UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2019, 5:13 pm   #21
ian rose
Pentode

Default Re: AR88 Front Panel Colour

I remember seeing a 'photo of some 88's in a rack mounted situation with grey front panels.
Old 15th May 2019, 6:01 pm   #22
turretslug
Dekatron

Do you recall if they still had the horizontal chrome strips flanking the frequency scale/logging scale/meter aperture- I'd heard it said (usual disclaimer for hearsay!) that some RAF (?) ones had the chrome strips removed and front panel finished in smooth grey paint, supposedly to assist in decontamination. I was never very convinced by this explanation, as it's far from being a sealed piece of equipment (no base or lid gaskets and lots of big ventilation slots in the rear panel, whose bottom third is cut away anyway) and front panel strips would be a very minor consideration compared to the rest of the case and innards, really,
Old 16th May 2019, 9:29 am   #23
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

Yes, I have seen those grey ones, also some of the "RAF" vesions looked grey but were very pale blue.
Mine came with the strips in a kind of khaki colour, no hint of chrome unlike the majority. Just trying to find someone locally who can re-chrome mine.
Andy
Old 17th May 2019, 5:14 pm   #24
ian rose
Pentode

I fear I cannot remember if those grey versions in the rack sported chrome strips.
Old 17th May 2019, 5:15 pm   #25
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

So,were the AR88,s used by the RAF?
Old 17th May 2019, 5:43 pm   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Yes - many of the RAF ones were modified, with a different antenna socket and a panel with an on/off-switch and jack-socket fitted below the off/trans/rec switch on the front panel. The socket was for high-impedance headphones.

RAF had their own 'number' for these modified AR88s - they called it the R1556.

There's a thread about this here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=90185 and a photo of one in use here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...4&d=1352667668
Old 17th May 2019, 7:02 pm   #27
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you for that,I saw a few at E.Kirkby where I went to see the Lancaster a few weeks ago and was not sure they were correct.
Now it seems they are indeed.Saved me posting pictures I took inside the control tower,although there was other interesting stuff too.
Old 18th May 2019, 1:45 pm   #28
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Yes - many of the RAF ones were modified, with a different antenna socket and a panel with an on/off-switch and jack-socket fitted below the off/trans/rec switch on the front panel. The socket was for high-impedance headphones.

RAF had their own 'number' for these modified AR88s - they called it the R1556.

There's a thread about this here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=90185 and a photo of one in use here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...4&d=1352667668
Mine is one of the early AR88, s/n 1017 not a D or LF, frequency range is same as D, it had two extra holes in front panel that had been filled. When I had it paint stripped to renew it and make sure engraving was good, I decided to fill them in again as the chassis appeared not to have the wiring for the extra parts. I have a feeling this particular radio has had many changes done to it in its lifetime so its ancestry is a bit difficult to define.

It had the wiring and pot for the S-meter however. Have found a local company who caan do re-chroming of the strips for a nominal sum.

I really cannot believe how sensitive and stable these radios are after replacing most of the suspect components.
Andy
Old 18th May 2019, 2:52 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

And your tuning dial should be black lines and numbers on a yellow background for all bands.

David
Old 18th May 2019, 7:05 pm   #30
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
And your tuning dial should be black lines and numbers on a yellow background for all bands.

David
Yes David
It does.
Regards
Andy
Closed Thread