UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2013, 4:08 pm   #1
bobbyball
Octode

Default Ferguson (Thorn) TX100 Chassis audio board

Hi Folks

I have a Ferguson Model 51H5 TV set that I got off fellow Forum member Dazzlevision, fitted with the TX100B chassis and optional SCART board.

It's a stereo "monitor style" model with twin "ear" speakers and works very well, really good picture and an exellent example of it's kind - I suspect there aren't too many of these left. It was the UK's last "gasp" in TV production before the once good name of Ferguson fell to foreign owenership- the rest is well known!

I decided to take the chassis out and give it a good dusting as I'm fussy like that but when I have put it back together and connected everything back up, it works fine apart from the right hand channel having severe distortion at anything higher than low volume. The headphone output is fine on both channels but I think this doesn't come from the TA7227P output chip.

I suspect the two wires to the right hand speaker may have been briefly shorted out and done the output chip a mischief although the chip is supposed to be "short circuit proof". Plugging in an external speaker to the sockets on the back gives perfect audio on the left channel but quieter and badly distorted sound on the right, so I looks like I have "fatigued" it as my my friend often says.

I think it's pretty obvious what I need to do - and a quick online search reveals the IC costs about £7, but I would quite like a curcuit of the audio board anyway - or a complete manual for the TX100 chassis if I can get one.

Has anybody got a circuit of the audio board - or indeed a complete manual including this - that I could beg, steal, buy or borrow??

I usually go for sets like B&O's etc but I just fancied a nice example of what was "Ferguson's last stand" in the TV game...

All the Best to everybody

Robert

Last edited by bobbyball; 31st May 2013 at 4:15 pm.
Old 31st May 2013, 5:29 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson (Thorn) TX100 Chassis audio board

Hi Robert,
Absolutely excellent sets. I might still have some Ferguson service information for 51H5. I'll take a look later.
Nice to keep a British made set from the eighties.

DFWB.
Old 31st May 2013, 6:11 pm   #3
bobbyball
Octode

Hi and thanks!

Yes it's a nice set, very "of it's time" and has been fitted with a replacement (not regunned) CRT so the picture is superb.

The silly little speakers let it down like most sets then - and even more now, but unlike a lot of other sets extension speakers can be plugged in. It just looks the part (or will do when it is fixed...) in my AV setup upstairs.

Cheers again

Robert
Old 31st May 2013, 7:22 pm   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
Hi Folks

I have a Ferguson Model 51H5 TV set that I got off fellow Forum member Dazzlevision, fitted with the TX100B chassis and optional SCART board.
Robert
Hello Robert,

It's actually a 59H5.

Glad you're pleased with it.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 31st May 2013, 7:33 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The 51H5 and 59H5 were marketed as the "Interiors Range" Don't know what that means but they were certainly very good. One of the first sets with Fastext.
I agree, the speakers could have been better.
Not sure about this, but I believe that Ferguson engineers were involved with the development of Fastext. Can anyone confirm this?

DFWB.
Old 31st May 2013, 7:50 pm   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Not sure about this, but I believe that Ferguson engineers were involved with the development of Fastext. Can anyone confirm this?
DFWB.
Hello,

I recall something to that effect. Perhaps a trawl through contemporary "Ferguson Feedback" bulletins or "Television" magazines would confirm this.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 31st May 2013, 8:41 pm   #7
bobbyball
Octode

Sorry I did mean a 59H5, a bit distracted today!!!

Robert
Old 1st Jun 2013, 1:29 pm   #8
Nicklyons2
Octode

I have the full service info for the TX100 range; your model is specifically mentioned. PM me if you are interested. Nick
Old 1st Jun 2013, 2:17 pm   #9
bobbyball
Octode

PM Sent!!

Robert
Closed Thread