UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Old 24th Nov 2023, 12:46 pm   #1
Sparks
Heptode

Default 745 Weatherproof telephone

I own a later example of this phone, late as in having a pushbutton dial but still pulse dialling. If I ever wanted to convert it to DTMF, how would I do it, assuming I didn't want to fit a Gizmo thing ? Would it be possible to change a board or component or two ?

FWIW, this is unlikely to happen as I've had the phone for twenty years and I've never got round to installing it anywhere. It still worked the last time I checked.

Thankyou.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2023, 1:21 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 745 Weatherproof telephone

No, I would think you would need to add a converter.

The early BT/GPO phones pushbutton were generally LD and not adaptable.

Someone might know better though...
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2023, 1:22 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Edit...

Bob says:

Quote:
Telephone No. 745P was introduced and could be fitted with press button units for LD or MF signalling. This variant was later renamed the Telephone No. 6744 (MF) and the Telephone No. 6745 (LD)
https://www.britishtelephones.com/t745.htm
https://www.britishtelephones.com/t6744.htm
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2023, 2:14 pm   #4
Sparks
Heptode

Thanks Nick.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2023, 3:03 am   #5
WayneL74
Triode

Hi Sparks & others

For anyone interested yes this can be done, but is quite involved.

I have a 6745 "late" model as described in Bob's article. Despite the claims, the keypad on this one partially failed. This would have been fixable if it was the original board & keypad, but the "late" ones have the whole PCB & half the keypad encased in potting compund - meaning you can't get to anything to clean or replace.

What I did therefore was transplant the keypad & DTMF circuit I had in a 746-style phone to this one. The donor phone was a rather odd - it was wall mounted upside down (at bit like the early 706s) and designated "STC Telephone 4023". It also had a sounder instead of normal bells.

Anyway if anyone wants any details I will did them out.

Regards,

Wayne
WayneL74 is offline   Reply With Quote