm   #5
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Hi Peter,

Yes, I certainly did use a capacitive dropper for this set - it was the first time I'd done it and I remember I bought a motor run capacitor of about 4Mfd or so and tried to 'fine tune' it with high wattage resistors..... seem to recall it was a bit of a nightmare. Your 3Mfd will probably be a better bet, even if the supplies run a little low.

These days I salvage X & Y class capacitors from duff Switch mode power supplies (lots of those about) with values from .1 to .68 and build more accurate wattless droppers and have had no problems.

Remember to insulate all your connections well, because the backs of these sets are often poorly attached and can come loose with the least provocation - it's very easy to put your fingers inside if the back has fallen off so above all....

THINK SAFETY!!

Mike
Old 14th Aug 2006, 11:21 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

Mike, the 990 first appeared in the 1941 Ferguson brochure and it was clearly a wartime design. I guess in the middle of a war safety takes second place. Bit of a nighmare on this set as you say - especially without knobs! Sounds like yours is the same, two of the back screws are missing as the wood they secure to has worn.
Old 15th Aug 2006, 12:03 am   #7
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Hmm...
From what you say, yours is a mirror image of mine!! Must have all been built to the same spec , screws in mine are short dumpy things with virtually no room for threads and as you say, just don't stop in!

Do you have a copy of the brochure you mention?

It would seem these were quite a popular set, there's usually an example or two at the NVCF (paid £12 for mine) and they frequently fail to sell on ebay so keep an eye out and you might score on the knobs front (might even get yourself a servicable mains lead too!!)......

Regards,

Mike
Old 15th Aug 2006, 9:42 pm   #8
Rejectostat
Hexode

I inspected the example of the 909 or 910 at the BVWTM today, that did not have the same knobs as those pictured in the image of Mikes example shown earlier in this thread. I had one of these (a 909) at one time, but dismantled it about 15-20 years ago as beyond repair. As I recollect (and it takes a lot of remembering!) the knobs were different to both the model at the BVWTM and Mike's above, I seem to remember they were of a "swirly" pattern around the edges (perhaps the same as Jeffrey remembers and describes as "sculptural"). At this time is is possible (likely even) that due to wartime shortages Ferguson were using whatever stock they could get hold of to get radios to the market as soon as possible.
Old 15th Aug 2006, 10:36 pm   #9
PJL
Dekatron

I am still in the romantic phase of the hobby - you know where every radio should be saved. Picture of one of the two knobs attached, it's very small only about 15mm dia at top and has a pointer so wouldn't be right for tuning but maybe I could use one larger black knob for this and fill the screw holes with something insulative once assembled. Also attached is scan of brochure for mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	909 brochure.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	4982   Click image for larger version

Name:	909 knob.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	4983  
Old 16th Aug 2006, 10:50 am   #10
Rejectostat
Hexode

That knob pictured looks to be the tone knob from a black and chrome Ekco AC86 from 1935. Somebody with one of those Ekco's but missing that knob would probably be quite keen to do a swap of that with you!
Old 16th Aug 2006, 11:27 pm   #11
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Thanks for taking the trouble to scan the brochure for me, Peter - it's much appreciated.
Looking at the brochure, I remembered that I made a replacement dial card for my set as the original was badly damaged, I find I still have the original copies I made in PSD format should anyone require them....
Thumbnail enclosed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	909Dial lr.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	4991  

Last edited by Mike Fulton; 16th Aug 2006 at 11:32 pm.
Old 17th Aug 2006, 9:07 am   #12
newlite4
Octode

The knobs on my 909U are mushroom shaped, they look rather like organ stops, I always felt that these were the originals.
Thanks for the dial scan Mike, at some point in history someone converted the long wave band to short wave on my set and glued a paper scale on top of the bottom half - it was difficult to remove cleanly.
Neil
Old 17th Aug 2006, 11:12 pm   #13
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Neil,
If you want to recreate a dial for your set don't use my upload, send me your email address and I'll send you a much better quality rendition...
Original recreation is slightly over 2meg so let me know if you don't have a fast connection and I'll scale it down,

Regards,

Mike
Closed Thread