UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2019, 12:37 am   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Quad CD66 Distortion

First time symptom; CD plays sounds great as it has done for years, then after a few CD's was very distorted on both channels. Not skipping or dropping out, just horrible audio distortion. You can't listen to it. Same and equal on both channels. Switched off, waited and turned on again and it sounds fine for maybe 30 seconds then slowly the distortion creeps back and 10 seconds later you can't listen to it.

In the past, all electrolytic caps have been changed. I recently fitted new bulbs to the display which I can now see works well as does the remote. No problems with spinning up the disc.

Any clues as to where to start looking would be appreciated I suppose it must be some common part after the DAC?

Thanks
Old 10th Apr 2019, 6:32 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Quad CD66 Distortion

Start by checking all the power supplies. Find out how the reference voltage for the DAC is arranged.

A lot of distortion is helpful, you should be able to record a test tone on a CD and see the distortion on an oscilloscope.

David
Old 10th Apr 2019, 10:29 am   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

An opamp getting the wrong bias? Maybe a resistor has gone open circuit, so you are relying on leakage current to set DC conditions.
Old 10th Apr 2019, 1:50 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The Quad CD66 uses Philips–based electronics & CD mechanism – a basic S.M. with annotated component–level circuit–diagrams can be obtained from:–

https://elektrotanya.com/quad_66_cd_.../download.html

Have a look at all the power supply voltages first as Member Radio Wrangler suggests, if you find it's not a psu fault, you'll need to make yourself a tone–test disc recording (I think you can get signal generator apps for PC use to to this!) – and if it looks you're getting stuck, myself or other Members'll help you go thro' it to locate the trouble!

A defective pickup or laser would not cause distortion on it's own – you'd get other far more obvious symptoms if the pickup or laser is defective!

Chris Willams
Old 10th Apr 2019, 7:20 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I once had something that sounded a bit like distortion in a CD player using an older Philips chipset. It turned out to be the RAM chip which was giving (intermittant?) bit errors.
Old 10th Apr 2019, 9:29 pm   #6
PWH
Heptode

Thanks for the replies. I am in the process of moving and all my equipment is in transit.
I will report back when I have tried the above.
Old 11th Aug 2019, 9:33 pm   #7
PWH
Heptode

Turns out that it was a dry joint(s)! Put it on the bench and tested it and didn't work. Took it apart and obviously jogged the bad connection as it came back to life. Reworked the joints around the PSU and it seems fine now.

Thanks everyone.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 2:02 pm   #8
Lance G
Triode

Always good to get feedback when a solution is found. Well done !
Thanks.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 4:32 pm   #9
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH View Post
Turns out that it was a dry joint(s)! Put it on the bench and tested it and didn't work. Took it apart and obviously jogged the bad connection as it came back to life. Reworked the joints around the PSU and it seems fine now.

Thanks everyone.
It`s very often dry joints on Philips kit, TVs, Washing Machines, Testgear, whatever - my dad reckoned it had always been like that and he was familiar with pre war Philips Radios.
Closed Thread