UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2020, 12:56 pm   #1
DigitalNoMore
Pentode

Default The Texan Amplifier

Split from this thread

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=173687

Cheers

Mike T

I remember building a Texan from a kit back in the 70s.
It used power darlingtons for the output transistors and 741 op-amps in the preamp.

The sound quality was noticeably better after upgrading the op-amps I seem to remember.

Pity it ended up at the local tip years ago!

Jerry
Old 30th Nov 2020, 3:05 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Texan amplifier.

TIP31/41 aren't Darlingtons, although the output stage, unusually, has voltage gain. The designer stretched to 748s in two slots, if memory serves. Remembered fondly!
Old 30th Nov 2020, 3:34 pm   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNoMore View Post

Pity it ended up at the local tip years ago!

Jerry
Story of our lives, really!

Mike
Old 30th Nov 2020, 4:14 pm   #4
Kala_12
Hexode

I remember building one of those back in the day. I remember the sound was bit 'weedy' even when driving 12" speakers with midax horns.
One of the channels died (it didn't take any of the speakers with it). I never did get it working again and like Jerry's, mine ended up at the tip.
For anyone interested, it was PW May 1972 (onwards). https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Pra...PW-1972-05.pdf
Stuart.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 4:18 pm   #5
Keith956
Heptode

I built one from a kit in the 1970's. Worked OK until I sold it to a friend and within a week the output transistors blew. I replaced them FOC but then after a few months they blew again! Surprisingly we still remained friends
Old 1st Dec 2020, 5:28 pm   #6
DigitalNoMore
Pentode

Seems my memory let me down!

It was a PE Orion I had which used BD699, BD700 power darlingtons in the output stage.

Jerry
Old 1st Dec 2020, 6:09 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Mr Mann worked for Texas Instruments, so the Texan was a bit of a showcase for their transistors and opamps.

The article came out while I was doing my BSc, and lots of people bought kits. On top of all the bad joints and parts in the wrong places, there was the issue of students winding them up full and trying to run them for hours at parties. I wound up fixing an awful lot of them, and I've been left feeling they're a bit fragile.

David
Old 1st Dec 2020, 7:00 pm   #8
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Thank you! That really brings back memories of me assembling that on the floor of the Bursars House in RG4 8TZ! Happy days...

I think my brother acquired it eventually and God knows what happened to it after that.
Old 1st Dec 2020, 7:19 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

I upgraded mine with the later toroidal transformer (much better bass) and 1456 ICs to replace the industrial 741s. I had the original Henry's Radio cardboard box in which the transformer was shipped to me until a few months ago.

There was a virtual production line of the metal cabinet work going on in the metal shop at Thorn as 90% of the components were available 'free' from the company. Only today I dug out my much modified Texan to look for a particular switch.
Old 1st Dec 2020, 7:31 pm   #10
Trevor
Octode

Yes they were a classic used sensibly quite nice not a disco amp agreed
I used to repair quite a few back in the day
A design exercise rather than a design classic but on reflection no worse than a lot of budget offerings of its time
Trev
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 12:06 pm   #11
ajs37
Heptode

Having built one in the '70s (can't remember what happened to it), I've now got one on my todo list - only problem has been sourcing replacements for 741s (not that I've tried too hard yet!!). If I remember correctly the output Trannies are suspect as well!
Cheers
Andy
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 4:15 pm   #12
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Mann's original assessment of the adequacy of the heatsinking was that the prototype ran barely warm in the lab on "a moderately deafening output of Simon and Garfunkel". A frend built one and blew it a couple of times, eventually beefing it up with TIP41/42s and better heatsinks, in which form it ran well for some time. Never had any problems with mine, once Dad had sorted out my goofs - perhaps I was lucky, or my speakers were more efficient..
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 4:33 pm   #13
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs37 View Post
Having built one in the '70s (can't remember what happened to it), I've now got one on my todo list - only problem has been sourcing replacements for 741s (not that I've tried too hard yet!!). If I remember correctly the output Trannies are suspect as well!
Cheers
Andy
Unless you're determined to go original, there are much better drop in replacements for 741s that are audio friendly.
Old 5th Dec 2020, 12:29 am   #14
MeerKat
Hexode

Default Re: The Texan Amplifier

I built one from a kit back in the day as well, at first switch on a couple of the op amps ran hot and the output was mono, I found the outputs of two opposite channel op amps shorted due to to a copper track bridge, a sharp knife sorted that.

My brother killed a set of output transistors by too much volume, a heatsink was fitted to stop that happening again. It used to suffer from switching thumps whenever any switch in the house was operated, the mod that came out to stop that worked well.

I still have it, I would like to get a set of pots for it, the originals are getting scratchy now.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Last edited by MeerKat; 5th Dec 2020 at 12:30 am. Reason: Clarity
Old 5th Dec 2020, 1:02 pm   #15
Trevor
Octode

Yes I found that any amp fitted with 741,s was prone to switching noise
The texan was an early inroad for a lot of DIY enthusiast's
It felt modern and showed many an amatuer the way forward re electronics
Trev
Old 5th Dec 2020, 1:04 pm   #16
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yep. Built a few audio filters with 741's. They're ok if you like your music in a room full of hissing snakes .

Definitely better opamps out there to use...
Old 5th Dec 2020, 2:24 pm   #17
Radio Wrangler

The 741 is quite noisy.

The 741 is also running out of gain before the top end of the audible spectrum and consequently feedback is having reduced effect at controlling distortion and determining input and output impedances.

They were used in all sorts of things back in the day. They were OK in low gain stages with big enough signal voltages, so you'll come across tales of them in mixing desks not being too bad.

The primary design intent was as a sales promotion for Texas Instrument's semiconductors, and it served its purpose well.

There are plenty of newer devices that will yield improvements which ought to be audible. Even the contemporary LM301A with the advantage of its external compensation can out-perform the 741 in this sort of application.

David
Old 5th Dec 2020, 2:43 pm   #18
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The 741 has its place in history largely through being the first op-amp which was reasonably robust and stable. True, the compensation was of the "bind, gag and set in treacle" variety, but compared to the 709 which preceded it, the thing was a least of some use. The 748 needed external compensation which could of course be tailored to the applcation, as it was in the Texan.
Old 6th Dec 2020, 11:25 am   #19
Trevor
Octode

I can remember paying about £5 for a 741 from RS back in the day really new tech back then ! I did a few experiments with it before it was damaged never thought they would catch on!
As for the 709 a nice sounding op amp much better than the 741
Dual amplifiers used the 709 and they sounded nice
Trev
Closed Thread