UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 27th Nov 2023, 9:46 am   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Veroboard; anyone put components on the copper side?

I have a love-hate relationship with Veroboard. I plan my layouts using a template in Freelance (Power Point), but things never seem to go quite to plan

An idea I've had, but never tried, is to put the components on the copper side of the board, so that all components and connections can be seen at a glance.

Has one one else tried or adopted this approach?

B
Old 27th Nov 2023, 10:27 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Veroboard; anyone put components on the copper side

No, but no reason why not.

I still plan mine on squared paper, giving each hole a reference e.g. C6. I then use a thin permanent pen to mark each component's hole on the board itself. I use a different colour to mark where the track has to be broken.

I make a selection of tinned copped wire links beforehand, (0.1", 0.2", 0.3", 0.4" etc.) using bits of board of different widths as a template.

What I find trickiest is getting nice, neat breaks in the track, especially on "cheap" boards where the holes and copper track aren't always perfectly aligned.
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2023, 10:45 am   #3
Philips210
Nonode

I can't say I've ever mounted the components on the track side but as Nick mentions there's no reason why not. Maybe the tracks will be more liable to lift if you need to remove a component.

I've successfully used the VeeCAD software for planning layouts. It's a good package and offers auto routing which I haven't yet tried. The original software was free but you had to pay a small fee for the colour upgrade which also allowed for larger board layouts. I purchased the licence some time back. It's now available for free. https://veecad.com/

Regards,
Symon
Philips210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2023, 2:10 pm   #4
Chrispy57
Hexode

Hi Baz,
I decided to try this method recently, mainly to allow three banks of bar-graph type LEDs to protrude through the front panel for a 555/4017 based exercise timer project. Note to self - never again!

Things became quite fiddly as the board was increasingly populated, as illustrated in the photo sequence. Finding a "way in" for the soldering iron to solder wires from the copper side was tricky, and often I had to go through from the copper side then back up from behind the board into an adjacent hole then solder from the copper side.

A fairly simple project with a few widely spaced components and traditional continuous copper track, rather than individual pads, as here, may be more satisfactory if that's what you have in mind?

Cheers
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED side 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	288862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Track side 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	288863   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCB Case.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	288864  
Chrispy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2023, 2:50 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

IMHO the best way to use that board with isolated square pads is to solder 'wire-wrap' DIL sockets to it, then use Verowire/Veropens and their associated comb things to do the inter-pad wiring.

Passive components can be soldered to the little 'header' modules that plug into DIL sockets; these are great because you can unplug an individual module from the board to do the work, rather than struggling to work with a big chunk of board [and invariably dropping solder-splashes on it...]

The DIL header-modules are also great when it comes to building things like diode-matrices; I've got a CTCSS encoder here where each CTCSS tone is programmed by a separate header-module, so it's easy to swap.
Old 27th Nov 2023, 3:01 pm   #6
Chrispy57
Hexode

Hi - thanks for that insight, but could you clarify which side of the board you would use with that method? I have used this type of board in previous projects, but from the "proper" side, and was quite happy with it.

Cheers
Chris
Old 27th Nov 2023, 3:18 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

You can use either side; the DIL sockets go on one side, the Verowire is on the reverse, attached to the protruding pins of the wire-wrap sockets.
Old 27th Nov 2023, 4:48 pm   #8
Chrispy57
Hexode

OK, thanks for clarifying that point, but it wouldn't address the essential point of Baz's original post - "put the components on the copper side of the board, so that all components and connections can be seen at a glance."

Cheers
Chris
Old 27th Nov 2023, 5:50 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Veroboard; anyone put components on the copper side?

I do put components on the track side of vero / stripboard, but for the specific reason that I have better access to SMD components than to through hole components - so where possible I will solder SMD components between adjacent tracks or across track cuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PiZero_MK14_PRG_2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	288879  
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2023, 6:00 pm   #10
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Does anyone else remember 'Blob Boards'?

These were undrilled PCBs with tinned copper tracks in the same arragement as the SDec, TDec and UDec breadboards. The idea was that you designed the circuit on the breadboard and then moved the bits on a Blob Board. You did, indeed, put the components on the track side.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2023, 6:22 pm   #11
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

It is not quite the same as Veroboard, but there is a kind of equivalent of putting components on the reverse side (and I seriously like the way of using SM parts there!) of dead bug.

One of the masters of this was the late great Jim Williams, for example https://www.analog.com/media/en/tech...tes/an120f.pdf

Craig
Old 27th Nov 2023, 8:02 pm   #12
Mark1960
Octode

Its sometimes better to use double sided, one hole per pad, proto boards if you need to mount components from both sides of the board. It does make it a lot harder to remove components.

I find it easier to link the pads I want connected rather than cutting tracks.

I have started using copper tape to add ground and 5v grid on opposite sides of the proto board. For double sided proto board this means putting kapton tape on one side under the copper tape.

For surface mount parts there is also 1.27mm pitch one hole per pad, but I have only found the double sided type.

Point to point wiring is easier with 30awg wire wrap wire. Normally passed from top side through a hole then soldered direct to the IC socket pin, half turn round the pin to keep it in place until soldered. Then two wires can pass through the same 1mm hole.
Mark1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2023, 8:35 pm   #13
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I do put components on the track side of vero / stripboard, but for the specific reason that I have better access to SMD components than to through hole components - so where possible I will solder SMD components between adjacent tracks or across track cuts.

I use this method for making a prototype. When space is at a premium I cut the tracks length wise with a Dremel.

John.
Old 28th Nov 2023, 6:45 am   #14
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thanks for the replies. I had not considered the component removal question; but I think I'd leave 2-3mm of lead under every component which should make soldering easier and allow cutting with side cutters.

Thanks to Symon for the comment on Veecad; I'll check that out .

B
Old 29th Nov 2023, 1:08 am   #15
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
that is quite impressive and neat G
Old 29th Nov 2023, 1:15 am   #16
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Does anyone else remember 'Blob Boards'?

These were undrilled PCBs with tinned copper tracks in the same arragement as the SDec, TDec and UDec breadboards. The idea was that you designed the circuit on the breadboard and then moved the bits on a Blob Board. You did, indeed, put the components on the track side.
I do remember those Tony, I did have at various times all of the SDec, TDec and UDec breadboards, books by Tom Duncan promoted these quite heavily at the time, it is where I started learning electronics by doing electronics