UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2007, 5:40 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default 1960 Dynatron remote control system.

I've been reading through the pages of the 1960/61 Newnes radio and television servicing book.

On page 23 of, "Developments in Television Recevers" there is an article about the Dynatron TV remote control system.
The Dynatron three button remote control uses a handset that produces supersonic waves of 37, 40 and 43Kc/s to provide control of volume up and down and a channel stepping arrangement for the turret tuner.

At the receiver there was a three channel amplifier to operate the relays, two control a motorised volume control and the other operates the turret tuner.

The main television chassis will have been made by Ekco and it is likely that the same firm developed the remote control system.

Has any Forum member got any information of this remote control system?

DFWB.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:42 am   #2
Cformat
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: 1960 Dynatron remote control system.

Hi, Just found this interesting site.

My goodness this takes me back! I had one of these systems when I was a lot younger than I am now. Someone like Henrys Radio were selling the two function version for I think about £4. It seems that this remote control was also a retrofit option, which came nicely packed in a large cardboard box with fitting instructions.

The L shaped open ultrasonic receiver chassis had three or four valves and was connected to the TV chassis via a multiway cable and octal plug. The microphone / transducer was a ceramic disk mounted in a metal can and its screened lead plugged into the receiver chassis with a phono plug. The handset was a box about 4 x 3 x 1 Inches, and was made of grey plastic with a mesh grill at one end. The top surface was a gold coloured light alloy casting with an inlaid Dynatron logo and button label plate. The bottom surface could be slotted to a stowage clip. The push buttons were grey plastic oblongs protruding through the alloy casting. I have an idea that this type of TV remote control was fairly common in the USA at the time, and was probably made there.

The most intriguing thing was the handset which did not use batteries or electronics but generated the ultra-sonic signals mechanically. When you pressed the buttons they pulled back little hammers that ‘pinged’ against the ends of little Aluminium rods. These nicely machined rods were mounted in parallel (2 in my unit) and about ¼ Inch dia and about 2 Inches long, and were held at their middle points by wire springs locating in slots cut into the sides of the rods. The simple trigger mechanism and the rod suspension were screwed to the metal casting.

Obviously the rods were cut to resonate at the correct frequencies, and the whole system worked reasonably reliably from across the room. I put my system in a wooden box with a mains supply and used it to turn various things on and off much to the amusement of my friends. There was however a problem in that the system was sensitive to other transient high frequency audio signals. Shaking a bunch of keys could also make the relays work, and I suppose that this together with the probable high original cost of the system killed it off. Also the ceramic microphone / transducer was also sensitive to moisture, and this killed my own unit. The three channel version worked in a similar way with an extra rod and trigger mechanism.

Hope this is of some use.
Old 28th May 2007, 9:04 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: 1960 Dynatron remote control system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cformat View Post
I have an idea that this type of TV remote control was fairly common in the USA at the time, and was probably made there.
Hi cformat. Welcome to the Forum.
The Dynatron remote control handset could well have been imported from the USA.
The earliest multi function remote control system I can find was used in the later versions of the RCA CTC7 colour TV receivers of 1958/9.

The Dynatron three function system must have been the first of it's type to be made in the UK.
Some Murphy Astra sets employed a remote control which controlled channel changing and volume control.

DFWB.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 28th May 2007 at 9:28 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 28th May 2007, 9:23 pm   #4
Focus Diode
Octode

I take it to be ultrasonic remote control rather than the wired type? Never knew it was around as early as that! It was common in the '70s of course. There was one foreign upmarket make, can't recall the make, in which all the main user controls were motorised. As late as 1990 I remember a "midi system" in which operating its remote would make the actual volume control turn up and down, Pioneer I think...

Cheers,
Brian
Old 28th May 2007, 9:48 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hello Brian,
The remote control system used in the RCA CTC7 set is of the ultrasonic type. The remote control handset type CRK1A employs a single 2N408 transistor to generate signals from 35.5Kc/s to 43.25Kc/s.
The handset has fourteen buttons.

As for the Dynatron system. It would be really interesting to see the circuit.
There is nothing in the Newnes R & T servicing books except for the mention of it in "Developments in TV Receivers".

DFWB.
Old 29th May 2007, 12:14 pm   #6
Studio263
Octode

The 70's television with motorised remote control was a Saba, they were fond of this sort of thing and used a similar system in their music centres.

Ultrasonic remote control, motors and magnetic clutches are all combined here for your pleasure:

www.beocentral.com/products/bm6000-1

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 4th Mar 2008 at 8:46 am. Reason: Removed OT stuff
Old 29th May 2007, 8:03 pm   #7
batterymaker1
Heptode

That remote control sure sounds like a Zenith Space Command.
Old 29th May 2007, 9:12 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterymaker1 View Post
That remote control sure sounds like a Zenith Space Command.
Zenith was the pioneer of cordless remote control systems.

http://zenith.com/sub_about/about_remote.html

DFWB.
Closed Thread