UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2015, 2:48 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Speaker surround replaced on Grundig Satellit 650

The speaker surround on a Grundig Satellit 650 had completely disintegrated. I obtained a generic replacement surround of the correct size from Speaker Repairs.co.uk, their type FS401. I cleaned up the edge of the old cone using a very sharp craft chisel, and also the metal frame using a screwdriver then IPA. I then carefully glued the new surround in place using the proper glue.

I actually refitted the speaker to the radio chassis having turned it through 180 degrees as this tends to offset any droop that may have occurred during the previous life of the speaker, especially in the rear surround. On that subject, you are advised to also cut away the speaker cone's centre dome and use thin plastic strips eased down into the magnet/coil gap to centre the coil/cone while the new surround is fitted. You don't have to do this however, and I checked out the voice coils' 'centralness' by rocking the cone in every direction to see if the 'natural' position of the cone was central. In my case, it seemed that (as is often the case) the cone had drooped with gravity, hence that's why I turned it through 180 degrees when refitting. BTW, if you do cut away the central dome, you have to glue a new one in place - it's not as bad as it seems. Nonethless, I was able to 'save' the original dome by my less invasive approach. The result? it seems to be perfect. I've tried lots of bass and it takes it without problem.

I first reconed a 12 inch guitar loudspeaker in the 70s when someone put their foot through the cone. With that one I did a complete recone. Then in the 80s I refoamed a Wharfedale SFB open baffle hi-fi speaker from the 50s where the foam surrounds on all three drivers had rotted to nothing. On that occasion with there being no internet, no search facility, I made my own new surrounds using thin foam that I cut out using various sizes of dinner plates, saucepan lids, whatever as 'dies' to cut around. That worked a treat too.

BTW The Grundig Satellit 650 still has a few niggling problems, but that's another story!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010212.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	117348   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010214.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	117349   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010220.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	117350  
Old 24th Dec 2015, 2:23 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Speaker surround replaced on Grundig Satellit 650

Good job well done !

I had to do the same thing with a pair of elliptical bass resonators on a pair of KEF Cadenzas....a tad more tricky but they still working well.
Old 26th Dec 2015, 11:53 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Well done, Steve. I've only tackled a handful of 'speaker repairs myself, nothing as drastic as yours but they've all worked out OK. I like classic Grundig portables, which are beautifully built and sound very good. I hope you resolve the remaining niggling problems.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 27th Dec 2015, 3:19 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks guys. Actually, refoaming a speaker is much easier than you'd think. It does seem daunting at first, but the actual procedure just requires common sense, a reasonably deft hand, and a good clean up of surfaces to be glued prior to attempting to fit the new surround.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 1:05 am   #5
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

these are actually Italian made FAITAL speakers, Grundig started using them after they quit making their own speakers. These same speakers were also used in TVs and car radio installations back then.

Some have better foam surrounds or rubber surrounds and are still fine.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 10:14 am   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks for the info Jimmy. In case I ever need a replacement, do you know if they are still available?