UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 9:31 pm   #1
Robert.H
Retired Dormant Member

Default GPO Telephone 706

welcome just hope I have come into the right group.
I have a many 706 GPO telephones , but one stands out from all the others.
as this phone has a metal dialler mark1 706 black. maybe around 1958.from when this design started using the old dialler. can any one in a this profession tell me is this correct. also have engineers hand book c) not sure the value.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 1:13 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: GPO Telephone 706

The early issued Tele 706's in 1959 had Dial No 13's and all had a grey fabric covered cord known as a 'Grebe' cord (similar to that on a one piece operators 'Headset No 1' introduced in 1959). The grey cord was fitted to phones of any colour. I remember seeing the first Tele 706 to arrive in the Chester Telephone Area being unwrapped in the Fitters Room in late 1959. See attached from article in GPO Telecommunications Magazine in early 1959. The metal No 13 dial was soon replaced with the Dial No 21 with the coloured plastic finger to match the colour of the telephone. And the handset cord was changed to the coiled extensible one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Tele706.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	160424  
Closed Thread