UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2018, 10:08 pm   #1
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Default Redifon ATU - ID Please

A friend showed me a Redifon ATU which he's had for a long time. It is a substantial piece of equipment. He hasn't found out which Redifon equipment it belongs to and would like to know. (So would I.)
I have added a couple of pictures showing the front panel and the rear panel with the ID plate. It's pretty clean inside with fixed caps, a variable cap, inductors & a roller coaster.
Can anyone help?
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	167507   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	167508  
Old 14th Aug 2018, 3:05 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Redifon ATU - ID Please

Two possibilities: The Redifon GA481 100W linear amplifier and the Redifon HFA125 125W amplifier.

the former is grey, the latter green.

I used to have an HFA125, but I swapped it for a Marconi H2900! I may still have a field repair kit (spare boards) for it.

One of the Redifon power amps used multiple modules in an oil-filled case!

David
Old 14th Aug 2018, 9:29 am   #3
Sparky67
Heptode

This ATU was part of the Redifon GR410 and GR410T station Jeff, also known as the Larkspur C14 I believe...

Cheers,

Martin
G4NCE
Old 14th Aug 2018, 10:54 am   #4
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Hi David & Martin
Thanks for the info.
I looked the C14 set up in Louis Meulstee's Compendium 2. Interesting set, looks quite useful with 100W SSB.
Many thanks for the info.
Regards
Jeff
G6CQH
Old 14th Aug 2018, 8:34 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've got one of those as part of my HF station. See photo.

It's a Tuning Unit, Aerial - Manual" model 6288R [NATO Stock Number 5820-99-949-2756]

Designed to load relatively-short mobile whip antennas [10-20 foot] generally on the lower-end of the HF band [1.6-10MHz]

A batch of them were sold onto the UK surplus market in the 1970s and reappear regularly at radio-rallies. I got mine from the Newbury rally a decade back; you can guarantee to see at least one turn up there every year. I paid £10 for mine.

They have one major weakness - the cam-detents on the rotary switches are made of 'Mazak' and so after a few decades they go crystalline and crumbly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redifon.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	167560  
Old 15th Aug 2018, 8:50 am   #6
Sparky67
Heptode

There is a bit more info on the GR410 HERE. When I had one I eventually had to make up some extender 'cards' from connectors and cable so the boards could be worked on live out of the chassis.
Closed Thread