UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2010, 11:25 pm   #21
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Which 1950s VHF radio to go for ???

As a novice I would head for a Bush VHF64. I'm not a great fan of anything later than early 50s but this one does have a something good looking about it and is very easy to work with. If lucky you can get one at a boot sale for a fiver or so.
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 11:29 pm   #22
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Ian

I recommend the Hacker Mayflower II for the following reasons:

1) It's a 'modern' valve set but still employs a proper metal chassis.
2) Because it's 'modern' it uses easily available parts and valves including the magic eye. Try getting an EM34 at a sensible price!
3) It's very straightforward to work on with a very conventional but well designed circuit.
4) Once restored it works very well and can be used as an everyday radio. I know that for a fact because I use one on that basis.
5) The tuning goes up to 104MHz. The Fenmen only go up to 100MHz.
6) There's lots of them about and they can be bought cheaply.
7) It looks modern so will fit in with contemporary furnishings.
8) It uses a push-pull output stage. The Fenman I does not.
9) It has an effective AFC.

The downsides are:

1) It's a 1960s radio and you specified a 1950s set. However this could be seen as an advantage because by that time FM was well established as a transmitting medium.
2) That cabinets were made of poor materials and suffer badly if exposed to damp. The plywood de-laminates very readily. However, it is very easy to make a new cabinet for the Mayflower II. The Fenman I less easily.
3) The speaker is one large one and is a bit bassy. This is easily cured by making up a new baffle board and fitting two modern 8ohm speakers in series; one bass unit and one with the tweeters fitted.

HTH

TimR
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 12:00 am   #23
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Hello.

Bush VHF54 good sound .
Regards Kev.
Closed Thread