UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2018, 1:49 pm   #21
Dai Corner
Hexode

Default Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett Swapmeet and auction

I don't know the Golborne area, but a few minutes with Google Maps (other journey planners are available) suggests Newton-le-Willows station is about ten minutes by taxi from the venue. If you're coming from London or Scotland , Warrington Bank Quay Station is a 23 minute taxi ride. Cheaper but slower options are available by bus with an 11 minute walk.
Old 7th Jul 2018, 1:56 pm   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thanks Dai. I will add that info and Mike's info to the locations page on the BVWS website in the next few days.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Jul 2018, 6:25 pm   #23
John10b
Nonode

Thank you for your replies.
Due to my location I don’t tend to attend many events these days, I did go to Warwickshire and bought a few items, I really did enjoy the day, but not the journey.
I used to be a member of various professional bodies and arranged visits to BBC and ITV transmissions centres, also visiting overseas events.
Cheers
John
Old 8th Jul 2018, 12:21 am   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Once you are on the M4 it’s an easy run to RWB, assuming no accidents on the motorway (but since there seems to be at least 3 a week somewhere between the Severn crossing and Swansea that’s not a safe assumption!)

Paul Stenning
Old 8th Jul 2018, 12:26 am   #25
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It’s going to be hot tomorrow afternoon. Please take care.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3D1B1DB-85F0-47EE-A9DD-1B86DF0419C7.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	165749  

Paul Stenning
Old 8th Jul 2018, 9:47 pm   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thank you everyone for another great day, for putting up with the heat, and for your patience at the end of the auction when we were all exhausted. Apart from one large valve that didn't bounce, it all went very smoothly from my perspective. It was damn hot up on that stage helping with the auction, even with the fans and all the doors open!

A real mix of prices in the auction with some very high prices (was it £13k for that early 1900's Marconi multi-tuner unit?) and a few surprisingly low prices. But we probably say something like that every time. Mike did withdraw a few items (such as a valve tester) where he knew the bids were way too low.

With that broken valve the BVWS will just accept the loss; the vendor will still receive what it sold for (less commission as normal) and the buyer was refunded. The society would have made a healthy amount of commission today so it won't be an issue.

Paul Stenning
Old 8th Jul 2018, 9:59 pm   #27
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

What a day, some fantastic prices were achieved today in the auction by some early TV's and WW1 wireless equipment, the largest sum fetching a whopping £13.5k!

It was very very warm and tiring though moving all that gear about on such a hot day and I'm now shattered, the ice cold beer that I'm drinking whilst typing this though is going down a treat!

All in all a great day had by all I think, and remember, it is all of you that make it possible and happen!

See you all at Harpenden. Goodnight!

Cheers
Old 8th Jul 2018, 10:38 pm   #28
Pamphonica
Nonode

Well done both auction and support team (kitchen, door etc). You had a sweltering day to do your stuff. And you managed to keep a smile on your (no doubt exhausted) faces to the very end.
A very interesting auction, if only to be able to see some of those very fine and rare items, especially valves.
Thanks all
Jeremy
Old 9th Jul 2018, 10:49 am   #29
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

I'd also like to add my appreciation to all those involved both before and during such an enjoyable event. I sold almost everything on my stall so went home with a nearly empty van.

It was hot, and the auction team did an excellent job; Mike certainly rattled through the lots to the appreciation of everyone. For the kitchen team it must have been almost unbearable! Thank you.

While collecting chairs at the end, I had a chat with a lady who I think is on the hall committee, so let's not forget the the work some of them also put in - especially the clearing up after a long, hot day!

Ian
Old 9th Jul 2018, 6:42 pm   #30
TVJON74
Triode

I had the best day at RWB!
It was my 1st time at an event. A great bunch of people with lots of interesting items for sale and vintage based chat. Got to meet a few people and put names to faces.
Best of all was helping out with the auction, despite the heat it was great.
Jon
Old 9th Jul 2018, 7:16 pm   #31
David Church
Banned

This was the first event where I have been involved behind the scenes. I was cream crackered by 10pm Saturday night and went on to my Hotel. The others stayed on until 11pm.

I went back in at 7.35 am and I was the late arrival. Still more lugging about, organising stalls etc then after all this Mike had to stay fully focused for the auction.

I wasn’t needed to help on stage so could sit back and bid on 1 or 2 things but afterwards it was more lugging about, clearing up and then loading the van.

When Mike MUST have been wrecked he stacked the van while we passed bits up to him, and he still had time for late leavers with technical questions.

It was at all times good natured and fun, a great bunch putting in time and effort for the good of the BVWS community and it was great being part of it.

And did I mention I got some nice bits? A brilliant weekend!

Last edited by David Church; 9th Jul 2018 at 7:26 pm.
Old 10th Jul 2018, 10:06 am   #32
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

That was a very interesting and enjoyable day. Total respect and admiration to Mike and his team and for the kitchen team. It can not have been easy in that heat.
Old 10th Jul 2018, 10:12 am   #33
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have now updated the BVWS website event locations page to include the public transport details from posts #19 and #21. See https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php

If anyone has any further updates or corrections please PM me.

I have also asked Mike for the results of this auction and of the last Harpenden auction for the website. This may take a few days as he is probably busy and exhausted after Sunday.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread