UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2009, 12:07 pm   #61
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Gould 1604 waveform processor help..

Hello Stan,

Thanks for the components list. I will check, as you advise.

Can you take a look at the main PCB layout and tell me which resistor is next to R10, please?

Both of these resistors are next to a large IC near the back of the scope, component ref. U1 (type MC68B09P).

Many thanks,

Dazzlevision
Old 10th Nov 2009, 3:05 pm   #62
Electrical
Hexode

Default Re: Gould 1604 waveform processor help..

Hello Dazzelvision
Please find attached a PDF of figure 6.24 Main Board Component Placement. To the right of U1 there are two resistors R10 and R11 with C69 below, the drawing is not too clear. The value of R11 is 10k 5% location C9 that appears to be correct according to the component list.
Regards Stan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P118.pdf (183.0 KB, 323 views)
Old 27th Jan 2014, 3:27 pm   #63
scirturbo
Triode

Default DIY Gould waveform proc. keypad

This is a small update from 5 years ago about the Gould 1600 scope see https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=46501

Sometimes , if you are lucky, there is a pod on the back called "memory interface" etc. with a 4 pin modulair connector. This option adds a lot of functions to the scope. Look for the brochure in the thread above for details.

However it'll be useless if you don't have the keypad to control the pod. Trying to find one of these keypads is impossible. So I had to know what the original keypad was all about.
Stan was so kind to upload the manual of it which also contained a schematic diagram.
The keypad is basically a collection of keys, a matrix decoder chip and a uart chip. The matrix decoder chip creates a hex number which is send by the uart chip to the pod. From the datatsheets of the two chips I could decipher what hex numbers were send for every key press at what baudrate (600).

Once I had all this information it was a small step to copy the decoder and uart function with a microcontroller. I wrote a small assembler program that scans the keys and outputs a hex number to the pod. I then layed out and made a pcb with all the 56 keys and programmed microcontroller and placed it in a old plastic box. Power +5V comes from the pod. After a little tweaking of the program it all works perfectly.

My original pod is a 160 but it has the same hardware as the 260. The 260 has even more functions so I wondered if I could exchange the 160 eprom for a 260 eprom. Stan, again was so kind to dump his 260 eprom. I burned the 260 dump into a eprom and voila it worked.

End of story, if you really want to make use of that pod on the back then you have to build it yourself. If anyone is interested I can supply the firmware of the microcontroller (ATmega16) and hex dump of the 260 eprom free of charge.

Attached are some pictures of the original keypad and the one I build. After five years it's little worn but still works great.

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keyp260_org.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	88321   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0346.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	88322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keypad_as_built.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	88323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keypad_inside.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	88324   Click image for larger version

Name:	M5110017.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	88325  

Last edited by AC/HL; 27th Jan 2014 at 6:46 pm. Reason: Merged with original thread
Old 28th Jan 2014, 11:02 am   #64
Electrical
Hexode

Default Re: Gould 1604 waveform processor

Hello Simon
It is interesting to see the pictures of your finished keypad interface and I am pleased you managed to stitch the 260 EPROM files together. It looks very well put together with wider spacing between the buttons, which in the case of my fingers always helps.
The 260 pod has a lot more functions than the basic 160 and I must admit it is nice to be able to operate the scope using the keypad next to where you are working.
Thanks for sharing the pictures of the finished unit and I hope other forum members will find the project interesting.

Regards Stan.
Old 8th Feb 2014, 1:48 pm   #65
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Gould 1604 waveform processor

Hi!

Thank you very much, Members Dazzlevision, Simon and Valveman49 for this interesting and useful post - I'm hoping to get a 1604 and a 4072 (spares or repair of course!!!) as soon as I can afford them, and it's nice to have all the documentation laid in first!

A longer-term project will be to produce new PCB design files for these units, I have heard a great many of them get written-off due to internal battery corrosion, so as soon as I can get hold of a 1604 and 4072 I'll be starting work on the project!

Please could I have a copy of the dumps/firmware for the keypad when you've a bit of time spare?

Chris Williams
Closed Thread