UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2021, 7:42 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default RetrotechUK now 26th September '21

The BVWS committee have made the decision to postpone RETROTECHUK (formerly the NVCF) at the Warwickshire Event Centre from 9th May to a new date of SUNDAY 26th SEPTEMBER 2021.

This is due to the on going COVID-19 situation and although there is now light at the end of a very long tunnel, we feel that restrictions and social distancing measures that will possibly still be in place during May will hopefully have been relaxed somewhat by September, allowing both our visitors and many varied stall holders alike to experience a very successful and enjoyable day!

Keep your eye on the RetrotechUK website for further details and information, stall holder booking forms for the rescheduled event will be available to download from March onwards. https://www.retrotechuk.com

We look forward to seeing you there!

BVWS committee chairman

Last edited by audiomagpie; 9th Jan 2021 at 7:53 pm.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 8:41 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: RetrotechUK now 26th September '21

Although it seems a long time to wait, I was beginning to worry that May was cutting things a bit fine and September seems a safer bet. Let's just hope that things are sufficiently "normal" by September, as I'm definitely suffering from withdrawal symptoms, as I suspect are many others here.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 8:48 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I will update the RetrotechUK website and BVWS website in the next couple of days.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Jan 2021, 3:15 pm   #4
chriswood1900
Octode

Postponing it to 26th Sept seems a very sensible decision, we should stand a fighting chance of having that longed for get together safely.
My thanks to Greg and the Committee for sorting this.
Old 10th Jan 2021, 4:22 pm   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
... I'm definitely suffering from withdrawal symptoms, as I suspect are many others here ...
My living room floor has a steadily growing heap of things for sale !

September is a good choice - late enough to benefit from the maximum improvement in the situation but early enough for any winter issues not to have got going.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 10th Jan 2021, 6:57 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

I don't know if it's been asked before, but why did the name change? Personally, I find the new name cringeworthy.

Cheers

Aub
Old 10th Jan 2021, 7:41 pm   #7
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
I don't know if it's been asked before, but why did the name change? Personally, I find the new name cringeworthy.
The show is open to the general public and you have to think what the name "vintage communications fair" would mean to them, it really doesn't cover what is there and for the fair to make financial sense we have to find a way to get numbers up. There's also been talk about bringing in additional exhibits, still related to the kind of stuff that turns up at the fair.

Problem is, it is very difficult to find a short name that covers it.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 10th Jan 2021, 7:42 pm   #8
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I think the name changed from National Vintage Communications Fair to the Retrotech is because of the increasing diversity of the items for sale in the fair.

There is quite a considerable amount of hi-Fi and related accessories on the stalls for sale now in recent years compared to years ago and probably to help start including such categories as “retro games” to the event which seems to be gaining in popularity now.

I think this is partially due to the increasing popularity of old (post 1960 era) Hi-Fi, record players ECT. and the decrease in the number and interest of new-find vintage radios and 405 line television sets being found now. (Content on AM radio is getting rather lacking in interest doesn’t help either!!)

If the event tried to limit stalls to selling only radio, television, telephones, valves and vintage test equipment I think that it would struggle to gain enough interest to allow the event to continue without being a financial loss.

Christopher Capener
Old 10th Jan 2021, 7:50 pm   #9
Reelman
Octode

Sorry to see it delayed although a wise decision. I also have loads to take and sell so really looking forward to it. To keep with the Retrotech feel I’ll bring some old original IBM PCs to sell. Wish I had some spare CGA/EGA monitors though.
Also looking forward to Golborne eventually....

Peter
Old 10th Jan 2021, 9:17 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

We wanted to widen the range of technology included in the name, to better represent the diverse range of items already offered and also to encourage a wider range of items that could appeal to more people including younger people.

Things like old computers, gaming consoles, video recorders, electronic toys, record players, hi-fi systems and other electronic devices, as well as records, cassettes, video tapes and software etc from the last 40-50 years don't really fit the "vintage communications" label but do fit "retro technology". However the more traditional range of vintage radios, televisions and telephones etc fit either label equally well.

As Jon said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
Problem is, it is very difficult to find a short name that covers it.
And then to find one where a suitable internet domain name is available!

Paul Stenning
Old 10th Jan 2021, 11:27 pm   #11
Aub
Nonode

Ok. Thanks for the explanations. Based on what's been explained and, because this forum is non-commercial, I assume there's no imperative, thank goodness, to change it's name to the Retrotech Repair and Restoration forum. 🙂

Cheers

Aub
Old 11th Jan 2021, 8:26 am   #12
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Ok. Thanks for the explanations. Based on what's been explained and, because this forum is non-commercial, I assume there's no imperative, thank goodness, to change it's name to the Retrotech Repair and Restoration forum. 🙂
Nah, should be fine. Forum is doing well as it is, whereas if there is any further decline in the visitor numbers to RetrotechUK (the artist formerly known as NVCF) the event will be no more.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 11th Jan 2021, 10:33 am   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
if there is any further decline in the visitor numbers to RetrotechUK (the artist formerly known as NVCF) the event will be no more.
That would be sad indeed, but I suppose it's a classic case of "use it or lose it".
Old 11th Jan 2021, 5:26 pm   #14
electronicskip
Nonode

I think provided it goes ahead its going to be very busy indeed this year given that like minded people have been starved of meets and fairs.
Also with the added "retro" sounding name its going to attract new blood which might encourage younger people to take up our fabulous hobby.
Old 11th Jan 2021, 6:15 pm   #15
agardiner
Octode

Noooooo..... I am away (restrictions permitting) that week!

Have to wait until 2022 now.
Old 25th May 2021, 9:33 am   #16
SeanStevens
Octode

Has anybody experienced a delay getting stall tickets back?

I've been waiting a while but the event is a LONG way off!

SEAN
Old 25th May 2021, 1:54 pm   #17
Paul Stenning
Administrator

They will be sent out a couple of weeks before the event. This year especially the organisers need to be as confident as possible that it is going ahead before printing and posting tickets.

If you want to make sure your booking has been received please email Greg using the address at the bottom of the website https://www.retrotechuk.com/

Paul Stenning
Old 25th May 2021, 5:35 pm   #18
SeanStevens
Octode

Thanks Paul

SEAN
Old 27th May 2021, 10:34 am   #19
electronicskip
Nonode

Will it still be cash on the door for ticketing? or will they revert to online ticket ordering as many other organisations have done this year?

At the moment the website still says cash on the door but im guessing that may change?
Old 27th May 2021, 6:53 pm   #20
Aub
Nonode

And will there be two tier admission?

Aub