UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2020, 7:49 pm   #1
bill knox
Hexode

Default R1155 voltages

Hi All

I am not sure if this has been talked about here before but has anyone a comprehensive list of the voltages for the R1155 including around the magic eye.

Thanks in advance

Bill
Old 13th Jan 2020, 8:35 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: R1155 voltages

Just looked in an old T1154/R1155 manual and yes the circuit etc but no voltages!The manuals on VMARS do not show voltages other than supply.

Last edited by HamishBoxer; 13th Jan 2020 at 8:58 pm.
Old 13th Jan 2020, 10:21 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Bill, one problem with this set is what you use as the common point.

HT neg is not connected directly to earth as it is also used as a bias supply.
Total HT voltage is typically 220 to 250v.

Ed
Old 13th Jan 2020, 10:31 pm   #4
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Bill, post #2 of this thread should help https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=114613 Cheers, Jerry
Old 15th Jan 2020, 5:32 pm   #5
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Cathoderay57

Yes, that is exactly what I am after, I have downloaded post 1 and post 2 as post one gives all the details of the bias arrangements, which is very important on one of these sets.

On turning the set on for the first time I was greeted by a bit of a hot smell and when I had a feel of the 4uf block paper capacitor it was bulging and very warm so I whipped it outand did my usual thing with it, namely broke it open and removed the paper and wax and am waiting for some 4.7uf 275v wkg. to arrive, will then refit and carry on with the set, I will be restuffing the 3 X .1uf capacitors so as to keep it looking as original as possible.

Thank you for the replies, very grateful to all

Regards

Bill
Old 15th Jan 2020, 10:18 pm   #6
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Bill, glad to help with the link. I restored one of these a couple of years ago Inc building a power supply and an AF amp. All of the metal-cased paper caps underneath the coil box were very leaky and a bit of a struggle to solder in replacements but I got there in the end. It was also a pain getting the slow-motion tuning drive to work. It has 3 bevel wheels inside and a leather friction gasket. If the gasket has gone it's hard to replace. Cardboard doesn't work. Best advice is, if the slomo drive is working tolerably well, leave it alone and don't try to improve it otherwise you will inevitably make matters worse. After repair mine slipped a bit but worked over most of its range. Good luck!
Old 15th Jan 2020, 10:51 pm   #7
bill knox
Hexode

Hi

That sounds as though it was the type 13 control, my R1155 has the type 35 fitted, it does not suffer the same as the older version, they were a real pain

Bill
Old 19th Jan 2020, 11:53 am   #8
bill knox
Hexode

Hi all

Many thanks "Cathoderay57" for the voltage list it has assisted me it curing a problem that the R1155 had.

I have realised that the R1155 was very deaf and only received strong stations.

When I started to measure voltages I came to the 1st IF valve and found that there was no anode volts, I started looking for R30 and at first could not find it and then realised that it was in the IF can, so I started to remove the can and the first thing that happened was one of the can fixings holding it to the chassis snapped off, so I said "bother" and carried on removing the can and there was R30 all black and O/C, I changed it for a new resistor.

I now made a new can fixing by hammering a 4BA screw flat and drilling 2 holes and fixing it to the can.

I then started looked to see what had caused the resistor to go O/C in the first place and then the penny dropped, I checked the decoupling capacitor the .1uf ( 3 in a can and it was very leaky so while the I.F can was out of the set I whipped out the capacitor can prised off where the can was sealed at the bottom and then had to heat capacitor can with a heat gun to melt the wax and took out the 3 capacitors, I then changed all 3 capacitors, refitted everything checked all was OK and switched on, wow, what a difference, I have to say I think the R1155 is one of the best I have heard and is so sensitive.

It goes without say I will be changing all the capacitors in cans, the only one that is worrying me is the one at the back of the coil can I cannot see how I am going to get to it, If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful

Bill
Closed Thread