UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2019, 8:01 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Funai DBVR6510 VCR no RF output.

Hi,

I have a funai VCR which i bought for temporary use a while back, but it has now been made redundant, as i took the pinch roller for a better VCR. I was thinking of a way to add a second RF input to my TV, so i dont have to keep pulling out wires and swapping them over.

I realised that the RF output on the VCR doesnt work. The TV doesn’t pick up any signal from it.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this can be? A google search was no help.

Thank you
Old 19th May 2019, 8:11 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: No RF output

I doubt if it has an RF modulator therefore only suitable for a TV with a scart socket.J.
Old 19th May 2019, 8:14 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: No RF output

It does say on it "RF out" but it does have 2 scart sockets, in and out, so you could be right. I never gave that much thought

Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 8:48 pm   #4
Station X

Default Re: VCR. No RF output.

Most VCR's with an RF output that I've come across have a means of setting the channel number and generating a simple test pattern.

Check this. Your VCR and TV need to be tuned to the same channel.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th May 2019, 9:17 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Some models of VCR had a small slide switch on the rear which switched on the test bar pattern mentioned by Graham. (Just playing a tape seemed to work almost as well)

The problem could be down to the way a more modern TV functions, and the bewildering multitude of settings on the menu. Moderns are also annoyingly prone to the screen shutting down when an imperfect signal is received, rather than showing snow and white noise.

Dave
Old 19th May 2019, 9:36 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

I have just been trying different things with the VCR with no luck. The TV I'm using isn't a modern one, but a 70s RF only set, so the TV shouldn't be an issue.

My VCR doesn't have the switch, it might have a control on the remote (Which I don't have, but I have a channel selector on the front of the VCR)

I'm not sure what's going on with it.

Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 1:44 am   #7
Spec-chum
Tetrode

Hi.

I have a Funai vcr/dvd recorder combi which I brought new in 2006, and it does not have RF output also. It's not a fault, but by design. I remember this was mentioned in the first couple of pages in the owners manual. It's a similar idea with many digital freeview boxes, they don't have RF out either.

Steve.
Old 20th May 2019, 6:09 am   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

Some VCRs had an RF output which could be switched on or off, and the output channel selected, using the front panel controls. This was usually entered by holding down a front panel button while switching on; the channel or OFF was then displayed in the clock window.

Might be worth a search on the 'Net, or just some experimentation .....
Old 20th May 2019, 7:30 am   #9
paulsherwin

Later VCRs control the modulator from the firmware using the remote control. It's possible a previous owner has just turned it off. You may be able to control it with a cheap universal remote from somewhere like Poundland.

However, as Steve says in #7, some of the late models deleted the modulator altogether as a cost cutting measure.
Old 20th May 2019, 7:36 am   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Most VCRs (and other video equipment) will have an "RF out" socket, but I think this may simply be a "pass through" of the "RF in" rather indicating that the VCR can output its own signal this way.
Old 20th May 2019, 9:42 am   #11
ben
Dekatron

VCR model number?
Old 20th May 2019, 12:11 pm   #12
kan_turk
Hexode

Some late model VCRs, while having an RF modulator, had a facility for turning it off via an on-screen menu and the remote control as well as setting channel etc
Old 20th May 2019, 2:55 pm   #13
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-chum View Post
I have a Funai vcr/dvd recorder combi which I brought new in 2006, and it does not have RF output also. It's not a fault, but by design. I remember this was mentioned in the first couple of pages in the owners manual. It's a similar idea with many digital freeview boxes, they don't have RF out either.
Hi,

You may have the same as mine, as it's a 2006 model, too. DBVR 6510 (That also answers Bens question)

If it's not a fault then I can try what Julie suggested, with the front controls, and if that doesn't work, i'll try Paul's idea with a cheap universal remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Most VCRs (and other video equipment) will have an "RF out" socket, but I think this may simply be a "pass through" of the "RF in" rather indicating that the VCR can output its own signal this way.
That would make sense, as I plugged the RF out from my working VCR to the Funai's Aerial in, with the Funai's RF out feeding the TV. I was met with a verypoor quality picture, monochrome and very grainy. If the funai was on or off made no difference.

I'll give Julie's idea a test now, and if no luck, i'll go out and grab a universal remote control.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it!
Old 20th May 2019, 3:26 pm   #14
ben
Dekatron

More than likely it does not have a modulator, I think that was the case in many VCR combos. Can´t find a user manual.
I´d just pick up an older VCR, or a modulator off a playstation or Panasonic -JVC VHS-C Camcorder. Add a 5v PSU and you´re all set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rf unit jvc rfv3e.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	183467  
Old 20th May 2019, 4:08 pm   #15
19Seventy7
Octode

I did think that, after a while of trying things out I realised there was no modulator. I'll have a look round for a modulator like that. I was planning on trying to get a Multiview T35 some time soon-ish, so it's not a big issue.

Thank you
Old 20th May 2019, 11:05 pm   #16
Spec-chum
Tetrode

Yes that's right I found my owners manual of my model and it states on the rear panel/connections page, "this unit does not have an RF modulator". I have the model DRV-B2737.
Old 21st May 2019, 12:47 am   #17
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh thank you, that explains a lot then.

Thank you for your help everyone!
Closed Thread