UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2014, 9:55 pm   #101
pichacker
Hexode

Default Re: Favourite Colour Televisions.

Cheers taz.
Old 13th Aug 2014, 10:21 pm   #102
gavinhall
Retired Dormant Member

For me it would be the TX9 as I started in the late 80's, there were two chassis for it, 1001 and 1044. The later one was better with text, the tubes were good and one of the common faults was RGB driver transistors on the 1001 tube base. The rest is fairly standard. I liked the remotes too with they're nice plastic positive buttons. I'd love to get one again.

Gavin
Old 14th Aug 2014, 12:08 am   #103
threeseven
Octode

Early Philips G8 for me. As a young service technician at CES, I was seduced by it's modular construction and logical layout.
Old 14th Aug 2014, 1:13 am   #104
michamoo
Hexode

Not enough pictures on this thread
Old 14th Aug 2014, 9:55 am   #105
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

There are a lot of good sets around from different manufactures.
But one of the best chassis for ease of service in it"s later form with the TDA4600 power supply i think was the Thorn TX9.
The 16"version, with text a great sharp picture the crt and the lopt seemed to last forever and made in the UK.
Old 14th Aug 2014, 12:46 pm   #106
Libratron
Pentode

Sony KX-20PS1

Libra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p018i2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	96186  
Old 14th Aug 2014, 10:53 pm   #107
samjmann
Heptode

Hi all,

I think my favourite of the delta gun sets was the Philips G8. The worst thing was the service manual which was a nightmare to use unless it was all kept together neatly in a ring binder - most engineers didn't bother.

The firm I worked for in the seventies used the RBM A823 chassis as the main rental set. Why I'll never know, access to that passive 'rengenerator' decoder was near impossible. We bought a test-rig from Bush that allowed the PCB's to be repaired out of the Tv. Anyone remember them?

For the most part the G8 was easy to fix, but the power consumption must have been high, remember all those dropper sections!

SJM.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 8:04 am   #108
KeithsTV
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinhall View Post
For me it would be the TX9 ....... I'd love to get one again.
You have a PM

Keith
Old 15th Aug 2014, 8:12 am   #109
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjmann View Post
Hi all, We bought a test-rig from Bush that allowed the PCB's to be repaired out of the Tv. Anyone remember them?
I still have my extension lead kit somewhere. The crazy thing was the special lead kit was still not long enough to place the panel on the bench! I purchased two of them and connected them together, four extension leads in all...This was a horrible time for RBM. Other than the mono 640 and the 22" dual standard colour receiver, the chassis produced by RBM after the TV125 were nothing to write home about.regards, John.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 8:20 am   #110
pichacker
Hexode

A823... Never liked the coulour as it appeared noisy to me.

My favourite would be G11. Stunning pictures.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 8:25 am   #111
Mikey66
Hexode

I must admit to liking the Bush Z718, I never worked on them in anger but the little white, Saba badged one I got from another forum member is a really nice set. Easy to work on and a cracking picture

Mike C
Old 15th Aug 2014, 9:25 am   #112
pichacker
Hexode

I had an ITT CVC series set once which had a pull out remote control drawer unit. It was ultrasonic. Good looking set, great picture.

As a young lad I used to change my TVs as often as my mates changed their cars!! GEC2040, PYE 69x, 3500, G8, G8, Rediffusion MK4....

Last CRT one was a Sony KVS2912.... Kept this one the longest mainly becuse it was so heavy I coudn't move it!!!

Last edited by pichacker; 15th Aug 2014 at 9:31 am.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 10:50 am   #113
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

My first dual standard colour set was a GEC 2028 for which I was impressed with the picture quality. I also had a d/s Philips G6, that was a beauty. This set had excellent quality picture with good picture stability due to the PD500 giving good EHT stabilisation.

I liked the Pye, Decca Bradford and ITT CVC5 hybrid colour s/s sets as well.

My favourite solid state sets were the Philips G8 (520), GEC 2110, ITT CVC30, Philips K30 and Thorn TX10 which were all easy to work on and repair. The Philips K30 was the probably the most reliable of the these five sets. The CVC30/32/25 sets had the advantage that the plug in modules could be plugged in on the opposite side of the main board. Early versions had LEDs on the main chassis for fault assistance.
I also liked the Philips G11, a great set for servicing.

Regards
Symon.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 11:03 am   #114
threeseven
Octode

Image of the Philips G8 early version as I mentioned above.
If anyone has one they are willing to part with I would be very interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g8_cha9.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	96215  
Old 15th Aug 2014, 11:20 am   #115
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My favourite - if only because it was the first TV I bought new, entirely with my own money - was the little NEC portable TV/radio/cassette-player I had as a student.

Basically like this one:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/nec_ct_6000.html

though mine had switchable PAL/NTSC on the TV side, and also a rather-ineffectual shortwave band on the radio side.

With a decent antenna hooked up, from mid-Wales I regularly would watch Irish stations on it and during the sp.e season it was handy for TV-DXing from hilltops. It also had the convenient ability for the cassette-recorder to record directly from the TV audio-stages - better for recording "Top of the Pops" than the usual trick of putting a mic in front of the TV speaker and telling everyone else in the house to be quiet.

I forget what became of this little TV - I suspect it might well have migrated into the posession of one of my nephews a couple of decades ago.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 5:30 pm   #116
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I think the G8 only used about 170w in power which was quite good when compared to the 300w that the hybrid colour sets of the same era used.
I well remember the TX9 from when they were new. Radio Rentals just could not get enough of them and those 14" tubes were just so good. But they did keep us busy with that oversensitive crowbar circuit. The mk2 version with the TDA4600 self oscillating power supply was so reliable I don't remember seeing any in for repair.
As much as I loved these new smart little sets from Thorn my favourite has to be the Philips KT3, the picture, especially on the 14" models, was just so good with an excellent black level. Reasonably reliable and when they did go wrong they were nice and easy to work on. The later CTX E although ok did not quite have the same picture quality about them.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 10:15 pm   #117
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
I well remember the TX9 from when they were new. Radio Rentals just could not get enough of them and those 14" tubes were just so good. But they did keep us busy with that oversensitive crowbar circuit. The mk2 version with the TDA4600 self oscillating power supply was so reliable I don't remember seeing any in for repair.
Hi.

I'm fairly sure Thorn introduced a revised version of the thyristor power supply (PC1040 I think) in the TX9 before that gave way to the PC1044 chopper power supply version. I remember those early TX9's were a nightmare if you had intermittent operation of the crowbar trip. It seemed a case of trial and error by replacing various parts to solve the problem. What a massive relief when the chopper version came along, it was a very reliable set thereafter. The Hitachi based LOPT hardly ever gave trouble. I had one or two sets with field output chip failure but not a lot else gave many problems. I preferred the later TX9's to the TX90.
I liked the old Mullard 5000 series remote control system that some of the TX9 and TX10 sets used.

Regards
Symon.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 11:16 pm   #118
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichacker View Post
A823... Never liked the colour as it appeared noisy to me.
We only got half-colour on ours, there was no yellow or blue!
Old 16th Aug 2014, 11:09 am   #119
samjmann
Heptode

Hi,

The Tx9 gave a truly excellent picture and it was British (well mostly). Like everyone else we had a few headaches with that crowbar trip circuit. After a while we began to notice that the sets that went wrong with this were often used in a kitchen. One of our field engineers had a TX9 at home in the kitchen, and he found that when his washer was on spin, the crowbar trip would be activated. Despite all the mod's the set always did this. In the end the set was moved to the bedroom, it never failed again.

Did the pulses from the Triac on the washer motor upset the Tv psu? The only thoughts we had were, as the set was moved to a different ring main, that offered a little more filtering to the HF from the motor.

SJM.
Old 17th Aug 2014, 3:36 pm   #120
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
I'm fairly sure Thorn introduced a revised version of the thyristor power supply (PC1040 I think) in the TX9 before that gave way to the PC1044 chopper power supply version. I remember those early TX9's were a nightmare if you had intermittent operation of the crowbar trip. It seemed a case of trial and error by replacing various parts to solve the problem. What a massive relief when the chopper version came along, it was a very reliable set thereafter. The Hitachi based LOPT hardly ever gave trouble. I had one or two sets with field output chip failure but not a lot else gave many problems. I preferred the later TX9's to the TX90.
I liked the old Mullard 5000 series remote control system that some of the TX9 and TX10 sets used.
Yes I think they did bring out a few modifications for the original TX9 thyristor power supply. I rather liked the TX90 and have a good example of a 14" model which is in perfect working order. I don't think its seen much use. But I do agree that the pictures are not as good as a TX9 or KT3. I also had a lot of respect for the 14" Hitachi sets of the same era. Very reliable with very good pictures. The Bath Hotel in Lynmouth use to have one in every room and gave them little or no problems.

Last edited by AC/HL; 17th Aug 2014 at 11:22 pm.
Closed Thread