UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2021, 1:16 pm   #1
Miss_57
Diode

Question Need Help With Westminster A265M Radiogram

Introduction

Hello, I am a 21 year old who really loves vintage radios and record players.

Problem
I have just bought my first radiogram a Westminster A265M, and I can't get the turntable to work. I don't know anything about this model, but I have a small amount of knowledge with Record players.

The Radio
The radio side works, although it will only pickup 1 station labelled "Hilversum" on the "L" (long) band/wave. - for this is need to know if I need to find an aerial of if it should work without one and I just need to find the right method of use.

The Turntable/Record Changer
There is a humming sound coming from inside whih indicates that it is powered, however i cannot get the turntable to turn, and even though it is written on the paper insert, I can't figure out how to load vinyls on. From images I've seen of other radiograms, they show only singles on the changer, and so I wonder if it does not work with full size vinyls.

There are two wires that go to the pickup that aren't connected, and I wonder if this is the issue or if the wires have been changed and the originals left unconnected.

Conclusion
If anybody has one of these, or has any knowledge or diagrams of one and could give me any help I would really appreciate it. As mentioned I am a young vintage-enthusiast and have always wanted a Radiogram. I have a deep passion for music and radio, and to get this working would be wonderful. I don't know of it's just user error, if it's a quick fix, of if she is just too far gone. I am willing to spend on repair, service, ect if needed.

Thank you, any help would be great ~ Miss_57 (miss being my gender identity, 57 being my favourite year.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 4:03 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Need Help With Westminster A265M Radiogram

Welcome! To get you started this is a very basic Mono valve Radiogram. It uses a "Live" chassis so do not attempt any work on this when it is powered up! The 2 spare wires in the tone-arm are for stereo use. You need not worry about these as yours is a Mono only player. Uness the cartridge has been changed, do not play Stereo LPs this. The turntable will play ALL sizes of records, 7", 10" and 12" and they can be stacked in mixed sizes. I suspect this uses a BSR UA14 autochanger and the platter will need removing in order to investigate the drive to the inner rim of the platter. Your radio has a built in ferrite rod aerial so you will not need an external one. Can you send some photos to help confirm my assumptions?
Old 4th Jul 2021, 5:30 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

Unfortunately for you, there's more to these old radio/record players than you might think.

Edward's advice above is correct. Don't play any vinyl LP records on this player if it has a pickup cartridge with a turn over flag that protrudes from the front of the head, as this type will tend to spoil your stereo records. If it is the type with a flag that flips under to change the stylus from vinyl to shellac (78s), then this will be fine for your LPs when set to the 'LP' stylus. Even with the right cartridge and stylus you can still spoil your records if the stylus is worn out. Use an old record that you're not too bothered about for initial testing. Ideally you'll also need a stylus pressure gauge to check the tracking weight to prevent damage to stylus, cartridge and records.

The station you heard on long wave could have been BBC radio 4. There should be a couple of stations to be found on medium wave - sounds like it needs some work...get the meter and the soldering iron out!
Old 4th Jul 2021, 8:40 pm   #4
Station X

Lots of useful info here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ion/index.html

Westminster was a Currys' brand. Service information is difficult to obtain, but often a circuit diagram can be found pasted to the inside of the radio/recordplayer's cabinet.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread