UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2006, 4:26 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default OA70 diode equivalents ?

The OA70 inside one of the IFT's of my Bush TR82 is open circuit. Are there any other diodes that I could sub it for?

Thanks
David
Old 15th Oct 2006, 4:51 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: OA70 diode equivalents ?

Hi David

An OA91 would do fine if you have one, the important thing is it must be a germanium type, silicon won't do due to the relatively high forward voltage drop.

You could try using the emitter-base junction of an old small-signal germanium transistor.
Old 15th Oct 2006, 4:57 pm   #3
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Hi Dave, The OA70 is listed as a video detector diode, Perhaps Bush had large stocks of them. I think almost any germanium diode would be fine as an AM detector, Try OA79, OA81, OA90, or OA91.

Regards, Mick.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th Dec 2007 at 2:13 am. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 15th Oct 2006, 6:50 pm   #4
paulsherwin

You will find at least one suitable detector diode in any scrap trannie. As Colin says, most base-emitter junctions of germanium transistors should work too.

A silicon Schottky diode should also work, though I've never actually tried one.

Paul
Old 15th Oct 2006, 7:08 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
The OA70 inside one of the IFT's of my Bush TR82 is open circuit. Are there any other diodes that I could sub it for?
I've had this same problem a couple of years ago in one of the TR82's I repaired for Howard. I used an OA91 with no problems. Almost any Germanium diode will work in this position as long as it will physically fit...even a good old GEX34!

Rich.