UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2019, 11:27 pm   #1
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Default Belling 322 'Art Deco' electric heater

Hello,
A couple of years ago I bought this Belling 1-2 Kw heater at an Antiques fair thanks to its super 'art deco' design and solid construction. I had seen one quite a few years ago and have looked for one ever since. I managed to obtain a N.O.S. element & fire clay block on Ebay as the original was cracked and replaced it. It's all working well now but I wondered if anyone has a picture or listing of this rare model in an old catalogue or publication. I have not been able to find any details so far and it would be great if it could be dated. Its original price would be a bonus too.
Many thanks & Happy Christmas,
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belling-322-art-deco-electric-fire_48935872083_o.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	195724   Click image for larger version

Name:	belling-322-art-deco-electric-fire_48936606597_o.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	195725   Click image for larger version

Name:	makers-plate_48936606712_o.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	195726   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear-of-belling-322-electric-heater_48936419576_o.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	195727  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 2:00 am   #2
fetteler
Octode

Default Re: Belling 322 'Art Deco' electric heater

Crikey George, what a super item you have there and how lucky you were to get an NOS element for it. Unfortunately I have no useful info for you other than my admiration
Steve.
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 3:09 pm   #3
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Sorry no info, George, but that's a grand looking heater!

Any chance of a pic of it powered-up and glowing, please?

Best Christmas Wishes

Peter.
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 7:44 pm   #4
buggies
Heptode

Looks like a "Cubic" - a (fuzzy) picture is on an ebay page which indicates it was 52 shillings in 1937-38.
Click the right arrow to get the 4th picture along.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383334118384

EDIT
Also included - but no colour - on page 47 of this catalogue:-https://archive.org/stream/SPCSLtdCCA195294/

Last edited by buggies; 23rd Dec 2019 at 7:50 pm. Reason: additional info
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 7:49 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

That's stunning!
Old 27th Dec 2019, 8:25 pm   #6
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Thank you all and thank you Buggies! Thats an amazing result, all has been revealed now. Thank you so much, its fantastic, I can't quite believe it!
Old 27th Dec 2019, 8:49 pm   #7
Atlantic 52
Pentode

My goodness me, Ive just checked and that 52 shillings in 1937 for the 'Qubic' would be £180 today!
Old 27th Dec 2019, 9:37 pm   #8
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Can we have a picture of it switched on?

Please??

Peter.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 9:40 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic 52 View Post
52 shillings in 1937 for the 'Qubic' would be £180 today!
Sounds a reasonable 2019 price to me if there were a demand and safety standards allowed such a thing to be made - anything involving a substantial lump of cast iron doesn't come cheap.

It is a beauty, and pretty scarce I'd imagine. Never seen one myself, but I've examples of the "Bungalow" (black) and "Pillar" (pink) from page 46 of the catalogue on archive.org.

Paul
Old 27th Dec 2019, 10:45 pm   #10
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Thanks Paul, I'll have to take a look. I think you are right about the price, it is very heavy and very well made at a time when things like this were made by people in the UK being paid a sensible living wage, albeit not a lot I expect. For 'Lancs Lad' Peter, here's the fire 'lit' with 8.3 amperes of mains current.
I have not seen another 'Qubic' for many years and thankfully this colour is ideal for our living room decor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2381.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	195954  
Old 27th Dec 2019, 10:53 pm   #11
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Paul, the Pillar is a nice looking fire. If I see such fires I intend to buy them as they are hard to find. I go to quite a number of Antiques Fairs and car boot sales in the 'kinder weather' months of the year and look out for them including TV's & radios of course!
Old 28th Dec 2019, 12:33 pm   #12
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Thankyou so much, George, for the picture of the heater switched on. Very nice indeed.

I wouldn't want to get my fingers anywhere near it when it was live, though!

Peter.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 3:07 pm   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Having a similarly "unsafe" Belling fire, I have been puzzling how to operate in a way that makes the live (and hot) elements inaccessible. The only thing I can think of is to enclose and fix the entire appliance within a cage that puts it beyond the reach of fingers.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 5:39 pm   #14
ajgriff
Nonode

Is it any less safe than an open fire? Presumably people didn't think so in the nineteen thirties when they would have used fire guards to protect young children. Beautiful fire, wish I had one.

Alan
Old 28th Dec 2019, 5:47 pm   #15
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've not been reluctant to use such fires - can't think of any obvious perils so long as they can't be knocked over, nothing can fall on them, and there aren't any small children or large pets in the vicinity. Touching the live element isn't at all tempting, and we haven't a toasting fork on the premises. Somehow though I still always choose a Belling Champion when being left unattended is a part of the brief.

Paul
Old 28th Dec 2019, 5:55 pm   #16
julie_m
Dekatron

Perhaps they were thinking the fact of the element being electrified would prevent people from wanting to touch it and so burn themselves, and the fact of the element being hot would deter anyone from wanting to touch it and receive an electric shock?

It's hardly any more dangerous than an open fire, especially if you were burning wood with an unknown moisture content and a tendency to spit out burning fragments. People with children or pets would have used a fireguard with a fine metal mesh screen, which would have worked just as well with an electric fire.

P.S. Did I mention, it looks even better when it's on?
Old 28th Dec 2019, 6:51 pm   #17
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
Perhaps they were thinking the fact of the element being electrified would prevent people from wanting to touch it and so burn themselves, and the fact of the element being hot would deter anyone from wanting to touch it and receive an electric shock?

It's hardly any more dangerous than an open fire, especially if you were burning wood with an unknown moisture content and a tendency to spit out burning fragments. People with children or pets would have used a fireguard with a fine metal mesh screen, which would have worked just as well with an electric fire.

P.S. Did I mention, it looks even better when it's on?
They had some kind of an electric fire that was popular here in the 1920's. It was over 1500 watts because it was designed for 230 volts. It was styled like a set of logs and gave the illusion of a natural fire.
When I was doing TV repair, the home owner plugged his TV into the receptacle intended for the fire and the damper tube exploded and fuse and one WW resistor.
The customer was lucky that the set wasn't a more expensive model with a mains transformer.
The home was older and wired when they used the same wiring devices for either voltage.
Dave, USradcoll1 Always interested.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 7:07 pm   #18
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Apart from the heat of the element as a deterrent there would be more caution back then. Even now many people [perhaps more] are frightened of electricity. I know Tradesmen who can do most things but [apart from not being suitably qualified anyway] wouldn't touch electrics. The main risk would be people sticking metal things into the element, as per an open fire for toast. You might burn yourself with the fire but no voltage there.

I recall the more futuristic [infra red?] 3kw fires in the late 60's/early seventies had a sort of Mica tube surrounding the elements. Children need protecting from most things but it's about awareness. My Grandmother died subsequent to burns when her nightdress ignited from an electric heater but also and significantly, in those days sleep ware was often made from highly inflammable materials. That was the same with domestic Sofas into the seventies, remembering the Woolworths fire in Manchester that eventually changed the law!

Dave W
Old 28th Dec 2019, 8:23 pm   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

Sell it to me. Now.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 8:27 pm   #20
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I recall the more futuristic [infra red?] 3kw fires in the late 60's/early seventies had a sort of Mica tube surrounding the elements.
Yes, that was a thing in the 70s : my parents had one of these:

https://trevorhowsam.com/wp-content/...155188577.jpeg

[with a sort-of avocado-green surround, as was nauseatingly-popular back then]

Three sheathed-tube elements. I never managed to convince my parents that running this thing from electricity was at least 3x what the same amount of heat from their oil-boiler would cost.
Closed Thread