UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2016, 8:20 am   #321
Mgmaudio
Tetrode

Default Re: 13A Plugs old and not so old

I wonder how popular they are ?
Old 7th Sep 2016, 1:47 pm   #322
yampy187
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
There was also a 13A plug with a rocker switch (single pole in the live lead) and neon (after the switch).
Ive got one of these somewhere. Made by WG

Jan
Old 7th Sep 2016, 5:18 pm   #323
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgmaudio View Post
I wonder how popular they are ?
Possibly quite a demand, given the number of unswitched multi-way extensions in use.
Old 8th Sep 2016, 10:57 pm   #324
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 13A Plugs old and not so old

Hi,
At the bottom of the photo are my WG switched plugs with neon indicators.
At the top left is a Duraplug with coloured sleeved pins and capable of taking four flexibles and is rated at 5amps. This also has a neon lamp.
The third item is a 'Sunvic simmerstat' plug.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13amp plugs (1).jpg
Views:	554
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	129801  
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 7:44 pm   #325
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalpete View Post
The early 13A plugs tended to be made of formaldehyde because it was glossy, easy to keep clean, robust, smart and had good tracking resistance.
I don't think so.. I think you mean to refer to phenol-formaldehyde thermosetting plastic. Formaldehyde is a gas!

Colin.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 8:13 pm   #326
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0TGX Terry View Post
I don't think I've seen one like this before. It came from a ( now defunct) desk fan, which,if I remember correctly, originally came from Argos. It is unusual..
It sure is, a gravity-defying plug!

Seriously, I think this is another instance of when the forum doesn't change the orientation of a posted picture. Amusing in this case, though.
Colin.
Old 16th Oct 2016, 11:07 pm   #327
unabridged
Tetrode

Ref post 199 - those hard plugs with coloured pins are quite commonplace n my neck of the woods, more often than not supplied loose but I have seen them on some appliances. Many of the suppliers my work uses supply them loose. They are of good stout quality compared to many! it is surprising what some of us see more of that others don't and vice versa!I have a few items I understood to be very rare, yet a friend often comes across them!

Traditionally the 80's duraplugs had the coloured pins, more recently however they have gone black (and are also now made in Malaysia and have a silly price tag on them for a plug!)

On to my post, here is the unused part of my collection...a few are attached to items but I will get them photographed in the next few days as they are of interest.

Of particular note in this pile is the bottom row, first from Left. it is the WG shape but branded "Thorn" - as if it came with or off some kind of lighting equipment? I have this shape branded EMELEC on something too.

On the same row we have an MEM one that I haven't seen elsewhere too.

In the second row up we have the branded plugs which we have all seen before; Granada, BBC, BT and Post Office - incidentally if you have an excess of the BBC plugs, put them on eBay. We recently sold 4 for £15 each. Ridiculous but true.

On the right we have a few plugs and sockets, notably the unused MK 1 amp lock connector.

My final point of interest lays with the switched MK plugs on the right. These two say "AC ONLY" underneath them. Seems odd but I suppose at this point, DC was still in use?

Hope of interest!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02609.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	131408   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02610.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	131409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02611.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	131410  

If it smells like burning chicken, you're holding the wrong end
Old 17th Oct 2016, 12:58 pm   #328
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

From memory the rubber plugs with coloured live/neutral pin-sleeves were *PERMA* plug not *DURA* plug brand.

[In the rubber-mains-plug world there was also "Hercules", which I recall as being a Woolworths/Winfield-only product: not quite as good as Duraplug but a bit cheaper].
Old 17th Oct 2016, 1:30 pm   #329
electrogram
Heptode

I have a Hercules fitted on my Hoover Constellation. The live /neutral pins tend to point towards each other so they are too close together, you have to flex the plug as you insert it into the socket. It is white(-ish!) in colour. I recently bought a hair curler for 50p to get the blue Hercules attached. I have also seen red, and yellow, examples.
Old 17th Oct 2016, 2:42 pm   #330
unabridged
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
From memory the rubber plugs with coloured live/neutral pin-sleeves were *PERMA* plug not *DURA* plug brand.
I myself have not seen this on any Prmas, but have seen it on the later style Duras - looking at one as I write this!

I also have a Hercules pictured above, In surprisingly good condition!

Old 19th Oct 2016, 12:07 am   #331
unabridged
Tetrode

Sorry to dig this back up. Just spotted two more modern Malaysian made Duraplugs with coloured pins. So I guess it's not necessarily age related...

Also on the subject I came across these today that I forgot I had!

New old stock. They have the early W.W.Haffenden stamp inside the Lid, but have the later hard plastic base and plastic cord grip (as opposed to full rubber and paper grip)

I had no idea these were actually white. All the ones I have seen in use have always been badly yellowed, and I just assumed they came out of the factory in a more of white colour.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	131523   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	131524   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	131525   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	131526   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	131527  

Old 19th Oct 2016, 4:29 am   #332
broadgage
Nonode

Re post 216, and the "AC only" marking on a switched 13 amp plug.

Yes DC was still in use when 13 amp plugs were introduced. IIRC though 13 amp plugs and sockets were only intended to be used on AC supplies. The switches in 13 amp sockets were only designed for AC supplies, and wiring regs required that sockets for DC incorporate switches.

The idea was that the presence of a 13 amp socket would indicate to a non-technical person that the supply was 50 cycles AC in the 220 volt to 240 volt range, and that any modern appliance equipped with a matching plug could be used without further investigation.
It was accepted that DC supplies would remain in use, as would AC at non standard frequencies, and voltages of less than 220, but such installations would be equipped with older types of socket.
Old 10th Jul 2018, 9:17 pm   #333
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Plugs and more old Plugs!!

Did any other companies use the binding post terminations rather than barrel and screw? Slightly more difficult to make a good job of connecting but very satisfying when done just so- especially with something a bit recalcitrant like 2.5mm T&E!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Aug 2018, 2:42 pm   #334
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default "Rock"-brand 13A mains plug.

I know there are somer hardcore Plugologists on this forum, so here we go - a "Rock" branded plug acquired on a car-boot-sale radio today.

Un-sleeved live/neutral pins, Woolworth-branded 13A fuse concealed within. I'm guessing it's from the 1960s or 1970s.

The spectral rendition of my phone's camera fails to reproduce the curiously-unattractive Duck-Egg-Blue colour. I remember this colour being popular in my youth for toilets/washbasins/baths; it was also the default colour for the gruesome East-german "Trabant".

Anyone know the history of Rock? And why they made a plug the same colour as a toilet?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rock1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	168180   Click image for larger version

Name:	rock2.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	168181   Click image for larger version

Name:	rock3.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	168182  

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 27th Aug 2018 at 2:49 pm.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 3:24 pm   #335
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: "Rock"-brand 13A mains plug.

Based in Brentford, Middx also made lampholders and adaptors. Later merged with Ashley.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 3:29 pm   #336

That is a fine plug, a bit of style in its shape too.

Old 27th Aug 2018, 7:10 pm   #337
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I know there are somer hardcore Plugologists on this forum, so here we go - a "Rock" branded plug acquired on a car-boot-sale radio today.
Anyone know the history of Rock? And why they made a plug the same colour as a toilet?
Rock Electrical Accessories Ltd, 6 Commerce Road, Brenford, Middx (in 1982).
Manufacturer of electrical accessories (plugs, lampholders, etc.). Later merged with Ashley.

Ashley Accessories Ltd, Morecambe Road, Ulvertson, Cumbria (in 1964 & 82). Maker of electrical witing accessories. Later merged with the “Rock” brand.

Ashley Rock is now part of the Hager group.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 7:31 pm   #338
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Rock Electrical Accessories Ltd, 6 Commerce Road, Brenford, Middx (in 1982).
Manufacturer of electrical accessories (plugs, lampholders, etc.). Later merged with Ashley.

Ashley Accessories Ltd, Morecambe Road, Ulvertson, Cumbria (in 1964 & 82). Maker of electrical witing accessories. Later merged with the “Rock” brand.

Ashley Rock is now part of the Hager group.
Interesting... here for reference is a pic of the plug taken under natural (overcast) daylight, so you can see just how strangely and unatractively blue it is.

[Ponders if Rock did any other oddly-coloured plugs? ]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rock44.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	168211  
Old 27th Aug 2018, 10:32 pm   #339
Electric
Diode

I've got one of those in white/cream, but would assume that is a more common colour.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 11:13 pm   #340
winston_1
Hexode

Got one in red. It was bought in Woolworths around 40 to 50 years ago.
Closed Thread