UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2013, 12:45 pm   #1
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Coronation Broadcast

I know that it has been repeated before but, in case you haven't seen it or your 'copy' is on VHS or Beta, The BBC Parliament Channel (FreeView 81) is re-running the whole thing on Sunday 2nd June. Sylvia Peters will be commencing proceedings at 10:10 hrs Sunday morning.
Old 29th May 2013, 1:38 pm   #2

Default Re: Coronation Broadcast

And, as far as I know, the telecine recording only used every other frame (or field, I always get those confused, has anyone a simpe way of remembering which is wich?) so it is a 200 line picture, still looks good.

Old 29th May 2013, 2:26 pm   #3
Nicklyons2
Octode

The BBC made, as far as my info goes, more than one Telerecording at the time; one was 'full spec' both fields but they hadn't enough of this equipment to make all recordings on this type of equipment. The 'art' of Telerecording was still being developed & there were experiments with various rapid pull-down cameras or mirror drum machines and, as mentioned above, alternate field which allowed the use of a more conventional camera (slower pull down) in front of a monitor screen - the picture on the monitor having spot-wobble applied to blur out the obvious line structure.

The 2fields recording was kept for the archive and the intermittent field and other pressed into service equipment's recordings were used for news bulletin insert material and sent by RAF jet to the US & Canada for inclusion in their news bulletins and special programmes.

I am told by those in the know that the best way to tell which recording you are watching is to look at Her Majesty in the mid-shot and watch for the eyes appearing and disappearing because in that size of shot they were around 1 line high and, if you are watching the intermittent field recording, sometimes the eyes were on the missing field's line.
Old 29th May 2013, 6:23 pm   #4
Colin_B
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
frame (or field, I always get those confused, has anyone a simpe way of remembering which is wich?)
Think of the picture of your loved one that sits on your desk, or is nailed to the wall, and upon which you lovingly gaze!

The FRAME contains the COMPLETE picture.

Likewise, a TV frame is the whole picture (at 25 per second, UK) and comprises 2 interlaced fields; odd and even lines (at 50 per second).
Old 30th May 2013, 11:28 am   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I will be recording this on a PVR I use just for vintage programmes, there will be great satisfaction in watching this on my TV24, the set was one of the many bought for this very occasion back in 1953.

Mark
Old 30th May 2013, 12:16 pm   #6
KeithsTV
Nonode

I'll also be recording it and watching on a TV22 bought to watch the Coronation live.

Keith
Old 30th May 2013, 7:21 pm   #7
ntscuser
Hexode

I'm sure many people bought a TV especially to watch the Coronation only to find themselves stuck with a BBC-only set when ITV came along.
Old 30th May 2013, 7:52 pm   #8

Quote:
The FRAME contains the COMPLETE picture.
I will try to remember, thanks.

Old 30th May 2013, 8:27 pm   #9
bobsterkent
Hexode

I'll make sure I record it to watch on the TV12 as well!
Old 30th May 2013, 9:28 pm   #10
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I'm sure many people bought a TV especially to watch the Coronation only to find themselves stuck with a BBC-only set when ITV came along.
My TV24 was also one of many retrofitted with a Bush band 3 converter when ITV launched in 1955, the set would only have been two years old at the time.

My TV22 however, was never fitted with one, it will be the set that I will be watching on Sunday.

Mark
Old 31st May 2013, 10:13 am   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

There is also another programme about the Coronation called 'The People's Coronation' going out on BBC1 on Sunday. I was involved with the vintage television receivers at Gerry's museum with Sir David Dimbleby. A Bush TV12A and a TV22 are featured. It should be a good view. Regards, John.
Old 31st May 2013, 7:48 pm   #12

Quote:
There is also another programme about the Coronation called 'The People's Coronation' going out on BBC1 on Sunday.
When? I have looked but can't find it.

Old 31st May 2013, 8:04 pm   #13
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have checked the BBC website, but it is not there, it was last shown in 2010.

Mark
Old 31st May 2013, 8:38 pm   #14
bobsterkent
Hexode

I think it's Monday at 9 PM.
Old 31st May 2013, 9:36 pm   #15
Nicklyons2
Octode

Monday 3rd at 21:00 hrs it is with a repeat Sunday 9th at 15:25 hrs.
Old 31st May 2013, 9:41 pm   #16
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sometimes, we are grateful for repeats!
Old 1st Jun 2013, 7:19 am   #17
bobsterkent
Hexode

This Sunday the coronation film they are showing is also significant in that they have restored the original film to make it cleaner than anything seen since the actual coronation. See this item on BBC news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22728776
Old 1st Jun 2013, 7:46 am   #18
Panrock
Nonode

Let's hope they haven't also added black bars either side to make it 16:9.

And if the 'original 405-line structure' is indeed again visible, will it fail to register perfectly with our converters and cause beat lines?

Steve

Last edited by Panrock; 1st Jun 2013 at 7:53 am.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 9:57 am   #19
Nicklyons2
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Let's hope they haven't also added black bars either side to make it 16:9.

Steve
If they have - you should get rid of them by selecting 4:3 TV and either 'Pan & Scan' or 'centre cut' on your box's setup menu.

My worry is that they've made it 16:9 by zooming in on the centre horizontal strip; this gets a genuine full width picture but means the top & botton of the original picture get missed off. A lot of WWII footage now suffers this fate.

Last edited by Nicklyons2; 1st Jun 2013 at 9:58 am. Reason: missed out a bit
Old 1st Jun 2013, 11:06 am   #20
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Coronation Broadcast

Hi,
The last time it was shown I managed to squeeze it onto a four hour VHS and displayed it on a Bush TV24 which had a modern monochrome chassis within, plus a small audio amp (from a Bush record player). I thought the image might appear 'too good', but the old telerecording (and the dreadful weather in June 1953) made it look really authentic. It brought back lots of memories for all the elderly folk who saw it, and lots of questions from the young 'uns!
The only snag was the BBC logo in the top left hand corner, but maybe tweaking the height control could have hidden that.
Cheers, Pete.

PS. No TVs were harmed during this excercise, as the set was later returned to original then sold on.