UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2006, 11:11 am   #1
Rejectostat
Hexode

Default Sambrooke (Radiophile)

I see its a swapmeet at Sambrooke organised by The Radiophile this weekend. Has anyone been to this event? For instance, how many stalls are present (or how large in comparison to say a Harpenden meeting), is there an auction, are there any talks or demonstrations, anything else relevent. Thanks.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 11:17 am   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Sambrooke (Radiophile)

Hi,

I have been to a few summer specials, and there is an auction - circa 250 lots, and there are normally a dozen stalls selling various items (I wil be there with a stall to get shot of some stuff)

Normally you will be able to get valves, components, books and some service information.

Refreshments are available, and there are plenty of interesting people to natter to.

There is no formal lecture, as this is an entirely different arrangement to Harpenden - Harpenden is run by a society, whereas Radiophile events are run by a business.

Still, is worth attending - if the radio does not entertain sufficiently there is the wonderful Ironbridge Gorge just 20 minutes away - so plenty to keep SWMBO entertained......

Cheers
Sean
Old 21st Jul 2006, 11:31 am   #3
Rejectostat
Hexode

Hi Sean, are the auction lots known in advance, say like Wootton Bassett or is it whatever turns up on the day? I know it is difficult to generalise, but are we talking reasonable quality receivers or old chassis and bits'n'pieces? Thanks.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 12:21 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi
Normally there is no catalogue for this sale, but Chas has circulated one this time.

There are quite a few recievers as far as I know (My catalogue has been passed onto someone else to have a look threough), as well as other various items.

It is not as good as a proper auction, as the lots generally make lower prices at the summer events.

Cheers
Sean
Old 21st Jul 2006, 12:47 pm   #5
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Sean are there any Tvs sold at these auctions ? I have never gone to any as I rather suspected it was all radios for sale
Old 21st Jul 2006, 3:41 pm   #6
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

HI
Does anyone know the time the hall opens, and also the time of the auction starts?

Regards

ALAN
Old 21st Jul 2006, 5:12 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi Den,

Ok, Sometimes there are TVs for sale - I cannot say for sure if any are offered this time round though.

Opening times are normally 10am for the event, and the auction will normally kick off between 1 and 2 pm

Might be worth ringing Chas on 01785 284696 - please respect the time you call though......

Cheers
Sean
Old 21st Jul 2006, 5:35 pm   #8
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Sean many thanks for the info I will contact chas and see if there are going to be any tv sets TVden
Old 21st Jul 2006, 10:04 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You may be taking your life in your hands! Chas M has a strict 'calls in business hours only' policy. I've not been to Sambrook for a long time but the Summer Special often includes demos/period dress and/or vintage music-shades of Gerry Wells event. My current copy of The Radiophile doesn't mention this but the summer edition is probaly waiting for me in the north. Sambrook is a very nice place to visit anyway [especially in this sort of weather]. Dave
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 12:19 am   #10
Sean Williams
Dekatron

This policy is relaxed a little just prior to events - Nothing motivates the self-employed like the sound of crisp fivers

Cheers
Sean
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 4:57 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Ok Sean. I guess that Chas just likes to maintain standards which is why Radiphile events are so "old school" civilised and relatively comfortable. There are practical implications however eg it seems to take at least a 12 hour day on Saturday just to set things up at the hall. Wish I could go but it's a bit of a trek from the South Coast. No problem from Lancs. Dave
Old 25th Jul 2006, 3:47 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Replying to myself I'm just wondering if anyone did get to Sambrook and what they thought about it? Dave
Old 25th Jul 2006, 8:53 pm   #13
Rejectostat
Hexode

No. Although I started this thread I decided not to go in the end. Insufficient time to send for the catalogue, (and I have enough recent acquisitions to occupy me anyway!).
Old 25th Jul 2006, 9:16 pm   #14
Courtney Louise
Octode

Yes, I was there and it was an extremely hot enjoyable day. The auction had some good stuff but also a lot of junk too :/

Not too many traders, maybe eight in all so getting there too early was putting some people off stopping for the auction..

Andi
Old 25th Jul 2006, 9:20 pm   #15
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Andi were there any Televisions there TVDen
Old 25th Jul 2006, 11:06 pm   #16
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi Den,

There was a dual std fergie - based on the Thorn 1500 chassis?

I saw Graham Gosling leaving with that, and a couple of odd sets on another stall, but otherwise not much.....

Still, I shifted some stuff!, so thanks to those of you that made purchases.....

Cheers
Sean
Old 26th Jul 2006, 12:18 am   #17
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Yep, I went.

It is several years since I last bothered with Sambrook - that time I think there were only 2 or 3 stalls ! But _much_ better this time. Bought some useful odds-n-sods and met up with a few people. Still a lot of crud in the auction but mixed with some useful stuff (for example box of misc non-audio t’formers ... including TV43 frame o/p assy and TV22 blocking osc). Minor quibble, some lots were entered by the dealers way before I even got to look around the event and I was there within ½ hour of opening !. There were thus a few lots that I’d probably have paid the dealer for one single item that wa more than the lot finally fetched in the auction! ... but it was too nice a day to spend hours in an auction.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 26th Jul 2006, 12:34 am   #18
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Hi

I went to Sambrook and quite enjoyed myself. Generally prices were low, the only reason that alot didnt sell for £1 was that the auction had a minimum bid of £2.

The only TV's in the auction were a non working Sony 21" colour set, with remote that looked very nice. It didnt sell. The other was a 20" Ferguson with a 4 position mechanical tuner. It was fitted with the Thorn 1500 single standard (625line) chasis.

As usual I purchased one radio, a bakerlite Ferguson AM/FM set with a magic eye for a fiver, a G-B Bell & Howell loudspeaker for £3, and the 630 magentic record and play and optical sound projector for £2. I also came away with a Prinzsound Super8-8 projector and boxes of spares.

A good day out. I hope to go to the next auction in Shifnal in September.

Regards

ALAN
Old 26th Jul 2006, 6:42 am   #19
John M0GLN
Octode

Hi

I went as well, combined it with a overnight stay in Ironbridge, very enjoyable, I arrived just after 10, had a good look around and bought a 1935 Marconi 238 from a stall which had quite a few nice old sets, seemed quite a lot of stuff in the auction which I did'nt stay for, my wife bought plants, books, gooseberries and red currants from one ladies stall, so she was quite happy as well, made the purchase of another wireless a little easier.

John
Old 26th Jul 2006, 8:00 am   #20
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

well its looks like I did not miss to much on the TV front but you never know what will turn up on the day, but I would have still liked to have gone as it sounds like it was a nice day out TVDen
Closed Thread