UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2017, 3:34 pm   #1
Ian McKenzie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig Satellit 1400 back light

Hi there just got a Grundig Satellit 1400 , which is perfect other than the back light is out.not being very technical , how easy is it to take apart and replace the bulb ?

thanks Ian
Old 20th Jan 2017, 8:16 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig Satellit 1400 back light

If it is the 1400SL, First try working the BATT / Light switch, may be tarnished connection. Are you using it on mains or battery?

John.
Old 21st Jan 2017, 10:29 am   #3
Ian McKenzie
Retired Dormant Member

hi there ive cleaned switch with switch cleaner still nothing , am running on mains

thanks Ian
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 8:57 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I also run my set from the mains and the back light is always on, I am unable to operate the light switch as I am awaiting a new lever, I think it works a bit different when using batteries. If the bulbs are fused you will need a soldering iron, and test meter. To dismantle from memory, pull the round knobs off the front leaving the levers in place, remove three screws from bottom to the remove back, Take care, the aerial wire is short and needs unclipping, pull out the 5? pin plug from the mains transformer, The whole chassis should then lift out after releasing ALL 4 clips at the same time, Clips are marked on the under side of the set, be aware the speaker wires are very short. I think that is all but watch out for extra screws if chassis seems reluctant to move.

Good luck with it, John.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 10:03 am   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I forgot to say, after removing the knobs most have a nut under them. Also set the BFO / SSB knob to 0 and try not to move it during repair is not a pot but a rack & pinion gearing and can get out of timing, guess how I know.

John.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 5:20 pm   #6
Ian McKenzie
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks very much John, I'll strip it at weekend.

Thanks, Ian
Closed Thread